Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus mk3 1.6 problem HELP!! :(

Bozzer89

Hi new here, 

Just wondering if anyone could give some insight/knowledge…… so I have a focus mk3 61 plate. I was getting an error which was coming back as injector #1 fault. So I swapped the dodgy one out for a new one which tbf was easier than I thought, but I’m now having problems straight away

• on start it sometimes cuts out or maybe a few times 
• sluggish and engine rattled cars all over shop on idle
• finally WHITE smoke! A lot 

It does this when it’s cold and once warmed up a little it stops. It then idles perfect no stutters no nothing and drives nice 

There is no faults or anything on forscan etc I re-codes to the new injector in forscan but it made it worse so switched it back to the old injector code for #1

I’m absolutely stumped does anyone know what I should be looking at?? 

I think there was a lot of discussion on the Forscan forum about the cylinder numbers on some engines being different to others. Its possible you've coded the wrong injector. There was also some discussion about a procedure for injector learning, but I cant remember if it was something that can be monitored within Forscan. 

45 minutes ago, Nathan Buffery said:

I think there was a lot of discussion on the Forscan forum about the cylinder numbers on some engines being different to others. Its possible you've coded the wrong injector. There was also some discussion about a procedure for injector learning, but I cant remember if it was something that can be monitored within Forscan. 

Hi thanks for the reply but I replaced the 6 numbers of the injector I took out with the new ones so I can’t see that being wrong ? 

in regards to this procedure for injector learning what do you mean 

again thanks for the reply

23 minutes ago, Bozzer89 said:

I replaced the 6 numbers of the injector I took out with the new ones

I'm not sure what you mean, but I was referring to the firing order of the pistons. 

I believe (only by what I've read on the Forscan forum) that there is a procedure to go through, after fitting a new injector, for the ecu/pcm to learn the correct setting for that injector. If I remember rightly, there was someone who was allowed to witness the process with a Ford technician and was asking if Forcan had a similar function to be able to see the progress of the learning. Think the car has to be driven at certain revs for a certain amount of time. 

• Like 1

Was it actually a new injector?  Or was it used?  Or a refurb?

Few years ago I bought a set of low mileage used injectors that were wrecked by the time I received them due to incorrect storage.  Had to put the originals back that were in better condition, having covered 273k miles...

Ok, so I've had a look on the Forscan forum this morning and I may of got my wires crossed. It seems that some people with the mk3 Focus were using a 'reset all adaption' function within a version of Forscan. I think this was causing the car to reset all injector learning. 

However, you might glean some useful info from this https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=468&hilit=Injector+learning&start=10

The above link will take you to page 2 of the thread where the guy talks about sitting in with the Ford technician. 

Also, if you read this thread and have a look at the picture, it shows the cylinder numbers reversed within Forscan (number 1 starts at the gearbox end). This is why I was suggesting that you may have coded the wrong injector. 

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19396&p=70106&hilit=Cylinder+numbers#p70106

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Was it actually a new injector?  Or was it used?  Or a refurb?

Few years ago I bought a set of low mileage used injectors that were wrecked by the time I received them due to incorrect storage.  Had to put the originals back that were in better condition, having covered 273k miles...

Yes it was new mate bought from euro car parts. See the thing is I had the fault injector #1 with with lights on dash etc. all that has gone now! But now I have the ***** start and white smoke it’s baffling me haha

5 hours ago, Nathan Buffery said:

Also, if you read this thread and have a look at the picture, it shows the cylinder numbers reversed within Forscan (number 1 starts at the gearbox end). This is why I was suggesting that you may have coded the wrong injector. 

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19396&p=70106&hilit=Cylinder+numbers#p70106

Will take a look now thankyou

• 4 months later...

Any updates on this? I changed two injectors around (1 & 3)to see if the fault followed the injector or remained on cylinder 1. i changed the 2 injector codes around in forscan and didnt realise it would also force a pilot reset of all injectors, so now im stuck with a clattery engine that is unable to learn due to the duff injector anyway. Have bit the bullet and ordered a 2nd hand working injector. Any updates or advice? I have read that 10 page thread on forscan forum also.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club