Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car broken into

Goldiegee

Hi all, first post here.

A strange thing has just happened and I wonder if anyone has a view as to why and if there is something more sinister afoot?

My wife parked her 2015 Titanium X in a multi storey today. Only for less than an hour.

when we returned the door was unlocked and she thought she had forgotten to lock it, but then noticed half the back seat was down. Further investigation showed the parcel shelf was also gone, which I then found had been left on the floor behind the car. Nothing inside had been taken though. There was not much but an old style Tom Tom an expensive jacket and a set of house key, all left. The coin tray under the wheel was also left open. The door barrel was damaged and the cowl around it came off. I tried the emergency key in the lock and it doesn’t seem to work, so is suspect that is how they got in. It is keyless though so I thought it may have been by a scanner. It must have set the alarm off if they went in the door?

I thought they were looking for coins in the tray but then it occurred to me the OBD port is in there so they may have been after that?

All seems a bit strange. Am I going to find the car gone from the drive tonight as they have done something with the port?

Any advice or thoughts would be most welcome.

TIA

I'd put a steering wheel lock on, chances are if they got to the obd port they were trying to program a new key to the car

• Like 1

They’ve forced the door to unlock the car, if they opened that door the alarm would go off, but it doesn’t if they open the boot, so they climbed in, then tried plugging their device into the OBD so they could start the car.

• Like 2

Thanks, that makes sense. I wonder why they failed? Maybe got disturbed? It was lunchtime in a city centre car park.

Why doesn’t the alarm go off if you open the tailgate? Seems a major vulnerability? Does the ultrasonic not work in that case?

Ultrasonic not fitted as standard to the Titanium X, perimeter only.

Common theme unfortunately as Ford decided to make it easy to program a spare key via the OBD port. I'm sure the later cars with MyKey (2014 onwards for a Fiesta imho) had to have a master key present (original programmed key) in order to program a new spare key and the earlier models didn't, so that may have fouled their plans.

I have a StopLok, very highly rated by the industry and way easier than a DiskLok to fit and remove. It was tested by Autocar using a professional vehicle locksmith dude using tools and he said after 5 full minutes with power tools, he hit the time limit and had to give up. It was rated the same security level as the Disklok but won #1 spot due to being easier to fit and remove.

Halfords own brand ones lasted less than 5 seconds and he didn't even use any tools... there are videos online. Don't get a cheapo one but invest £50-£100 in a good StopLok or a Disklok. The thieves won't even bother trying to break in, and will move onto one that has no steering wheel security lock. It's very visible.

You can relocate or block the OBD port but that can result in broken windows and damaged locks before they realise they can't operate the OBD. A big yellow secure deterrent like StopLok is more likely to be seen and they will walk on to find a car without one.

I NEVER leave my ST parked without it being on. Takes a couple of seconds to fit and remove even while inside the car with the doors closed. (winter etc.) Provided you have the security keys of course! 

3 hours ago, STP975 said:

I have a StopLok, very highly rated by the industry and way easier than a DiskLok to fit and remove.

I've used a DiskLok for over a decade, have never found it difficult to apply or remove?

1701592860_disklokchrome.thumb.jpg.91c57dea24fb18afb4c05801145026fe.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I know what you mean - not saying the disklok is hard to fit but its a big lump, and I can take the stoplok off or put it on while seated in the car and drop it behind the seats with one hand. And it doesn't slither about while driving...so given they both offer the same level of resistance to removal, either is good. 

10 minutes ago, STP975 said:

...not saying the disklok is hard to fit but its a big lump...

You need to eat another Weetabix mate LOL I can remove it, place it on rear passenger floor without issue, and it stays where it's put 🤣 The thing about it being 'a big lump' is of course, it's primary strength.

• Like 1

Haha cheers mate, have to admit I never went for the disklok as I thought it's less faff with the stoplok but each to his own! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

You need to eat another Weetabix mate LOL I can remove it, place it on rear passenger floor without issue, and it stays where it's put 🤣

Which is fine unless you're regularly 4 up...  Had one stuck under my feet for many journeys as a kid. :rolleyes: 

I agree that the Disklok is a pain to deal with.  No way would I be messing around with one (not that I could lift one now lol), would just buy a less stealable car tbh. :laugh: 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Which is fine unless you're regularly 4 up...

That would be best! Having it sat securely on your rear passengers lap 🤣

• Haha 2

Our neighbour has a 14 plate Fiesta ST and he uses the stop lock all the time.

He also has a dashcam fitted.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Wino said:

I have a DAB radio fitted in mine...

27 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I have a DAB radio fitted in mine...

Same here although it's very rare its switched on and not too sure why you seem confused to the earlier post @StephenFord.

1 minute ago, Wino said:

Same here although it's very rare its switched on and not too sure why you seem confused to the earlier post @StephenFord.

Was unclear why a dashcam was significant. I have one too and it's nothing to do with my disklok...and 'park mode' is a massive PIA LOL

798386280_parkmodedashcam.thumb.jpg.4c32871488ab9978640a7d7ea398050a.jpg

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

Was unclear why a dashcam was significant. I have one too and it's nothing to do with my disklok...and 'park mode' is a massive PIA LOL

798386280_parkmodedashcam.thumb.jpg.4c32871488ab9978640a7d7ea398050a.jpg

I thought it was significant to include as it's a security deterrent which is the basis of this topic.

I only noticed it the other day (the Dashcam) as I'd parked the Noddy car nose to tail with his on the road outside as we still can't get two cars back on the driveway due to the damn birds.

Tbh, I'd find using either a pain with the constant on/off everytime you nip out for something, but that's just me.

Just now, Wino said:

Tbh, I'd find using either a pain with the constant on/off everytime you nip out for something, but that's just me.

That's the beauty of normal dashcam operation - it's 100% automatic. When ignition is on, it powers up, when you remove the key, it automatically powers down, you never need to touch it (Unless you need a recording!)

Just came across this thread and all this talk about 'Disclok' and I thought "wot no photo !!" and then I scrolled back up the thread and was greeted by a picture of the legendary Chrome limited edition  disclok and all in the universe was put back in harmony 🤣

Nice one Stephen, you've made me smile 👍

• Haha 4

Can't see a dashcam being a theft deterrent. 

Even if we assume you've knocked the car and set off the parking mode, as well as walked directly in front of it with your face uncovered, it takes just 10 seconds to unplug and rip it off the screen once you've broken in.  And in that scenario, you would have to break in to recover it, even if you were just looking previously.  If anything it seems like it's more of an attraction for a break in than a deterrent for a vehicle theft! :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, unofix said:

...greeted by a picture of the legendary Chrome limited edition  disclok and all in the universe was put back in harmony 🤣

Nice one Stephen, you've made me smile 👍

I must confess, I bought it maybe 15 or 20 years ago. I had a proper job then that allowed me some disposable income, and on going to Halfords, just chose it because I really liked the look - had no idea it was a limited edition 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/11/2022 at 12:35 PM, STP975 said:

Yeah, I know what you mean - not saying the disklok is hard to fit but its a big lump, and I can take the stoplok off or put it on while seated in the car and drop it behind the seats with one hand. And it doesn't slither about while driving...so given they both offer the same level of resistance to removal, either is good. 

I can take mine off in seconds … I put in drivers footwell and away I go 

we had our fiesta stolen , so we now got disklok , OBD moved … additional immobiliser and a tracker … I’ve done all I can so hopefully my car is relatively safe … however if they want it , they will find a way 

we  have had 2 ST stolen in my town in last few days …. I wish I could tell every ST owner to protect their car … car crime is through the roof everywhere at the minute unfortunately 

On 5/11/2022 at 1:10 PM, Wino said:

Our neighbour has a 14 plate Fiesta ST and he uses the stop lock all the time.

We got dash cams , front and back ..but when they stole our car , they ripped Them out ,causing a lot of wiring issues as wipers radio etc wouldn’t work 

disk lok are are superior to stop lock in my opinion… he also needs to protect the OBD …although thieves are cloning keys so a tracker is probably the best bet 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jo100001 said:

disk lok are are superior to stop lock in my opinion…

There's a fundamental difference, most car owners think of theft devices in terms of them owing the car and invested in it. Car theives have no such investment, and have no issue at destruction. The DiskLok covers the whole steering wheel making it an extreme challenge to remove. 

The StopLok is a relatively slim piece of metal which normal owners would automatically think is great, but all a thief has to do is take a hacksaw to your steering wheel, cut out a slot, and remove the device still locked! You gotta think like a scumbag, not a car owner who treasures your car and wouldn't dream of using force on it!

1854616817_stoplokcutwheel.thumb.jpg.ae33856a7c8bf9216db2894210b29617.jpg

• Like 1