Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to transfer from old Andriod phone to new Android phone?

StephenFord

My current android phone is currently getting a bit glitchy, but I can more than cope with it (I'm not a heavy phone user). I am about to buy an exact same replacement (A WileyFox Swift 2, 32Gb) just to have in as a spare, they are becoming increasing hard to get.

My current way of thinking is when I get the 'new' one is just to download individual app per app, and when the old one finally does bite the bullet, then login to Google on new one to ensure all my contacts are downloaded.

1. Now, I have about half a dozen paid for apps, will my paid subscription be automatically be installed?
  2. Am I about to make a dogs dinner out of this or is there a 'proper' way to transfer from an old to new phone?
  3. Can I run both phones simultaneously via WiFi (albeit one without a SIM), or do I need to decommission one first?

Yes, this is the first time I've ever changed an Android phone as I only went Smart 2 years ago LOL

Google allows you to copy your old apps etc across.  You can choose how much you want to copy when you set it up.

Yes you can use both phones on WiFi.  Just one will state 'no service'.

What I found really interesting is that the weight of the SIM can be felt despite being so small.  I guess it's because it's something I hold several times a day!?  I also have a spare identical phone for when the power port finally fails on this one!  Everything on it works the same, only difference is no contacts as those are stored on my SIM.

I've never paid for an app in my life so don't know about that lol.  Would assume the payment is linked to your login/email address.

Follow up question!

How do I ensure that all the various WiFi passwords stored on original phone can be easily transferred to new one? Can 'google' backup those settings?

(I have no interest in 'rooting' phone as firstly, I don't really know what that involves, and secondly, if I open up my phones 'bonnet' it'll likely never work again LOL

If you use google for 99% of things all your passwords will be saved, when you fire up the new one it will ask if you want to transfer from another device.

When you sign into google on your new phone ALL will be there.

Rooting involves hacking the phone with custom software, and if done wrong you'll wind up with a brick. stay well clear.

2 minutes ago, JImpster said:

Rooting involves hacking the phone with custom software, and if done wrong you'll wind up with a brick. stay well clear.

I had an idea that was the case - when I googled how to transfer WiFi passwords, kept getting an app called  'DroidKit', which just sounded like a terrifying experience as it mentioned 'rooting' the phone LOL

• Like 1

Do you mean Wifi passwords for different routers, or website passwords?

Website passwords are all stored on Google (if you've allowed that) so copy across any device you use.  

I think you'd have to manually add any router passwords each time you're within range of a 'new' one though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Do you mean Wifi passwords for different routers, or website passwords?

I mean different routers. Being out & about I often tap into 'free' WiFi wherever available, which means on return visits, my phone auto connects. Can't really be bothered having to re-enter all that info on a new phone LOL

• Like 1

I'm impressed!! Got my 'new' phone today, bargain at £40, for a 'grade A' refurb. Looks mint. Started her up, logged in with my google sign in, and it automatically downloaded all my apps, complete with all contacts (inc favourites) and even my wallpaper! On leaving both phones on desk, got them mixed up they were so alike! In the olden days, it use to take an age upgrading one Nokia to another. Some of the apps need populated with info, but I can cope with that.

During the 'start' procedure, it confirmed that all WiFi passwords would be transferred over.

All in all, much less of a headache than I thought I'd have...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I tend NOT to buy or rent new, when up for a change i usually peruse CEX, may cost a little more but worth it for the 2 year warranty.

3 minutes ago, JImpster said:

I tend NOT to buy or rent new, when up for a change i usually peruse CEX, may cost a little more but worth it for the 2 year warranty.

I love CEX but on visiting recently, I wasn't even allowed to handle the phones in case I killed all the staff! LOL Wonder if their head office realises how much their Covid rules p*ss off actual customers!

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Bessie Moss said:

You can use the Es file explorer app at https://apkcima.com/ to move apps between your Android devices.

Thanks, but like I already said, 'Google' did all that for me the moment I logged in on new phone... Is your 2022 Ford Moss one of those new experimental models that run on grass? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

quite a lot of people round my way run on "grass" it stinks on sunday mornings haha

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, JImpster said:

quite a lot of people round my way run on "grass" it stinks on sunday mornings haha

Yes, but the emissions are harmless, apart from causing a bit of hay-fever 🤣 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2022 at 4:24 PM, Bessie Moss said:

You can use the Es file explorer app at https://techtodown.com/ to move apps between your Android devices.

Thank you for sharing this site. What 2022 Ford Moss models have been tested on the field?

• Confused 1

• 2 months later...

Thank goodness for that! I've been waiting 5 months now wondering how to use my new phone 🤣

• 11 months later...
1 minute ago, Jalena Adani said:

Certainly! You can employ the ES File Explorer app from apkrelax to shift apps between your Android devices. This app acts like a mover, helping you pick up apps from one device and place them on another. It's a bit like moving toys between rooms. Just visit the website, get the app, install it, and enjoy moving your apps easily.

It surprises me how newbies discover really old threads to jump on board with LOL 🤣 Still, your hearts in the right place. I hope you have a long & illustrious career here with us all at the FOC...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well now I might be misjudging Jalena (is that her in the photo?) but I suspect a bit of advertising going on 🤔

Fancy she joined FOC just so she could help out with an 11 month old post, just shows how much she cares and felt the need to come to your aid @StephenFord 🤣

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, unofix said:

Well now I might be misjudging Jalena (is that her in the photo?) but I suspect a bit of advertising going on ...

Oh no, you mean she is just a bit of AI bot wizardry? LOL She'll be telling me she just lost her phone, and can I send her some money next 😂

• Haha 2

Advertising ?

45 minutes ago, unofix said:

but I suspect a bit of advertising going on

More likely malware !

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jalena Adani said:

Certainly! You can employ the ES File Explorer app from apkrelax to shift apps between your Android devices. This app acts like a mover, helping you pick up apps from one device and place them on another. It's a bit like moving toys between rooms. Just visit the website, get the app, install it, and enjoy moving your apps easily.

How many people reckon that if I click that link, my bank account will be drained within 30 seconds

3 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

How many people reckon that if I click that link, my bank account will be drained within 30 seconds

It's actually a pretty innocuous link just taking you to an APK resource site, but I'm not a fan of APK, if it's a decent app in the first place, I'll get it on GooglePlay 😀

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club