Do Not Sell My Personal Information

speedometer is reading 10 mph too fast

tonybmxer242

Does anyone know how to recalibrate the speedometer on a ford fusion 2008 1.4 petrol auto. Also can someone tell me which is the fuse to change for that and the fuel gauge as that's not working either. Or how do i replace it and put my mileage onto a replacement or is this just a sensor. if someone has a Haynes manual if you can let me know please.Thanks in advance.

There is no fuse for the instrument cluster.

Is the speedo 10MPH out across the range meaning it never goes to zero ?

Why is it out, did you change the road wheels for a different size?

You can't just change the instrument cluster for a different one. The PATS security system is part of it and your car won't start if you change it.

If you replace the IC with a second hand unit you need to make sure that the replacement has less mileage than yours.

You can use FORScan software to reprogramme the replacement instrument cluster. Mileage can be adjusted up (but not down) to match your original mileage. You will need to reprogramme the PATS keys back in to your car.

• Like 2

Tyres and wheels look to be original size. I got the car a few weeks ago but hadn't been on the motorway to notice speed difference properly. I will probably leave it then if i have to do all that. How do you get forscan software anyway and do you need a plug in gadget that plus into computer port?. 

How do you know it's reading 10 mph fast?

14 minutes ago, alanfp said:

How do you know it's reading 10 mph fast?

lots of flashes from speed cameras and 12 points on his licence 🤣

• Haha 1

Perhaps there’s a lot of rattles which makes it feel faster than it is

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2022 at 10:30 PM, isetta said:

Perhaps there’s a lot of rattles which makes it feel faster than it is

No rattles in a Fusion !

Digressing ...... Radio remote on my 2008 Focus does rattle, but easily ignored with Bruch Violin Concerto on max!

• 2 weeks later...

I cant offer any fixes but if it helps I have the same problem with my 1.6 Petrol Fusion. When its not moving I am doing 5mph according to the speedo. It seems to be the same at all speeds according to those speed cameras that show your speed.

The first time I noticed it was after I removed the binnacle. But I don't know if me removing it was the cause.

Ray

• 11 months later...

I have had two UK P reg Ford KAs. They both had 10mph optomistic speedos. On the speedos of this model the speedo started at 10mph, there was no zero mph mark. As soon as the car moved the needle would lift off the 10mph end stop. I only noticed when I got a sat nav that I had been driving in 30mph areas at 20mph etc. My thoughts were that the speedo was assembled incorrectly, either from new or it had been dismantled and reassembled later on in it lfe.