Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brakes

Keith13661

2019 Ford Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost Active 18000 miles

I have been driving for around 40 years, all different types of vehicles and far to many cars to thnk about, had all sorts of issues but just adapted to them. Normally takes me about half an hour to fully get the hang of the clutch bite, brake pedal steering quirks etc....   However I bought this Fiesta about three weeks ago and I am struggling to get to grips with this brake pedal. As much as i apply the brakes in a relatively gently manner I feel like it is far to aggressive, so much so its starting to annoy me..... It feels as if the actual pressure I apply is doubled instantly, so muchso even my wife has picked up on this, she has stated it is unusual as my braking is always a pre planned smooth operation, unless in the event of an emergency brake there is no noticebal passenger movement, alas at the moment it feels like sudden jolting, I would like to know..... has anyone else any issues with the 'sharpness when applying the brakes' ?

Tends to be a characteristic of modern cars unfortunately, but yes, I have found this even more "grabby" than other recent cars, making smooth, progressive braking difficult. I have got more used to it over time, but even after 4 years still get caught out occasionally, especially after driving my wife's car for a while!

• Like 1

Gawd! And I thought it was just the missus jabbing the brake pedal too hard. 🚗😁

I better stop nagging her to take me to hospital with whiplash🚘

I've got used to it now after 3 years and usually manage a soft braking to a stop, BUT it still catches me out now & again. 

• Haha 2

Same problem on the Mk4 Focus.  I was blaming the electric brake servo but as not all models are fitted with that, it seems modern Ford brakes are just snatchy & unpredictable! :unsure: 

• Like 1

My brakes tend to 'grab' a bit but only when the car is cold.

Can't say I've noticed any problems with my 2019 ST-Line 140.

I'm very light on the brakes usually anyway (i've never worn out a set of brake pads yet) at 40,000 miles at my last service the mechanic did ask me if I ever used the brakes as they were only about 10% worn.

But on the odd occasions I've had to brake fairly hard I can't say I've had any problems braking smoothly.

Yes I have noticed that too on my new car, brakes a bit sharp. 

also noticed it slows down quicker, don’t know of that the battery!?!?

I've noticed this on mine, I normally drive the work vans which are so different to my car, so when I'm in my fiesta driving to & from work in my work boots, it's even more exaggerated as I can't feel the brake peddle lol, so I need to be even extra careful, I thought that it was just me, but after reading this I'm not so sure now. Just accepted it & trying to get used to it now. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Simon90 said:

also noticed it slows down quicker, don’t know of that the battery!?!?

If you've got an MHEV, the battery regeneration does feel like it's applied the brakes when you lift off the throttle, or increased brake force when you've only lightly pressed the brake pedal.  If you've got the option of a hybrid meter on your dashboard, that'll show when the battery regen is occurring.  (I don't take responsibility for any RTC caused while watching it! :laugh: )

Yes, the Mhev regen braking on the Fiesta is very harsh and seemingly drastic, especially in Sport mode.

Does anyone know if the brake lights illuminate with the regen braking?

My gut feeling is that “normal” deceleration regenerative braking does not trigger a brake light, but the harsher regenerative braking that you get after you press the brake pedal gently and release does. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club