Do Not Sell My Personal Information

help and advice needed

Paul_Ireland

Hi guys! Ihave a 2006 Focus van 90 bhp. The red engine light comes on at idle goes out at 800 rpm I think the fuel filter is blocked. my question is can i use a sealey vacuum pump to prime the filter, its the pump you use for oil extraction. I live in Ireland quoted 200 euro to supply and fit a filter costing £25

I've never seen a Focus Van, is it some sort of conversion ?

What 'red' light is it that comes on ?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, unofix said:

Seems to be a few on 'google' , but doesn't appear to be a production stream, more a 'custom' thing?

66c4cd750c540ec43b052961e6431409.thumb.jpg.1669e9986ad87218fb67fed50e9cda4e.jpg

Focus van was genuine...but not common in the UK even if sold here.  Basically the rear windows are solid, which does something to the cost.  (Business use rather than private.)

The engine is the same as the standard Focus though.  1.6TDCi.

I don't think an oil suction pump will work for the fuel filter but haven't tried it.  Hand primer is cheap enough though!

6 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Focus van was genuine...but not common in the UK even if sold here.  Basically the rear windows are solid, which does something to the cost.  (Business use rather than private.)

You've just jogged my memory! I believe that 'van' versions were VAT free, I recall in the 80s, there was a load of Peugeot 205 vans running around Southern Ireland, on which once purchased, there was a healthy market in putting windows in the rear LOL

• Haha 2

The way the OP has phrased the question is a bit odd. For a start I would have thought 800rpm is around idling speed anyway. If there was a fuel filter blockage surely the light would come on at higher revs, not go out. To me it looks more like an oil pressure problem.

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2022 at 9:00 PM, mjt said:

The way the OP has phrased the question is a bit odd. For a start I would have thought 800rpm is around idling speed anyway. If there was a fuel filter blockage surely the light would come on at higher revs, not go out. To me it looks more like an oil pressure problem.

Its not the oil pressure light its the drive train warning light a red cog with an exclimation mark running through it. I scanned it and the only fault relates to the brake light switch (on order). The van drives but its extremely hard on diesel maybe 30 mpg. It was serviced a month ago but the fuel filter wasnt changed because it was supposed to be recent. I have the filter and hand pump and fuel pipe so im going to give it a go tomorrow.

Yes its a van from factory has a 6" bulkhead behind the seats and the anemic 90 bhp engine.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 5:10 PM, unofix said:

What 'red' light is it that comes on ?

red cog with an exclimation mark in it

9 hours ago, Paul_Ireland said:

I scanned it and the only fault relates to the brake light switch (on order).

Scanned with a generic OBD reader rather than Forscan?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Scanned with a generic OBD reader rather than Forscan?

delphi

4 minutes ago, Paul_Ireland said:

delphi

Really needs some Ford specific diags on it then, Forscan is ideal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Really needs some Ford specific diags on it then, Forscan is ideal.

scanned with forscan 1 fault P0504

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Paul_Ireland said:

scanned with forscan 1 fault P0504

Thanks.  Odd it's still only that brake switch code.  Didn't think that caused the cog warning light.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see if the replacement switch stops it.

If the fuel filter was blocked you'd usually get a code for 'low fuel pressure'.

59 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Thanks.  Odd it's still only that brake switch code.  Didn't think that caused the cog warning light.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see if the replacement switch stops it.

If the fuel filter was blocked you'd usually get a code for 'low fuel pressure'.

It has blown a couple of the main light fuses no rear lights no dash lights etc a fuse lasts a few weeks so maybe the switch is shorting? it drives ok sore on diesel but its being used on short trips (no dpf)

turned out it was the brake light switch, btw its a bit of a pig tp get to

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club