Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

MOT backlog in Northern Ireland...

StephenFord

2 minutes ago, unofix said:

Your confused !!!!!

I'm totally bamboozled to say the least. It may be different in NI, but here in England you can book your car in and get it MOT'd at anytime.

My daughter has just had her car MOT'd despite there still being over two months left on the current one, but since she is selling the car she wanted to be able to advertise it with a full 12 months certificate.

In mainland UK if you book it in within 30 days before the old one expires then the new one will expire one year after the old one expired, not one year after the new test was done.

15 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I'm confused, what is the difference between booking the 'test', and a 'booking'??

Make the booking for a date within 30 days of the expiry of your current cert. Make that booking up to 6 months before.

It's a bit like me saying to you today "Shall we meet up for a pint at Hallowe'en?". We make that arrangement today, but we won't meet up until the end of October.

4 minutes ago, Tizer said:

In mainland UK if you book it in within 30 days before the old one expires then the new one will expire one year after the old one expired, not one year after the new test was done.

That's right. However, that option doesn't exist in NI. Government computer system says no.

1 minute ago, ashmicro said:

Make the booking for a date within 30 days of the expiry of your current cert. Make that booking up to 6 months before.

It's a bit like me saying to you today "Shall we meet up for a pint at Hallowe'en?". We make that arrangement today, but we won't meet up until the end of October.

LOL, I still have no idea what you're talking about. When you go on the gov.ni web site, you get the option to book a date/time for test - not to just meet up some time in the future to discuss firm dates 🤣

8 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

LOL, I still have no idea what you're talking about. When you go on the gov.ni web site, you get the option to book a date/time for test - not to just meet up some time in the future to discuss firm dates 🤣

That's right, and lots of Redditors, for example, think you can't even make the booking until 30 days before. Nichola Mallon's office was deluged with enquiries. It's like booking your summer holidays in January. You aren't going away for 6 months, but you have it all sorted.

If you leave booking your MoT until a month before it's due, under the current situation, it'll be well expired before you get a test date.

4 minutes ago, ashmicro said:

If you leave booking your MoT until a month before it's due, under the current situation, it'll be well expired before you get a test date.

Let me try one last time LOL, what web site are you using that you believe you can make a 'booking' 6 months in advance of cert expiry, that simply holds a place for you to come back again closer to expiry to confirm a proper date/time??

(I'm aware that all members not in NI are bored sh1tless by now 🤣 sorry...)

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

Let me try one last time LOL, what web site are you using that you believe you can make a 'booking' 6 months in advance of cert expiry, that simply holds a place for you to come back again closer to expiry to confirm a proper date/time??

That's not what I said. Basically, book really early, and ignore the contradictory advice that you can't even make a booking until you're a month out.

21 minutes ago, ashmicro said:

1 minute ago, ashmicro said:

That's not what I said. Basically, book really early, and ignore the contradictory advice that you can't even make a booking until you're a month out.

Right, in true Dragon's Den style - I'm out... 🤣🤣🤣

I can explain it to you chief, I can't understand it for you.

13 minutes ago, ashmicro said:

I can explain it to you chief, I can't understand it for you.

That's the thing, I'm still waiting for an explanation! Obviously I'm just too stupid to understand how the whole process works, you're far too clever for me, god knows how I've been MOTing cars for the last 4 decades, it's all beyond me now... 😁

Just saw on TV last night (NewsNight) that increasing the interval between MOT tests is now being considered by the government as one of it's multitude of actions in tackling the general cost of living - fingers crossed...

• Like 1

Might be a double-edged sword though if the criteria for an advisory or fail changes to take account of the extended interval for components such as Suspension, Brakes etc.

3 minutes ago, Tizer said:

Might be a double-edged sword though if the criteria for an advisory or fail changes to take account of the extended interval for components such as Suspension, Brakes etc.

Having experienced a 2 year delay here due to covid, they stayed exactly the same, if you fail eventual test, you still get 14 days to resolve and retest...

I'm not really understanding how this improves the cost of living crisis?

MOTs can be had for £30-£50 a year.  Servicing, repairs and consumables all massively outweigh that, even before considering fuel or tax.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

MOTs can be had for £30-£50 a year.... 

As someone on a fixed income, I can confirm it's not just the cost of the actual MOT, but the potential consequences of a failure. Those with substantial disposable income (and I use to be one of them!), a follow up repair of maybe £200 to £500 or even more is not a true issue in the grand scheme of things. For the likes of me, that genuinely effects my ability to buy heating oil (now £1/liter up from 42p), or even food.

Yes, you can argue, 'but what about 'brakes' 'suspension' etc etc. Well, in 40 years I have never had a failure that is life threatening, yes, a car costs money to maintain, but as I've said previously on this post, the number of accidents in the UK show that 99.2% are caused by other reasons other than mechanical failure. I'd much prefer drivers stop playing space invaders on their darn phone than being forced to pay for a suspension bush that maybe dodgy...

• Thanks 1

We've all seen your accident figures now lol. 

I just can't see that being allowed to drive with a dangerous fault for an extra year is good for anyone at all.  They'll just be hit with a higher repair bill every 2 years!  If the idea was that the car will still be maintained to the same standard then great...but then we're back to £30 for a clean pass being very little in the scheme of driving costs.

I'm well aware of how much cars cost to run and maintain.  For most of my driving career I couldn't have run a car on my income without doing all repairs & maintenance myself.  But I also don't believe that should be a reason to allow potentially dangerous vehicles to remain on the road.  I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Think of the poor mechanics out of a job? Well not really as there is a shortage any way and 2 yr intervals may solve that to an extent. 

• Like 1

Makes you wonder how other countries survive without an annual MOT test. 🤣

Germany - every 2 years

Australia - no regular 'MOT' type test

France - every 2 years

Italy - every 2 years

USA - majority of states do not require any MOT type test (some do)

• Like 1

If only UK drivers were anywhere near as competent as German drivers...  They're safe to cruise at 100mph on unrestricted autobahns with very few RTC's.  Over here people seem to favour doing half the speed limit in the middle lane, on balding budget tyres with 2mm left on 10 year old brake pads.  Whilst complaining about everyone around them!!  :laugh: 

The French and Italians have accidents all the time, every car over there is covered in dents and scrapes!  Totally different mentality to driving and risk in general.  

Most US states do require an inspection nowadays as far as I'm aware.  Generally for registration rather than  a regular annual test though.  California is an interesting one, has had very strict emissions laws for years...but still managed to have a thriving car scene over there!

• Like 1

Just now, TomsFocus said:

...California is an interesting one, has had very strict emissions laws for years...but still managed to have a thriving car scene over there!

It is my understanding that in 2 years, they will be banning the sale & use of petrol lawnmowers! 🤣 Tesla & Dyson probably have teams of folk on that project right now!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

It is my understanding that in 2 years, they will be banning the sale & use of petrol lawnmowers! 🤣 Tesla & Dyson probably have teams of folk on that project right now!

Lol, there's already plenty of choice in battery mowers!! :biggrin: 

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Lol, there's already plenty of choice in battery mowers!! :biggrin: 

Just hope that never happens here, I love my petrol mower, I have many life insecurities, but starting, and using that mower makes me feel like a real man. Who wants to push around a truly awful buzzing contraption! LOL They'll have to pries it out of my cold dead hands...

• Haha 1

I like my electric mower, I gone green while cutting my green. 

But apparently I'm not supposed to cut my lawn , and let it grow wild for the benefit of the birds, beas and insects. ***** right off. 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, iantt said:

But apparently I'm not supposed to cut my lawn , and let it grow wild for the benefit of the birds, beas and insects. ***** right off. 

Indeed...  Our council have taken this approach as a green initiative (and also saves their costs!)...not ideal for us hayfever sufferers though!! :laugh: 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Indeed...  Our council have taken this approach as a green initiative (and also saves their costs!)...not ideal for us hayfever sufferers though!! :laugh: 

Thankfully, my Council still cuts roadside grass, and also, has regular 'drain gully' cleaning trucks in operation, which I know many councils gave up years ago...

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club