Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Switching to Alloys

Luke14

Hello guys,

I have a basic 2014 ford fiesta studio which comes with 14" steel rims. Is it possible to upgrade to alloy wheels? And if so what size should I be looking for because as far as I can see there are not any 14" alloys.

Thanks  for your time 

Size is your choice.  Any alloys from the same era Fiesta will fit fine.  Bigger wheel rims means smaller tyre sidewall to keep the rolling radius the same though.  So you lose a bit of ride comfort like that. 

Either 15 or 16" is about right for the Fiesta imo.  (Though plenty on here will tell you they have a magic carpet ride on 18's lol.)

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply. If I do change them will this affect how accurate my speedometer is due to them being different??

Just now, Luke14 said:

If I do change them will this affect how accurate my speedometer is due to them being different??

No, as long as the rolling radius is kept the same, the speedo will read the same.

You should be fine on 195-50R16 and your speedo will read the same.   Plenty of these at reasonable prices on eBay.

Whatever size you go up to, use the Ford released tyre size for that wheel and speedo will be ok

I strongly recommend keeping your 14's and fitting winter tyres 

3 hours ago, Luke14 said:

...Is it possible to upgrade to alloy wheels?...

Interesting term that, 'upgrade'. With your steel wheels they'll keep their air pressure consistent from one month to another (alloys always need topped up), you'll be constantly worried about kerbing them, (steel wheels don't really 'kerb' and if you are rough, a set of replacement plastic wheel trims are cheap). alloys are a potential theft magnet, no one nicks steel wheels LOL Still, if you want to 'upgrade', best of luck... 🤣

1677004176_steelwheelLoRes.thumb.jpg.dec7d2712a634c98afa96fcea5c0c1ea.jpg

• Like 3

I believe that you can also go up to 17" Alloy's on the Fiesta but you need to fit a steering rack limiter for 17" - https://shop.ford.co.uk/products/steering-rack-limiters-4

Finally got my Ford Performance alloys fitted the other day so have my original Ford OEM 17" alloys going spare :laughing:

3 hours ago, Luke14 said:

as far as I can see there are not any 14" alloys.

There were 14" alloys on econetic versions with 175/65 tyres iirc, but probably quite rare.

20 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Interesting term that, 'upgrade'. With your steel wheels they'll keep their air pressure consistent from one month to another (alloys always need topped up), you'll be constantly worried about kerbing them, (steel wheels don't really 'kerb' and if you are rough, a set of replacement plastic wheel trims are cheap). Alloys are a potential theft magnet, no one nicks steel wheels LOL Still, if you want to 'upgrade', best of luck... 🤣

I guess the main "upgrade" is in terms of appearance which is a personal thing, of course. Must admit, only "upgrades" I've ever done was fitting 4.5" wide Cooper S wheels to a Mini and Lotus Cortina rims (a massive 5.5" wide!) to my Mk 1 1500.😀

Oh - and some scrotes did once nick a set of steels off one of my cars. You must have more discerning thieves in NI!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Still, if you want to 'upgrade', best of luck... 🤣

I'm sure a set of steels would have looked lovely on your GT4! :tongue:

I used to chop and change alloys almost monthly at one point!  Easiest way to transform the look of a car for very little money (with OE wheels...never could afford aftermarkets!).  Was also cheaper to buy a set of alloys with decent tyres than just buying new tyres to have fitted at the time.

My Golf alloys don't lose air, can't say I remember having any that did. Ford wheels are admittedly soft though, so Fiesta alloys are more prone to it. Plus mine have enough sidewall not to get kerbed.  I made a huge judgement error shortly before I stopped driving.  Managed to mount a ~6" kerb leaving a petrol station (in my defence, the pump had been removed from it, but the paving was left)...honestly expected a major scrape on the alloys I'd kept pristine for 3.5 years...not a mark on them lol!!  Just a little bruise on the tyre (not a bulge luckily).  

I can't stand the look of steels on modern cars myself.  Different story on older stuff with half moon centres or banding!

On 5/12/2022 at 3:30 PM, TomsFocus said:

I'm sure a set of steels would have looked lovely on your GT4! :tongue:

Fair comment LOL I did 'upgrade' my wheels, car came with those on the left, changed them for 18" Oz on right!

gt4wheelcomparisonanon.thumb.jpg.ede4a89f65626a6743691c40881e58ae.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Interesting term that, 'upgrade'.

We’ll upgrade may not have been the best choice of words 😂

But all my tyres are close to the limit and I’m not a fan of the way the steels look and the plastics which are heavily scratched (last owner). When looking on eBay you can get some decent condition alloys with decent tyres for the same price as me just getting new tyres for the steels 

As mentioned above econetic diesels had 14inch alloys apart from Style econetic which is steel .  But also some older fiestas had 14 inch alloys with 175 65 14 tyres eg my sisters 2004 fiesta mk6 ghia. I am 95% certain 2004 mk6 wheels are same dimensions - offset etc

If you get alloys make sure you put them on car right away and spin them checking inside and outside for them being bent. And return them if not right - assuming seller said none are bent.  It is common for them to be distorted on the back as alloy wheels are weak and at the back they are not braced well.  And the bigger they are, the lower profile the tyre and hence more likely that pot hole shock reached wheel and not fully absorbed by tyre. On my previous mk6.5 I changed to steels after 3 alloys got bent.  

5 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Interesting term that, 'upgrade'. With your steel wheels they'll keep their air pressure consistent from one month to another (alloys always need topped up), you'll be constantly worried about kerbing them, (steel wheels don't really 'kerb' and if you are rough, a set of replacement plastic wheel trims are cheap). Alloys are a potential theft magnet, no one nicks steel wheels LOL Still, if you want to 'upgrade', best of luck... 🤣

It's not the late 80's, early 90's anymore.  Most cars, even poverty spec, come with alloy wheels as standard these days, therefore there's not the alloy wheel theft that used to be rife.

Steel wheels on the other hand aren't as common, and now that the UK is opening it's eyes to the benefits of winter tyres...... 😉

13 minutes ago, mickywrx said:

Most cars, even poverty spec, come with alloy wheels as standard these days, therefore there's not the alloy wheel theft that used to be rife.

Ford seem to be putting the clock back with the latest Fiesta range where the Titanium comes with steels!😀

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

There were 14" alloys on econetic versions with 175/65 tyres iirc, but probably quite rare.

Yeah, I had one of those

• 1 year later...

Found some alloys ex sierra 14" will they fit a fiesta circa 2004

12 minutes ago, Mikial said:

Found some Alloys ex sierra 14"

Are they 4 stud like a Fiesta ?

3 hours ago, unofix said:

Are they 4 stud like a Fiesta ?

I think they were 4 x 108 - but will be at least 31 years old so check carefully!😀

• Like 2