Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus MK4 rattle/buzz/vibration when accelerating

Jayas

Hi everyone,

A few weeks back I switched from a Fiesta MK7.5 to a Focus MK4.

A really nice ride overall but when I'm accelerating in first, second, (sometimes third gear) I'm hearing some kind of rattling. Looks to be coming from between motor compartment and the dash. Not really sure if it's in the center or from the lefthand side.

I don't think it's the 3 cylinder Ecoboost sound, it really sounds like something is rattling with the vibration of the engine. It's not there when idling. Also the cruising speed is fine so I'm not experiencing any cylinder cancelation (at least not hearing it)

Does this sound familiar to anyone of you?

My car is a LHD (Dutch car). Some Dutch people where talking about a Technical service Bulletin (TSB18-2304) but I couldn't find anything with it

• Thanks 1

Is it a high or a low pitch sound ?

neither to be honest, it sounds like something rattling. When idling I can also here something but it's not too loud, I'm not exactly sure if both are from the same source.

• Thanks 1

I too have a vibration, just at low revs pulling away from a stand still, I have the 1.5 if that makes a difference, seems to come from the center dash, I've tried touching all the plastics in that area as I'm pulling away, but can not locate the source, it's just a little annoying.

• Thanks 1

On a Ford thats what your radio is for. 

• Haha 4

Sad, but true.

• Thanks 2

On 4/4/2022 at 12:06 PM, Nimrodmk8 said:

I too have a vibration, just at low revs pulling away from a stand still, I have the 1.5 if that makes a difference, seems to come from the center dash, I've tried touching all the plastics in that area as I'm pulling away, but can not locate the source, it's just a little annoying.

Yeah I also tried to get on my back beneath de dash with a flashlight and a stethoscope while driving, not that simple I can tell you 😉

The search continues, as I kept on reading online for the last few days I see that it's a common problem.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Jayas said:

Yeah I also tried to get on my back beneath de dash with a flashlight and a stethoscope while driving, not that simple I can tell you 😉

The search continues, as I kept on reading online for the last few days I see that it's a common problem.

Appears to sound around the centre vent area, no noise when driving, just pulling away from standstill, if other people are having the same problem, I don't feel so bad, wish I could trace the noise, the glove box vibrated bout stuck a rubber pad inside which stopped that vibration.

• Thanks 1

I got the same problem. It appeared only after the oil change. In the back of the steering wheel, mid center dash, only on a cold engine, between 1600rpm and 2000 rpm. Only when is in gear, nothing on standstill or idle. After a few minutes dissappears. A buddy of mine, same engine 1.5, same year 2019, same problem. If you fund something let me know. If i find something i will post here. Regards guys! Happy hunting! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I found the source.

In my case it were the shifting cables (pardon me if this is not the right term)

Needed 1 extra person to find the rattle (within a few minutes). Luckily the sound also started to appear when idling.

I put a litte rubber between the cables where there is a rubber sleeve already and the plastic piece above (not in the picture). This fixed the problem. I think the thing that is rattling is some kind of cap in the bulkhead bit still have to dig a little deeper. The extra rubber fixed the rattling anyway

• blue arrow is pointing to dash and bulkhead
  • second picture in the bottom you see the catalytic convertor (edit: for reference of location)

image.thumb.png.aa8fdb880af7dde209f80dd7bb3b7d1c.pngimage.thumb.png.cdacdc6d4d38ea0244a68c361052e095.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 4/20/2022 at 9:17 PM, Jayas said:

Hi guys, I found the source.

In my case it were the shifting cables (pardon me if this is not the right term)

Needed 1 extra person to find the rattle (within a few minutes). Luckily the sound also started to appear when idling.

I put a litte rubber between the cables where there is a rubber sleeve already and the plastic piece above (not in the picture). This fixed the problem. I think the thing that is rattling is some kind of cap in the bulkhead bit still have to dig a little deeper. The extra rubber fixed the rattling anyway

• blue arrow is pointing to dash and bulkhead
  • second picture in the bottom you see the catalytic convertor (edit: for reference of location)

image.thumb.png.aa8fdb880af7dde209f80dd7bb3b7d1c.pngimage.thumb.png.cdacdc6d4d38ea0244a68c361052e095.png

I will check it out this weekend Jayas, Hope fully mine is the same vibration, mine seems to act the same way, when it's cold it vibrates not at idle, but when I pull away, it's just annoying, it sounds as though it's coming form the central dash area, I had a squeaky clutch pedal on my MR2, I packed the pedal in grease, which made no difference found out it was the clutch fork, which was behind me as engine in the rear, so sound can be deceptive.

Today or tomorrow I will try to take a look beneath de dashboard where the cables are going through the bulkhead, hope to post some pictures etc. soon

• Like 1

Not sure if you have the 1.5 ecoboost, just looked at mine, it appears a different layout to yours, it's not a concern, one day I hope to find the source of the vibration, only seems to happen when cold and pulling away, nothing at idle or driving.

No I have the 1.0 Ecoboost 125bhp

Tried to take some pictures today with my endoscope. Thinking there's a vibration between the gearshifter/selector cables and the exhaust shield (?) Not sure how this should be but with the endoscope I saw that the cable(s) touch the shield.

• the red arrows are pointing to the same part, either from within the cabin or from the engine bay
  • not really sure what to do.
  • Think I'll try to fix the cables at the start before going over the exhaust shield
  • the temporary fix doesn't work that good anymore (a piece of neoprene rubber pressed where the rubber sleeve touches the plastic holder)

1484099501_Schermafbeelding2022-04-23om16_34_26.thumb.png.6eafa720e2e3217ef3825e5d1964823a.png255134631_Schermafbeelding2022-04-23om16_27_08.thumb.png.ac22f7e0b6d2c179aa2df0bbccd620cd.png761731823_Schermafbeelding2022-04-23om16_31_57.thumb.png.e338b3a18596882b5682d825fbd7fd56.png1152594887_Schermafbeelding2022-04-23om16_20_57.thumb.png.ac9b381014312855174b08a84409ab6c.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you are in the right area, I fiddled about on Saturday with the pipes on the bulk head, drove to work this morning and no vibration, I'm sure it won't last, not sure if silicone on the cable would cure problem? another issue I have sometimes is when I check the car in neutral an wriggle the gear lever left and right I get a squeak, the above illustration will help with that, so thanks

I think there may be a TSB for this. I had an issue with vibration/buzzing not long after getting my 1.5 and dealer fitted a clip on what I think was the heater pipework near the bulkhead but can't quite recall. I do remember though that this fix was intended for 1.0 and my issue turned out to be unrelated - may be worth checking with dealer.

My car is in for an oil change this weekend so will try to find out TSB reference.

Al

• Like 2

Yes that's true, I found one too except that I don't know which TSB number. In my case it's not the heating tubes going into the cabin.

I think the vibrations from the Ecoboost can cause more rattles due to pipes/tubes/cables going into the cabin

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2022 at 10:08 AM, Jayas said:

Yes that's true, I found one too except that I don't know which TSB number. In my case it's not the heating tubes going into the cabin.

I think the vibrations from the Ecoboost can cause more rattles due to pipes/tubes/cables going into the cabin

Thank you, Jayes. You did a very good job pointing me in the right direction. Mine doesn't rattle at idle or in standstill, only in gear between 1600- 2000rpm. So it was nearly impossible for me to find the source. Now i have to find a way to fix it. Mine is a LHD .I have another piece of plastic holding those two cables together , just in front of the rubber sleeve. Where did you placed the extra rubber? In top of the cables, underneath or inbetween ? Near the bulkhead or more towrds the engine? I will add some pictures with my situation. Thank you.

3 hours ago, Chris 2022 said:

Thank you, Jayes. You did a very good job pointing me in the right direction. Mine doesn't rattle at idle or in standstill, only in gear between 1600- 2000rpm. So it was nearly impossible for me to find the source. Now i have to find a way to fix it. Mine is a LHD .I have another piece of plastic holding those two cables together , just in front of the rubber sleeve. Where did you placed the extra rubber? In top of the cables, underneath or inbetween ? Near the bulkhead or more towrds the engine? I will add some pictures with my situation. Thank you.

I don't know if other cars ( 1.5ecoblue) have fitted that plastic thing or not. Maybe some over zellous mechanic put it by mistake. Anyway I  removed it. The rattle seems to be gone. Anyway...those cables don't belong together. 

IMG_20220528_131259~2.jpg

19 hours ago, Chris 2022 said:

I don't know if other cars ( 1.5ecoblue) have fitted that plastic thing or not. Maybe some over zellous mechanic put it by mistake. Anyway I  removed it. The rattle seems to be gone. Anyway...those cables don't belong together. 

IMG_20220528_131259~2.jpg

In the morning, the rattle is still there. I have to look inside between the bulkhead and the gearshifter. 

I'm not sure how the engine is positioned in a LHD but the shiftercables are positioned a little bit different. The clamp could be there for a reason but I'm not sure if it's factory fitted (mainly due to the white tie wrap 😉 )

I think mine are still vibrating against the heatshield over the catalyst. Sometimes I hear the vibration at different speeds.

The cables are not really running through the bulkhead but through a 'tunnel' (I'm sure 'tunnel' is the correct scientific word for it 😛 ) which runs from front to back where in the back it is much lower (in front of the middle rear seat). They enter the car through a thick piece of rubber which is bolted to a gap in the 'tunnel' https://fordowner.b-cdn.net/uploads/monthly_2022_04/255134631_Schermafbeelding2022-04-23om16_27_08.thumb.png.ac22f7e0b6d2c179aa2df0bbccd620cd.png

the Ecoboost, but I'm sure also a lot of other engines, are moving quite a bit while driving/accelerating/idling/shifting. This movement is also transferred to the shifter cables but also the heater hoses so I'm sure there are more related vibration issues

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 3:08 PM, Jayas said:

I'm not sure how the engine is positioned in a LHD but the shiftercables are positioned a little bit different. The clamp could be there for a reason but I'm not sure if it's factory fitted (mainly due to the white tie wrap 😉 )

I think mine are still vibrating against the heatshield over the catalyst. Sometimes I hear the vibration at different speeds.

The cables are not really running through the bulkhead but through a 'tunnel' (I'm sure 'tunnel' is the correct scientific word for it 😛 ) which runs from front to back where in the back it is much lower (in front of the middle rear seat). They enter the car through a thick piece of rubber which is bolted to a gap in the 'tunnel' https://fordowner.b-cdn.net/uploads/monthly_2022_04/255134631_Schermafbeelding2022-04-23om16_27_08.thumb.png.ac22f7e0b6d2c179aa2df0bbccd620cd.png

the Ecoboost, but I'm sure also a lot of other engines, are moving quite a bit while driving/accelerating/idling/shifting. This movement is also transferred to the shifter cables but also the heater hoses so I'm sure there are more related vibration issues

I removed that clamp.Nothing. Tried different damping materials placed on top, in between, underneath. Nothing. When I push the clutch the noise is gone. When I shift it to neutral gone. I'm sure is related to shifting cables. I'm clueless to where exactly the rattle happens. I have to look from underneath the car. Somewhere they touch the heat shield or some plastic. Maybe we will discover the culprit and make it stop.

• 1 month later...

Fount it ! It's about those two hoses that enter the bulkhead behind the engine up. They need a plastic clamp. If you don't have it, get one from Ford.If you have it push it towards the bulkhead and fix it into position with something. Problem fixed! Man I'm so happy!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/10/2022 at 10:16 AM, Chris 2022 said:

Fount it ! It's about those two hoses that enter the bulkhead behind the engine up. They need a plastic clamp. If you don't have it, get one from Ford.If you have it push it towards the bulkhead and fix it into position with something. Problem fixed! Man I'm so happy!

Do you think any clamp would do? Could get some for 50 cents from the hardware store

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club