Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car broken into

Goldiegee

9 hours ago, StephenFord said:

There's a fundamental difference, most car owners think of theft devices in terms of them owing the car and invested in it. Car theives have no such investment, and have no issue at destruction. The DiskLok covers the whole steering wheel making it an extreme challenge to remove. 

The StopLok is a relatively slim piece of metal which normal owners would automatically think is great, but all a thief has to do is take a hacksaw to your steering wheel, cut out a slot, and remove the device still locked! You gotta think like a scumbag, not a car owner who treasures your car and wouldn't dream of using force on it!

1854616817_stoplokcutwheel.thumb.jpg.ae33856a7c8bf9216db2894210b29617.jpg

They can Also use the stop lock as leverage to break the steering wheel lock as it gives them a good grip   

my disc lok spins on the wheel when tampered with … far better product 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, StephenFord said:

all a thief has to do is take a hacksaw to your steering wheel,

they don't even have to to that. I follow an interesting little programme of a professional lock smith and with very little knowledge and a simple tool for less than £20 even an armature can open the locks found on most of these security devices in less than 2 minutes

You can only do so much to protect your car, but if they really want it, they will find a way 😧 

• Like 1

For me a disklock make keyless start pointless. If you have a mk8 the security has been bumped up by ford anyway so new key cannot be programmed without original key and the key themselves go to sleep after 40 seconds of no movement so signal cannot be picked up by scanners. Ok not perfect but more difficult for the crims. And if they do succeed you have insurance.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cjay1 said:

For me a disklock make keyless start pointless...

Care to clarify, I genuinely do not understand your point...

Jump in push the button then pull the keys  out your pocket to unlock the disklock. If keyless security is that much of a concern just get a key start fiesta. Key start is a no cost option on all fiesta models

I think I'm getting there LOL Are you advocating that having to use a key to unlock the DiskLok, negates the convenience of having 'keyless starting'?

2 minutes ago, cjay1 said:

Yes.

In my defense, I'm an old man, and sometimes quite slow these days... 🤣 Got there in the end though!

• Haha 1

I lock the stoplok properly onto the spoke of the steering wheel, so they would need to make a minimum of 4 cuts through the wheel to get it off, and I have the PATS software that requires an original key to be present for a new one to be programmed (already tested that with Forscan) so if they are so determined that they would take the chance the OBD is not blocked or relocated (mine is) and then break in and spend a while making 4 cuts through the wheel, while the alarm is screaming, only to find they can't program a key, then they are welcome to try, that's what insurance is for.

My thinking is they would see the stoplok (or disklok of course which I agree is superior on a couple of points) and move on to find an ST with no extra protection. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, STP975 said:

I lock the stoplok properly onto the spoke of the steering wheel, so they would need to make a minimum of 4 cuts through the wheel to get it off, and I have the PATS software that requires an original key to be present for a new one to be programmed (already tested that with Forscan) so if they are so determined that they would take the chance the OBD is not blocked or relocated (mine is) and then break in and spend a while making 4 cuts through the wheel, while the alarm is screaming, only to find they can't program a key, then they are welcome to try, that's what insurance is for.

My thinking is they would see the stoplok (or disklok of course which I agree is superior on a couple of points) and move on to find an ST with no extra protection. 

You could also remove all the wheels and put it on some bricks, that'll stop them 🤣

Just now, StephenFord said:

You could also remove all the wheels and put it on some bricks, that'll stop them 🤣

Absolutely!

Joking aside, you can do what is reasonable and if they are determined enough, they will have a go. The trick is to make it obviously harder for the opportunist to quickly & easily nip off with it and that's about it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, STP975 said:

you can do what is reasonable ...

and remember not to tell everyone what specific measures you have taken LOL

• Like 1

You need to make it harder to steal than the next car in the row. As an American said to me, you don’t need to run faster than the bear, you just need to run faster than the bloke next to you. I like that saying

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 5:59 PM, isetta said:

You need to make it harder to steal than the next car in the row. As an American said to me, you don’t need to run faster than the bear, you just need to run faster than the bloke next to you. I like that saying

Trust Americans to get it wrong LOL 🤣

The joke about the tiger

Two men are walking through a forest.  Suddenly, they see a tiger in the distance, running towards them.  They turn and start running away.  But then one of them stops, takes some running shoes from his bag, and starts putting them on.

“What are you doing?” says the other man.  “Do you think you will run faster than the tiger with those?”

“I don’t have to run faster than the tiger,” he says.  “I just have to run faster than you.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, StephenFord said:

and remember not to tell every0one what specific measures you have taken LOL

won't most people notice.....

6 hours ago, StephenFord said:

🤣

Sorry … I would rather take the 15 seconds it takes to put my disk lok on and off and have my car safe then be bothered I can’t just jump In and go 

we had our car stolen … it was the worst thing ever ..and as for insurance..yes it helps .. But you will lose money even on pay out … they don’t give what you paid for it …and you won’t get the same car for what they give you …

protect you car with any means you can …a  tracker is a good option as well … 

our car car isn’t kelyless , but they still got it …

I have several measures in place like you, but I use the Stoplok Pro instead of the Disklok, that's the only difference. My point was the Stoplok Pro is in my view, easier to put on and still gives a good level of security, after reading many industry reviews before buying anything. I don't want my car stolen either, I said if all those measures don't deter a thief then insurance is my last protection.

Most people don't fit the Stoplok correctly, just putting it on the rim somewhere, they even tell you in the manual to lock it straddling one of the wheel spokes on the wheel which makes it much harder to remove even by cutting the wheel with a hacksaw. It also does not allow them to break the steering lock as the bar is so long, it can't be swung anywhere, it jams either under the dash or at the windscreen depending on what angle the wheel is at. I choose to trap it below the dash so it can only be moved a few inches at best, before hitting the gear surround which would achieve nothing. 

Now I know just like Oasis & Blur, The Beatles & The Stones & The Who, people will be polarised on which one of these locks is their favourite, and that's fine - but a good lock is way better than no lock and better than a cheap crappy lock. I'm on the same page. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, STP975 said:

I have several measures in place like you, but I use the Stoplok Pro instead of the Disklok, that's the only difference. My point was the Stoplok Pro is in my view, easier to put on and still gives a good level of security, after reading many industry reviews before buying anything. I don't want my car stolen either, I said if all those measures don't deter a thief then insurance is my last protection.

Most people don't fit the Stoplok correctly, just putting it on the rim somewhere, they even tell you in the manual to lock it straddling one of the wheel spokes on the wheel which makes it much harder to remove even by cutting the wheel with a hacksaw. It also does not allow them to break the steering lock as the bar is so long, it can't be swung anywhere, it jams either under the dash or at the windscreen depending on what angle the wheel is at. I choose to trap it below the dash so it can only be moved a few inches at best, before hitting the gear surround which would achieve nothing. 

Now I know just like Oasis & Blur, The Beatles & The Stones & The Who, people will be polarised on which one of these locks is their favourite, and that's fine - but a good lock is way better than no lock and better than a cheap crappy lock. I'm on the same page. 

My comment was meant for cjay

On 5/15/2022 at 10:56 AM, cjay1 said:

For me a disklock make keyless start pointless. If you have a mk8 the security has been bumped up by ford anyway so new key cannot be programmed without original key and the key themselves go to sleep after 40 seconds of no movement so signal cannot be picked up by scanners. Ok not perfect but more difficult for the crims. And if they do succeed you have insurance.

Ah...ok!

Got to agree, disklocks etc are a faff for us. I agree with the idea keyless entry is walk up, open door, belt on, start, go.... convenient and no faffing. No getting keys out, no emptying handbags or backpacks...

As someone said, the newer models have key deactivation after a few seconds so the keys don't transmit until moved again and the option of cloning keys without the master has been removed making it difficult to get in and drive away messing with OBD ports and keys.

Also the Ford app has a security feature that alerts you when any doors, boot or alarm have been activated or opened, along with a GPS tracker that shows where the car is and the journeys it has made. 

Again, with brand new cars, GAP insurance may be a good idea for the length of the Personal Contract duration.This covers total loss of the vehicle in the fact the gap insurance pays the difference (gap between your own insurer valuation) to get you a brand new like for like car and usually a courtesy car until it arrives. I also believe GAP is available on used cars but am led to believe it is quite expensive??

What I say is for newer cars with the latest technology and I appreciate not all drivers have this tech and feel the need to be more security conscious ,so this is just my personal opinion on disklocks etc and why they aren't worth it for me.

A marmite situation.

2 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

A marmite situation.

Yes that would do it. Cover the steering wheel with Marmite and no one would take it 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Car thieves are way ahead of manufacturer security system ..what ever is on the car ..they can beat it 

our car wasn’t keyless .. but they got it anyway ..they got in using the wing mirror wiring to get into the door module and it was open ! 

on tik tok they even show you how it’s done … the have a device the inserts into the ignition and it makes a “key “ … and they can get the car in 30 seconds 

Ford immobiliser is useless ..we have added a additional one which using its own wiring … they would have to got thru all the electrics to disable it 

if you don’t believe me …go on tik tok and look at hull dingers ..or Sunderland dingers …hundreds of videos off therm getting range rovers , Ford …Audi etc …takes them minutes 

Having had our car stolen …we have done all we can to protect it … you should do the same ! 

2 hours ago, Jo100001 said:

Car thieves are way ahead of manufacturer security system ..what ever is on the car ..they can beat it 

There was a premium car brand in the 80s that had a wonderful pro theft device. As a 'safety' device, if the rear bumper was nudged, it activated the central locking - that design feature didn't last long LOL

40 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

There was a premium car brand in the 80s that had a wonderful pro theft device. As a 'safety' device, if the rear bumper was nudged, it activated the central locking - that design feature didn't last long LOL

Yes, I remember that. One of the news/current affairs programmes even showed it being done on the Television.

• Like 1

A further thought on the above. Maybe that is one of the reasons that Ford don't allow automatic door locking when you are in the car because to a certain extent the doors will automatically unlock if there is a crash event although the one from 30 years ago unlocked with just a small bang from just your foot or hand, not a full crash.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club