Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK3 to Mk3.5 overhead light cluster

Tinbum

Was wondering if anyone has changed their MK3 overhead light cluster to one from a MK3.5?

Mine is a Titanium X with the ambient lighting but I've noticed on the later models there were also 2 led down lighters fitted into the module. It's only a 3 pin connector so only 3 wires that could be possibly spliced into the existing feed just need to know which wires.

If you mean updating the interior light from dome lights to Led's then I have done this upgrade and wrote up a guide in the Focus 'Guides' section.

• Like 2

No mate I mean replacing the whole cluster for one from a MK3.5 which seems to have its own down lighters built in......this cable has 2 led's which shine through tiny holes in the actual cluster unit.

3 hours ago, Tinbum said:

No mate I mean replacing the whole cluster for one from a MK3.5 which seems to have its own down lighters built in......this cable has 2 led's which shine through tiny holes in the actual cluster unit.

Oh that sounds interesting. I don't suppose you have a picture?

You can see them fitted here on the outside of the console unit. There is a 16 pin connector which powers/controls the ambient lighting dimmer etc, there must be a way of splicing into this to power two tiny submarine led's.....? I'm just having difficulty finding out which cables to use 

20220326_111727.jpg

20220326_111729.jpg

20220326_111737.jpg

20220326_111740.jpg

On the Mk 3 (not the 3.5) wiring diagram there is a 'roof console illumination' unit that has 3 wires. On the diagram pin 1 connects to pin 16 on the 16 pin connector. Pin 2 connects to pin 15 on the 16 pin connector and pin 3 is ground. 

I'm not 100% sure if you are swapping your existing overhead console for the one you've pictured. If so, do you have the 16pin connector there already? If not, it looks like you'll have to power this unit. Pin 8 is the power and pin 5 is ground. Pin 7 is the switch illumination.  

This is all from the mk3 wiring diagram (page 50 if you have the pdf). 

On 3/26/2022 at 9:31 PM, Nathan Buffery said:

On the Mk 3 (not the 3.5) wiring diagram there is a 'roof console illumination' unit that has 3 wires. On the diagram pin 1 connects to pin 16 on the 16 pin connector. Pin 2 connects to pin 15 on the 16 pin connector and pin 3 is ground. 

I'm not 100% sure if you are swapping your existing overhead console for the one you've pictured. If so, do you have the 16pin connector there already? If not, it looks like you'll have to power this unit. Pin 8 is the power and pin 5 is ground. Pin 7 is the switch illumination.  

This is all from the mk3 wiring diagram (page 50 if you have the pdf). 

Yes mate 16 pin connector there already was just wondering if I could splice into these cables to power the submarine led's on my new overhead console 

Ok if you have the 16pin connector then I believe it'll just be a case of adding a couple of pins to the connector and splicing into the earth. 

Are the colours on you 16 pin connector as follows..?

Pin 5 = Black

Pin 6 = Violet

Pin 7 = Blue & White

Pin 8 = Brown and Green

And are there no pins in no. 15 & 16?

Yes from memory, I'll double check. The plug on the end of the LEDs is just a small 3 pin connector

All wired and sorted......totally changes the feeling in the front of the car even though I already had ambient lighting, these down lights make a big difference. They change colour and dim along with the existing LED's 👍

20220330_184723.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club