Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk7 Coolant

wozza89

Hi,

I've just done my checks on the car, which i'll admit haven't been done for a while, and the coolant (orange coloured) is on the minimum and the oil is just above the minimum.

These were taken when the car was cold, so that can't be an issue, the first service for the car is Sept '10.

Can you give me any advice in what to do, this is my first brand new car, and i'm not entirely sure where i stand with my warranty with oil etc.

So would it be best for me to go out and buy some coolant (of the same kind) so that i can top it up, or is this something Ford should be doing, also same with the oil...?

What coolant is it, that is being used?

Thanks

Hi,

I've just done my checks on the car, which i'll admit haven't been done for a while, and the coolant (orange coloured) is on the minimum and the oil is just above the minimum.

These were taken when the car was cold, so that can't be an issue, the first service for the car is Sept '10.

Can you give me any advice in what to do, this is my first brand new car, and i'm not entirely sure where i stand with my warranty with oil etc.

So would it be best for me to go out and buy some coolant (of the same kind) so that i can top it up, or is this something Ford should be doing, also same with the oil...?

Thanks

Was the car level or on a slope when you checked?

There's no warranty on the oil and coolant unless there's a leak somewhere. Is there any sign of leakage (oil on the engine, etc)?

The oil and filter is changed at the service, but you need to top it up yourself in between. All engines burn a little oil and it gets worse as they get older. You shouldn't need to top it up more than every few months unless there's a leak or worn piston rings, etc, but I'd recommend buying a 5litre can (for about £30) of the right type to keep in the garage and top up when you need to.

Coolant shouldn't be used up (I've never touched mine between services). I'd keep an eye on the level and if it drops below the minimum line go to the dealer and ask them to take a look.

if the coolant level is worrying you,just add a bit of water,this will slightly dilute the anti freeze aspect,but as we are currently in the summer,and youve a service due in september,this wont be a problem.

If the oil is "just above the minimum" ,then thats ok,you only need to worry of it goes below.

A new petrol engine shouldnt need oil top ups between services.

Dave

Just take it 2 ur dealer for a free health check they will top it all up and let you know if there is a problem

This seems to be a common problem, my friend and old neighbour picked up a mark 7 fiesta back in October and needed to top up the coolant within two months, not sure if Ford are filling them to the required level but two months and the coolant is nearly gone! I've just topped mine up with Halfords Pink Coolant and done the same to my neighbours.

Davy

Thanks for the replies, I will use a small amount of water in the coolant then, just to top it up.

Although the oil, I still believe to be an issue, i would have thought after the first 1-2000 miles it would have needed a flushing and new oil being put in. This doesn't seem to be the case though! It's just above the minimum, it'll stay like that until it goes for its first service.

if the coolant level is worrying you,just add a bit of water,this will slightly dilute the anti freeze aspect,but as we are currently in the summer,and youve a service due in september,this wont be a problem.

If the oil is "just above the minimum" ,then thats ok,you only need to worry of it goes below.

"]A new petrol engine shouldnt need oil top ups between services.i would not go with that advice as cars do need a top up in between services petrol or diesel

Hi,

Thanks

Hi,

It isn't unusual for some new engines to consume a little oil for the first few thousand miles, as the mechanical parts (piston rings etc) will need to "bed in" & form a good seal. If yours is just above minuimum & not due for a service imminently then if I was you I'd top it up, just to be on the safe side - the tutor on my car maintenance course many years ago always drummed into his students that "oil is the most important part of an engine"...

With regard to the coolant, my Mk7 was supplied (new) with coolant precisely on the "minimum" mark on the reservoir. I bought some antifreeze from my local Ford dealer & topped it up to the "maximum" level - it hasn't altered since. Would recommend the usage of Ford antifreeze as it isn't always wise to mix different types. Also don't just top up with water because you'll dilute the antifreeze resulting in internal corrosion of the alloy engine block & cylinder head - it's essential to maintain a minimum antifreeze concentration of 50% at all times in these engines.

Hope this is helpful!

Just had a look at the coolant level on ours whilst filling up the washer fluid and it is actually 1 or 2 mm below the minimum line. The car (1.6tdci Mk7) has 11.2k miles on it and hasn't had its first service yet.

Do people think I should just take it to the dealer and buy some to top it up?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club