Do Not Sell My Personal Information

After some advice

GSS123

Hi all, 

I'm new here, we're looking at a new car for my dad (age 60+) and are considering a B Max, 1.6 Petrol, around 16/17-reg. He wants something practical and easier to get in and out of than his Merc C Class. 

I know nothing of these, I'm a lifelong Vauxhall driver so after some fresh advice. 

The one we've looked at has low miles, 22'ish k, with FSH. It's a Zetec Power shift Auto. 

I'd like to know what this car is like to drive? 

Does it have a Cambelt or Chain? 

Anything specific I should look out for?

Any common problems that should be already attended to? 

What should I avoid? 

Much thanks in advance, really appreciate it. 

G. 

Hello and welcome to the forum.

The 1.6 petrol is a very straight forward engine, many will say it's not fantastic on fuel but a lot depends on how it is driven. From memory I think the cambelt is due change at 8 years or 100,000 miles and should cost about £350ish @TomsFocus knows more about these engines, I'm sure he will be along to advise you soon.

Just be aware the Zetec spec can be a little basic, so make sure it has all the toys that you might be wanting, personally I wouldn't take anything less than a Titanium spec, but that's just me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GSS123 said:

He wants something practical and easier to get in and out of than his Merc C Class.

I owned a Merc C class, and now a Mk2 Focus. I must admit that ease of getting in/out was pretty much the same for both. Though obviously a newer Max may be even better. I would definitely get your dad to trial how easy he finds it before shelling out cash...

• Like 1

Unofix has covered it pretty well!

The only auto option in the BMax is the 105ps 1.6 petrol.  Not particularly nippy in a fairly heavy car, and realistically around 40mpg mixed.

The tax is slightly cheaper from April 2017 onwards, but only £15 difference so not a deal breaker.

The Zetec does get the heated windscreen, 4 electric windows and a basic radio.  If he needs cruise control or climate control then the Titanium is the one to go for.  Also comes with the better Sony audio unit and nicer seat cloth.  Nav was an optional extra so if that's a necessity then double check before buying.

The main problem is the Powershift gearbox on this era of Ford's.  A quick Google search of Powershift problems should bring up plenty of results!

Haven't driven one so can't comment on that...but as it's a high riding MPV, expect a bit of body roll.  

If there's anything else specific you'd like to ask, please do!

• Like 1

OK, thank you so much, the specs I need to look into. I assumed that at least cruise control and DAB cam pretty much standard on all cars from around 2010 onwards. Had a few Corsas as courtesy cars and even the base models on them had it. 

Is this not the case? 

Power wise, not too fused as it will mainly be a city car, economy and running costs are important. The Merc, even though Diesel, isn't particularly economical, at all. 

Just now, GSS123 said:

least cruise control and DAB cam pretty much standard on all cars from around 2010

🤣🤣🤣🤣 ........ no !!

You need to be looking at Titanium X and even then you possibly won't get a reverse camera

1 hour ago, unofix said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣 ........ no !!

You need to be looking at Titanium X and even then you possibly won't get a reverse camera

Sorry mate, meant to say DAB and Cruise, not camera, not bothered about that at all. 

Parking sensors, DAB, BT, and Cruise Control are the most important. 

12 hours ago, GSS123 said:

Sorry mate, meant to say DAB and Cruise, not camera, not bothered about that at all. 

Parking sensors, DAB, BT, and Cruise Control are the most important. 

Cruise was not standard on the Zetec.  You will need the Titanium for that.

Rear parking sensors (with optical display) were standard on the Zetec, but not front as well.  Fronts were part of an optional pack, even on Titanium.

bluetooth & DAB was standard on the Zetec.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GSS123 said:

... not camera, not bothered about that at all.

Ironically a few years ago I would have said the same, however, after fitting a reverse camera 2 years ago, I doubt now I could reverse with any accuracy whatsoever now without it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club