Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Transmission Malfunction Service Now after a battery change

HPFruity

Hi all, hope you can help?

I have a Focus Mk3 2013 plate 1.6 Automatic.

Today I had to have a new battery and since then I'm getting "Transmission Malfunction service Now".  

It drives, but it doesn't feel right - like it goes from 1st to 2nd OK, possibly 2nd to 3rd but after that it doesn't seem to go to 4th... 

It has only started this straight after the new battery being put it.  Is this something I can clear or reset myself?  Would Forscan help me here?

Any help you can offer would be brilliant, thank you!

I might be able to help and advise on this having only today fixed a "Transmission Malfunction" warning.

The gearbox gear changes are controlled by a 'Transmission Control Module' (TCM) which is located on the end of the gearbox. On some occasions when a battery is replaced or if the battery has gone very flat and the car is jump started, the TCM forgets it's programming and it's adaptive learning is corrupted. The TCM can be re-taught using the software programme FORScan (with extended licence)

You will need a laptop computer, the programme FORScan, and a good quality ELM327 lead.

Download FORScan: https://forscan.org/download.html

Buy ELM327 lead: https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/USB_Modified_with_switch_ELM327/p4541936_17045457.aspx

OR

Buy vLinker FS lead: https://www.bmdiag.co.uk/forscan-diagnostic-cable-for-ford-vgate-vlinker-fs

Then carefully read and follow the instructions of the FORScan forum on how to re-teach the TCM.

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1672

• Like 3

Thanks Unofix.

It's exactly that, the car battery had died when my wife was using it.  She had to get a jump start then headed straight for Halfords for a new battery.

I've found the exact same scenario on the B-Max owners site too so I know it's not just me.  I'd read some articles about FORScan earlier so I think that's the approach I need to take, cheaper than taking it to Ford I reckon - it's not the TCM module being defective, the battery change has certainly caused this.

Ordered some stuff and will get FORScan on the case.

Thanks for confirming :)

• Like 1

Just for a bit of back ground you might want a quick read of my issue with the TCM on an Ecosport.

20 hours ago, unofix said:

It's party time 🎉😀🎉

So the answer is FORScan can reteach the TCM.

Was able to perform:

Transmission Range sensor adaptive learning.

Verify, Transmission Range sensor adaptive learning.

Perform shift drum adaptive learning [ I think this is what fixed it ]

I found a very useful bit of information on the FORScan site that had a step by step guide how to reteach the TCM and test both the gearbox and clutch.

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1672

It made some adjustment to the selector 'B' range and all is now working. All 6 gears and reverse and to be honest I think it feels better driving it now than it was before.

Thank you to all who have offered help and advice.

DSC_0237.JPG

DSC_0239.JPG

• Like 1

Just an update:  I went through the adaptive learning etc and also cleared the code.  It's not complaining now!

Took it for a drive and it's still waiting until quite high RPM before changing up to 4th / 5th.  I'm going to do it again as I'm not sure the car was as warm as should be.

How long does it normally take to complete the learning?  Is it over a number of days / miles?

Think I'll do it again later and just drive slowly!  Thanks for your help though!

• Like 1

The adaptive learning can take over a week to settle down. It takes a lot of things in to account so it will continually adjust for quite some time.

Did you do the full reteach of everything, gears, drum, clutch ?

I did, the full thing mate.

It'll be having a good couple of runs in the next 2 days so see how it goes.

• Like 1

It will take up to 500 miles to start settling down.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 4/20/2022 at 1:28 PM, DaveT70 said:

It will take up to 500 miles to start settling down.

Hi all,

I didn't want to hijack this post, so would appreciate any pointers.  

Could you please check my new post: 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club