Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Automatic boot popper springs or struts...anyone got these?

STP975

I fancy an auto-popping boot lid on the Fiz ST. Seen Emerald struts for £89 and the self-fit springs on eBay for £17 - now the FPO says "no way" to me spending £90 on the struts and part of me agrees with her, but I'm in the boot 4 times a day, every day in life and 6 times on shopping days and at weekends. So...I would love to hit the plip twice and have the boot open by itself. 

There isn't a lot of room at the end of the struts for the springs when the hatch is closed, looks about 20mm or so and I'm sure I read the springs need 35mm so that's probably no use, as the ST struts look thicker probably from having to lift the rear wing, than the standard Fiesta ones in the listing for the helper springs.

I also feel the mounting plates at each end of the struts look a bit flimsy to be honest. (thinking of the extra forces on them when the door is closed with the additional power of the springs added)

So, any comments, thoughts, experiences anyone?

I've got the emerald struts on my mk8 and they are amazing

They started super stiff and actually made me consider taking them off again, however over time they have slightly softened and I've been told they will soften a little more

I would recommend emerald struts but the price tag is a bit high but if you are in and out of it a lot every day it might be worth it. 

Haven't tried any self-fit springs

*Edit* - I have seen quite a few people selling their used/new struts on facebook marketplace, might be worth a look

• Like 1

I've had my struts for nearly 2 years and a firend of mine over 2 years on a Mk8 and all is good.

Same as what @AndyB3 said, give them some time and they will soften up.

IMO its worth the price for a quality strut, but be aware, make sure you get the new version as the old was a bit flakey from what i read around the interwebs so maybe thats whats being sold on FB.

• Like 1

I have emerald struts on my mk7.5, they are great however after a year they bent the lid side bracket

• Like 1

This question comes up every few weeks. You'll find half the people just love them, and the other half swear they'll destroy your hatch! Like asking, what do you think of 'X brand' of tyre, a whole rainbow of opinions. Just go with your gut, then post back here at the appropriate time either for, or against 🤣

• Like 2

Thanks folks. I do think the brackets on the hatch side look a bit flimsy, though the body ones are braced and look like they would be fine, I might look into getting thicker hatch brackets made up first. Good to get a broad spectrum of views. I would buy new as suggested.

I'll give them a go and see how I get on!

On 5/23/2022 at 10:06 AM, STP975 said:

Thanks folks. I do think the brackets on the hatch side look a bit flimsy, though the body ones are braced and look like they would be fine, I might look into getting thicker hatch brackets made up first. Good to get a broad spectrum of views. I would buy new as suggested.

I'll give them a go and see how I get on!

If u do, could you get a second pair made up, I'd be willing to buy them, as mine are a little f@#ked

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 10:06 AM, STP975 said:

I do think the brackets on the hatch side look a bit flimsy, though the body ones are braced and look like they would be fine

It may very well be that Ford designed them that way on purpose. With a mild to moderate rear end shunt the hatch brackets would be sacrificial and help reduce any damage to the main body ones. This is just a thought, I don't actually know this to be the case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unofix said:

It may very well be that Ford designed them that way on purpose. With a mild to moderate rear end shunt the hatch brackets would be sacrificial and help reduce any damage to the main body ones. This is just a thought, I don't actually know this to be the case.

Could be, as the body ones are welded on and the hatch ones are bolted. I replaced those bolts with Stainless ones and the brackets are not that sturdy really. The original bolts were corroded and looked naff. 

6 hours ago, unofix said:

Nah they designed them that way because stamped steel and two bolts either side is far cheaper

Hi.i have the Emerald struts and had them for 3 months now and great.

i heard and read horror stories about bent bracket etc but from me i have tried and tested and they are A1.

So i don't agree with the stories about them (i have tried and tested and my opinion ) there amazing.

2 hours ago, jace1969 said:

i heard and read horror stories about bent bracket etc but from me i have tried and tested and they are A1.

So i don't agree with the stories about them (i have tried and tested and my opinion ) there amazing.

In the interest of balance, we should now hear from an owner whose hatch broke off due to them 🤣

• Haha 1

Hi i have them on my car and there great,i have been asked in the past about them ,great for shopping etc.

15 hours ago, jace1969 said:

My horror story only happened after having them on my car for a year

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Neb_engineer said:

My horror story only happened after having them on my car for a year

I will wait a year then but so far Amazing.

Would be good to hear from people with bad ones as i have been waiting for them to pop off or something break.

👍😁

• Like 1

That's mine after a year

IMG20220321022720.jpg

IMG20220321022705.jpg

3 minutes ago, Neb_engineer said:

That's mine after a year

Not sure what I'm looking at apart from minor surface rust. Are you 'for', or 'against'?  😁

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Not sure what I'm looking at apart from minor surface rust. Are you 'for', or 'against'?  😁

Look at the brackets themselves, the bends can be seen in the form of the coating looking different, I am for them, you just have to be aware of the brackets

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club