Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is This Unique To Ecosports?

Turvey
聽Share

Been noticing these ugly marks underneath the door mirrors on both sides!聽

They seem easy to clean off but they annoy the hell out of me 馃檮

Not noticed it on the 2 Fiestas in the household so is it just an EcoSport thing? Any easy way to fix it? Apart from washing it more often! 馃榾

IMG_20220517_163654306.jpg

Its where the door mirror drains, seen this on other cars not just Ford.

• Like 2

Never had that problem with my Ecosport, do you fold them in when you park up only some people I know prefer to leave them out and I wonder if the weather gets inside whilst parked.

• Like 1

Ah, I see the problem here...your indicator fluid is leaking. :wink:

There must be some grime stuck somewhere if that's constantly coming out of the mirror base.聽 I think it's just needs a 'good' clean once, rather than more cleaning.聽 You can see the small drain hole in your picture.聽 Getting something in there would be a good start...perhaps compressed air or plain water to avoid any risk to other components.聽 If the mirror glass is easy enough to remove, I'd also want to clean behind/underneath that.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Ah, I see the problem here...your indicator fluid is leaking. :wink:

I've just paid extra to get it topped up as well! 馃檮馃榾

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, billyboy said:

10 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

There must be some grime stuck somewhere if that's constantly coming out of the mirror base.聽 I think it's just needs a 'good' clean once, rather than more cleaning.聽 You can see the small drain hole in your picture.聽 Getting something in there would be a good start...perhaps compressed air or plain water to avoid any risk to other components.聽 If the mirror glass is easy enough to remove, I'd also want to clean behind/underneath that.

Just had a wee (careful) poke with a screwdriver into the drain hole and a fair amount of chalky deposit fell out so I'm thinking of getting the outer cover off and give it a proper clean 馃憤

12 hours ago, billyboy said:

Never had that problem with my Ecosport, do you fold them in when you park up only some people I know prefer to leave them out and I wonder if the weather gets inside whilst parked.

Set to fold when locked but don't lock it very often! Parked on a drive in a low crime rate area 馃槈

• Like 2

Chalky deposits is most likely aluminium corroding聽

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, iantt said:

Chalky deposits is most likely aluminium corroding聽

Correct! 馃槻

IMG_20220519_174008768_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

23 minutes ago, Turvey said:

Correct! 馃槻

IMG_20220519_174008768_HDR.jpg

Oh yes!!!! . Oh yes!!!!!. Yay. I'm right for once. That was a lucky guess.聽

Sorry, I mean that's not looking good.聽

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, iantt said:

Sorry, I mean that's not looking good.聽

No, it's not! Salty atmosphere obviously doesn't do aluminium many favours.聽

Thinking a wash with white vinegar and a brush would clean the worst of it away? Would a quick spray of lacquer help to slow down it happening again?聽

8 minutes ago, Turvey said:

No, it's not! Salty atmosphere obviously doesn't do aluminium many favours.聽

Thinking a wash with white vinegar and a brush would clean the worst of it away? Would a quick spray of lacquer help to slow down it happening again?聽

No idea, I'm not an aluminium expert聽

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, iantt said:

馃檮 馃榾

Driver's side was worse! 馃槻

IMG_20220520_162107764_HDR.jpg

• Sad 1

It's dendritic growth, a common problem with many soft alloys. The mirror bracket is made from an aluminum alloy (commonly referred to as white metal). This is the reason it is very difficult to paint aluminum, and the reason for the need to always use an etch primmer, otherwise the dendrictic growth continues to form under the paint and eventually it falls off.

Give the bracket a good brush down to remove the loose white powder and then a good spray with WD40 (or similar), or even a light spray with 3 in 1 oil. There is no point it trying to paint it as you will be unable to get it clean enough, and as I've said you would need to use an etch primer first.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2022 at 6:29 PM, iantt said:

Nor me.聽 Now, if it was Titanium... :biggrin:

• Haha 1

To be fair when I first read the first post I thought Turvey was referring to the whole car as being ugly both sides. The front and backs no better. 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, iantt said:

To be fair when I first read the first post I thought Turvey was referring to the whole car as being ugly both sides. The front and backs no better. 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

Harsh! 馃榾

3 minutes ago, Turvey said:

Harsh! 馃榾

Yep馃ぃ馃ぃ

22 hours ago, iantt said:

To be fair I've seen worse looking cars on the road! 馃槻馃榾

Only reason we buy higher cars is because Mrs Turvey has disintegrating discs and finds it very difficult to get in and out of anything lower.聽聽

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club