Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Blower resistor fitting issues

Vectorspace

Did I buy the wrong blower resistor, or was I supplied an incorrect or defective part?

I have a 2015 FIesta Mk6, and I have the classic issue of the blower fan only working on 4.

So I did some googling and research and found the cause was most likely the resistor. So I bought this part off eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384440443401 which does say is compatible with Mk6/7, and when I put my reg plate into eBay to filter by my speciic car, this was the top result.

Attempted to fit it, but it would not fit into its mounting point under the dashboard. If you see the attached image, the width of the raised section (the distance between the red lines) is about 1 or 2 mm wider than on the original resistor.

The plastic base is also notable visually different to the original - if you look at the main image of the eBay listing, the component I was sent is prominently displayed, and in the bottom left is an image of the base from the connector side - except with a different design. That design matches my original.

And finally, the green wrapped portion is significantly taller than the original.

I have been in touch with the seller and they have offered to replace or refund, but I want to confirm I haven't made some other error first.

Did I buy the wrong part? Is it mislabeled, or defective? Any advice is appreciated.

fiesta blower resistor ebay 20210322.png

It would be helpful if you posted a photo of your original

• Like 1

Yes that would have definitely been the smart thing to do!

It's back in the car and I don't have time today to pull it out and photograph it (it is so awkward to get at!), but I will do so tomorrow.

If memory serves my original looks more like this: https://m.autopartspro.co.uk/mahle-original-15285579

I don’t know if it works same way as mk1 focus. On my focus it only worked on number 4. I found that the thermal fuse on the resistor pack had blown. I soldered on a new fuse. I think it was a quid on eBay.    It the blew again .  I then found the reason was the fan motor was stiff causing extra load meaning resistor got hotter than should and blows thermal fuse.  Then cleaned up and lubricated fan motor bearings and did thermal fuse again and all was fine. So you you might find similar problem

I have pulled the old resistor out again and taken more photos, they are attacked.

For the side by side pictures, the original is on the right, new on the left. You can see that the new one is longer and has a differently shaped base.

The other two pictures show the width difference - the raised portion on the base on the resistor side is exactly 1mm wider on the new resistor (39mm vs 38mm).

I have done more parts searching, and every website I have tried shows resistors with both base designs as being applicable to my car (searched by reg plate)

18 hours ago, isetta said:

I don’t know if it works same way as mk1 focus. On my focus it only worked on number 4. I found that the thermal fuse on the resistor pack had blown. I soldered on a new fuse. I think it was a quid on eBay.    It the blew again .  I then found the reason was the fan motor was stiff causing extra load meaning resistor got hotter than should and blows thermal fuse.  Then cleaned up and lubricated fan motor bearings and did thermal fuse again and all was fine. So you you might find similar problem

I have heard that can be the root cause of the resistor blowing, and if the new one blows again I will investigate that. But I can't find any guides on how to get to the motor bearings - I could only find guides on how to remove the motor entirely which seemed to require dismandling the whole dashboard.

side by side 1.jpg

side by side 2.jpg

new width.jpg

old width.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club