Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2011 MK3 Clutch, is there a problem? I humbly ask.

CrazyInWeston

Okay so, I have only asked this (I wouldnt normally) but everywhere on the internet I am getting conflicting information yes its bad or no its fine blah blah of varying degrees that I just dont understand it.

But can anyone tell me (please and thank you) a clutch pedal that feels like nothing is there for the first I dunno 1/4 of its travel (but will always return) however with a biting point being like 4/5cm off the floor. It doesnt feel stiff or hard (it feels just like my previous 2cars). In very simple terms.

The car does seems to pull away very quickly and if I'm too slow when changing from 1st to 2nd gear the car will just jerk forward to a higher speed. I dont hear any slippage (I am deaf though...can slippage be felt through the pedal? What would that feel like but it seems fairly smooth) Other than hearing what are the other 3 senses barring taste is a slipping clutch (eyes, smells, feel) 

I ask as the pedal is like for the 1st quarter of its travel I can dance on it, its like theres nothing there.

One note I can add, that if I have the accel pedal too hard whilst its on hill start assist (of which I'm still trying to get used to as there is a 1 second delay before the brakes will release) I can launch start to almost 30mph immediately lol, its like a sudden WOAFT off the line! So I'm under the impression it cannot be a bad clutch....right?

anyway thanks again in advance for replies/suggestions etc.

The clutch is a very high bite in the 1.6 Focus you just have to get used to the point and let it out slowly. If it was slipping there would be no bite and all you would hear is the accelerator going with no/ slight movement.

Clutch slippage - if it's slipping you (or a passenger leaning near you with a mask) should be able to see that by looking at the rev counter and seeing if it rises faster than the speedo when you accelerate (and then the speedo would gradually catch up while the engine revs level out).

I had a similar problem, from when I bought the car,  when changing from 1st to 2nd gear the car will just jerk forward to a higher speed and was told by the local Ford people is was my driving style! 

This magically disappeared after the Ford recall "18S07 - Clutch slip detection software"  which updated the powertrain control module. 

The details of the recall did not match the problem Ford had identified but it certainly fixed my problem.

Worth checking to see if this has been carried out.

15 hours ago, GWR52 said:

I had a similar problem, from when I bought the car,  when changing from 1st to 2nd gear the car will just jerk forward to a higher speed and was told by the local Ford people is was my driving style! 

This magically disappeared after the Ford recall "18S07 - Clutch slip detection software"  which updated the powertrain control module. 

The details of the recall did not match the problem Ford had identified but it certainly fixed my problem.

Worth checking to see if this has been carried out.

I am told by some people "just release extra very slowly!!" I do look on the net and find in most cars people have a problem with 1st into 2nd. But I may look into that thanks.

On 3/20/2022 at 9:19 AM, F0CUE said:

The clutch is a very high bite in the 1.6 Focus you just have to get used to the point and let it out slowly. If it was slipping there would be no bite and all you would hear is the accelerator going with no/ slight movement.

By "High bite" do you mean high off the floor? Or "high bite" means close to the floor? I cant get the terminology because some people refer it to a depress and others refer it to a press. Because mine is very very low and by that as I said in OP is like 4/5cm off the floor before it bites very low almost full press, I hardly have to get the pedal off the floor before it bites, all cars I had previously was like pretty much halfway but I do understand that if slippage there is no bite then if you say so, car has quite a strong one so I assume its okay...right? But then why before pressing the actual pedal is there this massive spongy bit, and a bite thats from hardly off the floor! There is leeway in the pedal as I press down, before it actually does something. I only ask as never had that before. Thanks.

It's not surprising it jerks forward if the bite point is so low. That definitely sounds abnormal. Most people complain the Focus bite point is too high. It might have air in the system. I'd try getting it bled before you go any further.

If the system is definitely free of air then I would say you either have a problem with the slave cylinder or the master cylinder.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club