Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing alloy wheels

Saras focus

Hi,  is it necessary to inform your insurance company if your changing your alloy wheels  they're not a different size I want  to change standard ST wheels for a new type and have my decent tyres swapped over, I'm getting conflicting advice, thanks 

If they're a different design then yes.

If they're identical new replacements then no.

The insurance ethos of informing 'change' is cost of replacement. If you replace like for like as suggested by Tom, there will be no price consequence of replacement. However, if you go for a much more expensive aftermarket type, that's when they'll need to know it'll cost more to replace. Sadly, if you go for cheaper than original, you won't get a premium reduction. Kinda like when the price of oil drops, the petrol price stays the same (or even goes up LOL)

When I was first driving in 1982 generally insurance companies asked about modifications that increased performance, but they then started asking about everything you might have altered or added. I think some insurance companies take the view that if you are the type of person to alter things then you are an undesirable boy racer.  And then because insurers sometimes react unreasonably to declarations of modifications it encourages people to not come clean about their car. If you declare stuff you might find ‘computer says no’ type of mentality.  I am not encouraging people to withhold truthful answers to the questions insurers ask. 

I would tell them. I'm sure that most Insurance companies allow you up to two changes to a standard car as long as it does not increase the performance or cost significantly, and some don't have a limit on the number of changes if there are no performance or cost implications. You could ask them beforehand if you are worried.

Some may have a charge for changes mid policy though.

Hi.

If you have any issues with insurance at all for a change of wheels then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

6 hours ago, Saras focus said:

Hi,  is it necessary to inform your insurance company if your changing your alloy wheels  they're not a different size I want  to change standard ST wheels for a new type and have my decent tyres swapped over, I'm getting conflicting advice, thanks 

Yes, just in case they consider it a modification especially if the new wheels are more expensive to replace than the originals. Your insurers may provide you with a list of changes they may want you to tell them about, but with a rider that the list is examples only but not exhaustive!

Some companies even want to know about towbars (Mine did 5 or 6 years ago, this time I informed them as a matter of courtesy) - it now appears as a modification on my documents. No extra charge on this one, even though if the setup gets damaged it could cost quite a few pennies to fix!

Alloy wheels, body kits etc. are commonly on theier lists of mods.

About the only thing you don't have to tell them about is if you fit Winter tyres, as long as they are the size/speed rating shown in your handbook - this is due to an sgreement they created between them a few years back. There's a list of companies involved in the agreement ABI Winter Tyres Agreement Personally I think its the defaulting to summer tyres that is wrong, for all but the high-performance motors. Think of it this way - do you ever exploit a summer tyres capabilities of speed/temperature etc? No, or very rareley. Do you ever drive when the surface temp is below 7-10 degres C, or when its frosty etc? Yes, every day for several months of the year! Soap-box removed ...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RMurphy195 said:

There's a list of companies involved in the agreement ABI Winter Tyres Agreement

Thanks for that Richard - handy to know!

How did we get in this situation  where someone felt it was necessary to produce this abi agreement, did some insurers act unreasonably against people with winter tyres? I never would have thought it was necessary if the tyres are the correct size.  I can’t see why it’s any different to me putting rovello tyres on my car when the original Michelins wore out. Same size tyre , different make different tread pattern. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, isetta said:

How did we get in this situation  where someone felt it was necessary to produce this abi agreement...

I'm guessing it's the same reason that you get a warning printed on take away coffee/tea cups saying, 'WARNING - the contents of this cup may be hot'! LOL

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club