Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.6Tdci 2006 Dpf Problems

sid777

Hi there, i have had a focus 1.6tdci 2006 for about 6 months, its got 110000 on the clock and its not had a dpf replacement since manufactured, i know this as i have done a trace on the service history and have been told by dealers who carried out the services.

ok now this dpf has been causing me some problems the car keeps going in to limp mode a red rigid edge circuller warning light with a "exclamation mark in it" appears on the dash when ever its in limp mode,

so for some time now i have been using a OBD2 resetting meter to reset the car from being in limp mode, i could be driving down and suddenly its in limp mode i then stick this obd2 machine to the obd2 plug and reset, but a couple of days ago the engine has been in limp mode and i have been trying to take it out of limp mode and for some reason its not resetting, it gives me a fault code of p242f, i take it this is a dpf fail fault code, ford dealers are asking £800 to replace the dpf, this is robbery.

Its a con the government trying to cut down on emissions, these cars with DPF'S you have to drive on high revs for some time for the dpf to clear which results in you using more fuel making more tax revenue for the government and using more fossil fuels (killing the plannet).

Does some body know how to get hold of them DPF DELETE KITS or is there some one out there who can delete it, i am willing to pay half the price for the cost of a replacement dpf to have it permanantley deleted.

Any information to sort this problem out would be much appreciated.

cheers

Hi there, i have had a focus 1.6tdci 2006 for about 6 months, its got 110000 on the clock and its not had a dpf replacement since manufactured, i know this as i have done a trace on the service history and have been told by dealers who carried out the services.

ok now this dpf has been causing me some problems the car keeps going in to limp mode a red rigid edge circuller warning light with a "exclamation mark in it" appears on the dash when ever its in limp mode,

so for some time now i have been using a OBD2 resetting meter to reset the car from being in limp mode, i could be driving down and suddenly its in limp mode i then stick this obd2 machine to the obd2 plug and reset, but a couple of days ago the engine has been in limp mode and i have been trying to take it out of limp mode and for some reason its not resetting, it gives me a fault code of p242f, i take it this is a dpf fail fault code, ford dealers are asking £800 to replace the dpf, this is robbery.

Its a con the government trying to cut down on emissions, these cars with DPF'S you have to drive on high revs for some time for the dpf to clear which results in you using more fuel making more tax revenue for the government and using more fossil fuels (killing the plannet).

Does some body know how to get hold of them DPF DELETE KITS or is there some one out there who can delete it, i am willing to pay half the price for the cost of a replacement dpf to have it permanantley deleted.

sadly these are the reasons i would not buy a modern diesel you cannot delete the dpf it will throw up a fault code and youll also fail the mot when it puffs out black soot everywhere dpfs can be cleaned at the 70k interval which obviously didnt happen it didnt have to be replaced just cleaned unfortunately theres not much option now ford state 72k new elyos fluid and new dpf some independant garages will do it for around 300 quid if you can find one that can reset it on diagnostics most advice is to get rid of it before this replacement is due even on motorway munchers it still needs replaced around 100k sorry to say but you have to get it done it cant be deleted ands if you do it will fail an mot so ide look for an independant that will do it cheaper usually 300-400 quid.

this engine is a pugeot engine and they are just the same its common on modern diesels to have a dpf and to be honest people need to do there homework before buying cars the myth that diesels are cheaper is that a myth they arent that much cheaper in reality although they take the miles better than petrols sorry to say but there isbnt really any con its just poor information on the manufacturers part and poor homework on the buyers part i read through pages of stuff before going back to petrol and picking the focus i wouldnt touch the diesekl and after seeing the amount of diesels brought to my mates garage im glad i didnt not just ford diesels either and its all the same dpfs and dual mass flywheels on the clutch big expense either way dont give up yet try places like arnold clarke and independant garages for a better price.

to confirm my mates an mot tester and hes ahd a few in with deleted dpfs and as he said you can tell a mile away that its been done even if you somehow delete the warning light the thick black soot that comes out is proof enough and that can cause the fail

Any information to sort this problem out would be much appreciated.

cheers

Its an unwritten fact that the DPF's give up at 100k, its a joke of course but with the engine managment relying so much on the way the exhaust system is set up theirs unlikely going to be any sort of blanking kit.

As a last resort have you tried just hammering it when not in limp mode? really give it some for a couple of hundred miles may do some good atleast.

hi there, thanks for the responses guys, what i mean by the dpf delete kits is to make the ecu stop monitoring the dpf and trying to regenerate, thats where the problem is when it tries to regenerate and it fails to do that, this is when it goes in to limp mode.

what i need is a simulator of some sort to unplug the sensor from the dpf and plug it in to this dpf simulator, which then makes the ecu think the dpf is regenerating successfully.

this process does not require the dpf to phsicly be removed, removing the dpf will result in the car throwing black soot out, you got to remember the dpf and cat is all one unit.

this process is available in usa.

i am sure theres got to be some one out there who can delete the dpf from the ecu.

cheers

hi there, thanks for the responses guys, what i mean by the dpf delete kits is to make the ecu stop monitoring the dpf and trying to regenerate, thats where the problem is when it tries to regenerate and it fails to do that, this is when it goes in to limp mode.

what i need is a simulator of some sort to unplug the sensor from the dpf and plug it in to this dpf simulator, which then makes the ecu think the dpf is regenerating successfully.

this process does not require the dpf to phsicly be removed, removing the dpf will result in the car throwing black soot out, you got to remember the dpf and cat is all one unit.

this process is available in usa.

i am sure theres got to be some one out there who can delete the dpf from the ecu.

cheers

its available in the usa because the laws there are different from our laws and in the us its not road legal either but they run 6.4 litre dodges and f150s i understand what youre looking for but the fact is no one will touch it for various reasons 1 being its illegal and a garage with the equipment would be heavily fined if you were caught even without the dpf removed the soot will still be obvious as its not regenerating and creating enough heat to burn it off and in the us the delete kits are for huge diesel engines that only give around 20mpg.

ive done some asking my mates working at a diesel shop up the road and they have stated no one will delete it for you and you wont find a kit for the focus they are all for f150s 6.5 litre engines etc not a little foci engine sadly as said you need to find a garage who will replace it cheaper than the dealers or get the dealer to do it theres no other method available.

even if you somehow tricked it into thinking its regenerating the fact is its not the dpf removes between 85%/100% of the soot and toxins without it actually regenerating and working any mot station will simply put the foot on the throttle and youll get plumes of soot from the exhaust which is an immediate fail.

hi there, from my understanding im under the impression that if i could get it out of limp mode and get some resistors for the gas pressure sensor & the gas temp sensor which sits in the dpf to make it beleive its regenerating successfully then i wont need to worry about regen anymore.

what i need is the suitable OHMS value for the resistors to be fitted at ends of each sensor.

as for the smoke, the dpf and cat is all one unit so i would say that certain percentage of soot would get burnt up in the cat as the cat does not need regeneration, the car has been in limp mode for three weeks, when revd up it will go to about 3500rpm and theres no smoke, the longer you keep it revd up the higher the tempreture of the cat which burns up most of the toxins, the particle filter(which is the added filter to the cat) at regeneration stage gathers the soot remaining and forces it through the filter with high levels of fuel and NO2(nitroge oxide) burning at high temperatures, dropping the levels of co2 even further, the regeneration process is only for the particle filter to burn the excess soot to be cleaned not for the cat.

if some one knows the process involved, i am willing to try it or pay to have it done, even if i have to fit a normal catolyc converter and take this dpf/cat off my car.

the benefit of having a dpf is cheaper road tax for ourselves and creating more revenue for the government as you have to replace the dpf at some stage throught the life of your vehicle at 75k , but the charges on higher fuel bills and dpf replacement through out the life of your vehicle outweigh the benefits on road tax.

i understand if it doesnt meet the certain levels of co2 at mot stage, it will change the banding for cheap road tax, which does not make much difference anyway.

also if someone knows where i can get the regeneration software from it would be helpfull

cheers

hi there, from my understanding im under the impression that if i could get it out of limp mode and get some resistors for the gas pressure sensor & the gas temp sensor which sits in the dpf to make it beleive its regenerating successfully then i wont need to worry about regen anymore.

what i need is the suitable OHMS value for the resistors to be fitted at ends of each sensor.

as for the smoke, the dpf and cat is all one unit so i would say that certain percentage of soot would get burnt up in the cat as the cat does not need regeneration, the car has been in limp mode for three weeks, when revd up it will go to about 3500rpm and theres no smoke, the longer you keep it revd up the higher the tempreture of the cat which burns up most of the toxins, the particle filter(which is the added filter to the cat) at regeneration stage gathers the soot remaining and forces it through the filter with high levels of fuel and NO2(nitroge oxide) burning at high temperatures, dropping the levels of co2 even further, the regeneration process is only for the particle filter to burn the excess soot to be cleaned not for the cat.

if some one knows the process involved, i am willing to try it or pay to have it done, even if i have to fit a normal catolyc converter and take this dpf/cat off my car.

the benefit of having a dpf is cheaper road tax for ourselves and creating more revenue for the government as you have to replace the dpf at some stage throught the life of your vehicle at 75k , but the charges on higher fuel bills and dpf replacement through out the life of your vehicle outweigh the benefits on road tax.

i understand if it doesnt meet the certain levels of co2 at mot stage, it will change the banding for cheap road tax, which does not make much difference anyway.

also if someone knows where i can get the regeneration software from it would be helpfull

cheers

i am trying to explain it to you the software is not available to get that done you will need to go to a diesel remapping place and they can remap it for you blanking out the dpf cost £485 quid its not available to you or me via anywhere only the pros have it try calling some diesel tuners to see if they will remap it for you some will some wont after asking you cannot fit a normal cat to the car dont understand fully why not but apparently doesnt work that way best option ive found is the diesel remap which considering the cost isnt much diofferent from an independant fitting a new dpf.

many pages of pugeot owners asking the same questions as youreself and all are getting the same answers on the different forums including the vw forum and the mazda forum the choiice is remap or new dpf

Bite the bullet and get the DPF replaced at an independent garage and have the fluid and reset done at your Ford dealers.

Afterwards sell the car and get a petrol.

I had a Eolys fluid top up and computer reset done at my local Ford dealership for £100.

A local independent can supply and fit a new DPF for around £350. Fords wanted £1500 for this! :huh:

I've only had my 1.6TDCi for 7 months and I am now considering getting rid due to the endless amount of problems I've had. I'm considering a Mazda3 2.0 Sport....Petrol!!! I will never buy another DPF Diesel car again.

ive been reading similar things from mazda and volvo drivers as well as pugeot basically the advice is get rid of it as soon as iot needs it so anyopne looking at buying a second hand diesel shoukld keep 500 aside to have it done ive never been a fan of diesels even after having one to be honest no matyter how refined they still sound like a bag of nails when idling and those that dont have about 10 inches of soundproofing on them lol each to there own its just another way of manufacturers making cash we all know they have to do it somehow

Totally agree with artscot79 about this. With all the goings on in a diesel and the many complexities that come with one i will consider my future purchase of car very carefully. The DPF is a nonsensical idea thought up by someone who believes the world is going to end with all these pollutants HA HA HA HA. Stick to your plain old petrol gussling petrol engine folks and enjoy the ride.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

My first post and not a native, so sorry for my bad english.

The "sell" is that DPFs, reduce up to 99% of the soot, that comes out. This is true, but also A LOT of BS. why ? because DPFs only stop particles bigger then 1000 u Microns, that make up about 3% from total exhaust gases. So in reality, they actually stop 99% of 3%.

Now, there are emulators and if you look closely, you will find these on Peugeot, Citroen, forums (the 1.6 and 2.0 tdci found on ford cars is used by Citroen, Peugeot, Volvo, Mazda and minicoopers diesel). I have this on my car and i've passed MOT in my country. My car has the DPF removed like this :

- the DPF is taken out of the car, cut down, the ceramic from the filter is taken out, only the catalyzer remains. The they weld it back, put it on the car.

- after the physical part is done, they would mount an emulator that tells the sensors that the DPF is still present and in perfect condition. Job done.

The advantage of this is that if you ever want to buy and fit a new DPF, you just simply take the emulator off (it's just a plug), and go and fit you new DPF.

If you change your ECU with EcuSafe or something similar, it is possible that you will get other errors, and you may have problems with turbo, or other components.

So, as long as you have a good mechanic, and you don't damage the "cat", you will be fine. And i get no smoke whatsoever, so ... your choice.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club