Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk7 1.4 TDCi high miles steering issues

Simez

Does anyone know what would cause 'clonking' when turning the steering wheel  and also a 'ticking' noise when driving and veering left? I've replaced the track rod end ball joints and it's helped the ticking sound a bit but still there, is it even safe to drive like that??

Sounds like a driveshaft on the way out. 

I don’t know where your clonking is from but mk7 is known to have a problem with clicking from universal joint on the steering shaft up under the dash. Due to needing oil /grease. I’ve not had the problem myself but read about it loads of times on this forum

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, auldreekie said:

Sounds like a driveshaft on the way out. 

Yikes is that a big/expensive job?

16 hours ago, isetta said:

I don’t know where your clonking is from but mk7 is known to have a problem with clicking from universal joint on the steering shaft up under the dash. Due to needing oil /grease. I’ve not had the problem myself but read about it loads of times on this forum

Is yours a high miler though Isetta? Mines done a giddy 137k 🥴😵

Almost certainly the n/s CV joint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Simez said:

Yikes is that a big/expensive job?

The cv joint part itself is not too expensive, if getting a garage to sort it the labour will push the price right up. Its not a 5 min job. Last time I did one myself was 2 decades ago, and that was on the street. Garage hydraulic ramps make the job easier. 🙄 

23 hours ago, auldreekie said:

The cv joint part itself is not too expensive, if getting a garage to sort it the labour will push the price right up. Its not a 5 min job. Last time I did one myself was 2 decades ago, and that was on the street. Garage hydraulic ramps make the job easier. 🙄 

Ok many thanks I'll go get it priced up 👍 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club