Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fusion dies at idle

Fix-Or-Repair-Daily

My Sister-in-law phoned me and said her fusion has broken down, so I've towed it back to her house.

It will start and run as long as you apply some throttle, the moment you let go of the pedal as the revs get down to the idle the engine shudders then dies. 

I don't have a code reader as I'm used to cars that don't have codes! So I've asked my mate if he will let me borrow his tomorrow, I'll see if it has any codes tomorrow but there is an orange light on the dash (just a circular light). 

Has anyone got any ideas or had a similar issue?

The car is a 2008 1.4 16v petrol manual Fusion.

Unless your mate has the real 'Ford' service tool or you use FORScan, don't expect to get any DTC's.

If you use a laptop and the software FORScan then you will probably get some useful codes.

• Like 3

By the way forscan is free for a windows laptop and about 6 quid for Apple/android.  You will need a code reader with bluetooth or WiFi or usb to connect the car to forscan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

go with the USB option, you get a higher baud rate, and no chance of a connection drop mid interrogation and or fix. V-linker or the modified 327 from tunnel-rat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all, my mate brought his code reader over and we plugged it in just on the off chance and it talked to it but said no codes found, it obviously has codes though so I'll have to get the forscan stuff.

Will this be right connector?

https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/USB_Modified_with_switch_ELM327/p4541936_17045457.aspx

Where do you download forscan? I found this website https://forscan.org/download.html but it looks like a website that will give my laptop plenty of viruses!

25 minutes ago, Fix-Or-Repair-Daily said:

Thanks all, my mate brought his code reader over and we plugged it in just on the off chance and it talked to it but said no codes found, it obviously has codes though so I'll have to get the forscan stuff.

Will this be right connector?

https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/USB_Modified_with_switch_ELM327/p4541936_17045457.aspx

Where do you download forscan? I found this website https://forscan.org/download.html but it looks like a website that will give my laptop plenty of viruses!

That Adaptor will work although you will probably get a pop-up to tell you it is not suitable. That may be true if you try to do complex programming but not for diagnostic work.

If you are not comfortable with the download then the paid for phone version is just as good for diagnostic work but you will need a good wireless  adaptor.

The only things that the phone version can't do is Configuration and Programming, Output Control Mode and a very few complex service Procedures.

IOS phones are a lot more fussy about what Adaptors work than Android and I have not tried it but I believe than you can use some Wired Adaptors via an OTG Adaptor if your phone supports it.

You may still get that pop-up with the latest phone version unless you use one of the two recommended adaptors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FORScan download link for Windows: https://forscan.org/download/FORScanSetup2.3.47.release.exe

The TunnelRat Electronics ELM327 lead will work but now gives warnings about communication issues.

The correct lead to use now is the new 'vLinker FS' but it is more expensive.

https://www.bmdiag.co.uk/forscan-diagnostic-cable-for-ford-vgate-vlinker-fs

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My ELM327 had no problems connecting and reading. Once i updated the .ocx files

On the other-hand elmconfig {similar to forscan} is proving a little more challenging series of "can" errors im working through. 

10 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

My ELM327 had no problems connecting and reading. Once i updated the .ocx files

On the other-hand elmconfig {similar to forscan} is proving a little more challenging series of "can" errors im working through. 

If you've got loads of CAN errors, suspect the instrument cluster

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

If you've got loads of CAN errors, suspect the instrument cluster

thats the problem i'm looking to replace the cluster, everything works as it should, but the upper lcd is burnt out. i have the new 2.5 upgrade cluster ready. Its either something i'm doing wrong or the way ive set it up. I need to get the "files off" so i can transfer. the vids ive watched do it via ELM

ELMConfig always was buggy & glitchy.  Not as sleek as Forscan.  Are you trying to run it on Win11 as I doubt it's been upgraded for that?

• Like 1

I was but now downgraded to 10 added the alleged runtime fix, but not connected yet. if there were some clear instructions to do it via Forscan i could follow as that works fine.

will get there wont be beaten lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

downgraded to 10

not quite like a mac 🤣

I would still be using XP if I could !!

As it is I'm using windows 7 with an add-on that makes it more like XP. I might just wait for Windows 13, I feel that might be lucky (or not) 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ive actually got an XP lappy when i go pick it up £20.00 gotta love a bargain

For evreyday usage its fine, but as with all new versions some software can be a bit iffy.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club