Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford focus MK3 Petrol: fan sounds when turned off?

Gsfocus

Hi,

I have had my Ford Focus Mk3 ecoboost with a 1 litre petrol turbo engine, 15 registration, 45000 mileage for a year now. Up to about a week ago I had no issues with it whatsoever.

Just last week I felt like about 10 minutes into my journey I could hear a constant sound which can only be best described as a sound you would hear from the engine if you were accelerating rapidly, as if you've pushed down the accelerator pedal except the sound is constant and keeps coming. That sound when the car is being pushed on a low gear because it needs to be at a higher gear.

As I drive I can't diagnose any cause, I have been driving very cautiously and not allowing the car to need to push itself at a low gear. Not that I did that much ordinarily anyway.

I checked my dashboard to see any irregularities but there are none. The car itself drives as good as always. I checked the coolant, water and inside the bonnet for irregularities but I couldn't find anything wrong.

I then concluded it must be because of the hot weather however I was proven wrong as today was a cold day and the car kept making the sound. From the outside standing in front of the car, it sounded like the engine was on and the sound comes from around where the front grille is.

If I turn the key to turn it off the sound comes for about 7 minutes constantly then it shuts off. 

Can someone please help me diagnose what the issue may be?

Thank you.

sounds like cooling fan, thats normal to run on after engine off. have you checked your water level too in the expansion tank to make sure it`s not below min

Also worth checking the active grille shutter isn't stuck closed and triggering the fan as a failsafe - as with a recent thread on here.

While it is normal for the fan to run on a little in hot weather...if it wasn't doing it last summer then it does suggest a fault rather than a normal function.

5 hours ago, andypsp said:

sounds like cooling fan, thats normal to run on after engine off. have you checked your water level too in the expansion tank to make sure it`s not below min

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

While it is normal for the fan to run on a little in hot weather...if it wasn't doing it last summer then it does suggest a fault rather than a normal function.

Thanks for the replies.

Today the issue persisted and my trip computer confirmed there was an issue with the car. The computer read something along the lines of "Temperature reduced due to low engine power" and at that moment I could feel my car pushing itself to continue. It was as if the engine wasn't getting fuel. It sounded empty. I got it home and parked it. Then as I drove to the mechanic just down the road, the car stalled itself. I knew it wasn't right and normal because I didn't put the clutch up enough for it to stall and I once again heard emptiness as if the car didn't have fuel. Even pressing down on the accelerator didn't help it from stalling. Even as I parked it in reverse it stalled. I held it just at the biting point. As I drove it today it felt more like the car had no power and was running on its last mechanical breath.

The mechanic told me its likely a thermostat issue or a water pump issue but I have no way of verifying what he is saying. 

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't drive it again until you can get the codes read and coolant system checked, the car is entering limp mode and you could do more damage driving it, assuming it's not too late.

How is the coolant level? The 1.0 is very senstive to overheating.

52 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I wouldn't drive it again until you can get the codes read and coolant system checked, the car is entering limp mode and you could do more damage driving it, assuming it's not too late.

How is the coolant level? The 1.0 is very senstive to overheating.

Well I checked the coolant level and it's fine. The mechanic I took it to seems to be telling me it's definitely the thermostat and he has told me a fix is to clean the water pump? Doesn't make sense how it can be both issues. 

The codes were checked today apparently and no issues came up surprisingly. According to the mechanic this means the issue is definitely not the engine since no dashboard light illuminates to suggest anything of the sort. 

Its very troubling knowing there's a major danger with driving it...

It's just a risk I wouldn't personally be willing to take on the 1.0

The 1 litre turbo Ford engine must be the least tolerant engine, it self destructs in the blink of an eye if something is wrong.  You can’t take a chance on it. 

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

It's just a risk I wouldn't personally be willing to take on the 1.0

1 hour ago, isetta said:

The 1 litre turbo Ford engine must be the least tolerant engine, it self destructs in the blink of an eye if something is wrong.  You can’t take a chance on it. 

Cheers guys your input is appreciated.

Update: The mechanic fixed the car and stated he changed the thermostat and cleaned the water pump. He also claimed to put new anti freeze coolant in.

It seems to be running fine now and the sound which started coming shortly into the journey didn't come after a 30 minutes which it usually does. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club