Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

experian account /credit score help

jace1969

I'm have problems doing a credit check and setting up a Experian account,the reason why is for age verification through amazon when ordering things.

As far as i can think  i have never had credit in the last 30+ years (im 53) now,i have tried other sites but this is the one i want.

It says could be 2 problems, no accounts to check/ wrong name which is not.

So are you having trouble getting an amazon account and want to check your credit history? but also having trouble viewing that too?

Do you not have any credit accounts? like utility companies, mobile phone, credit cards, bank/savings accounts, mortgage/rent account etc.

I'm no expert but not having credit accounts harms your credit rating because the company checking you can't see any so won't know how good or bad you are at paying for things.

Not read this but there might be some further information HERE

My credit rating has always been 'Excellent'.  First checked aged 23 with no credit at all (never had a contract phone or credit card), moved out and got a few credit accounts (TV licence, water etc)...still excellent.  Financed a brand new car last year...still excellent. 

Don't understand it myself, it never seems to change!  Admittedly I've never missed a payment so far, but even so, would expect it to go up and down?

I have an amazon account and all fine but say you order something with age verification and then you fill in the details.

Your age/date of birth/house number and address etc and press confirm it says sorry we cant check your age,could be a few reasons and gives you some.

Its not mainly for a credit score as i have not had any credit for things for over 30 years just for the age thing.

I have E-Mailed Experian for advice on this,im thinking as i never have credit i have no details held.

i do have a Experian account but amazon uses this one and its one of the main ones but it still dont work.

hmm, not sure there. Are you on the electoral register? I know that not being on it will affect you creditability but don't know if it's used for anything else (apart from voting).

52 minutes ago, Frembrit said:

hmm, not sure there. Are you on the electoral register? I know that not being on it will affect you creditability but don't know if it's used for anything else (apart from voting).

Yes always been done and filled in, everything that is needed are all done and fine,i just can't understand it.

Like i said i have e-mailed them to see why as i can never buy age restricted stuff off amazon.

Well, I hope you get it sorted out.

Have you asked amazon directly if they can give you a specific reason as to the failed age verification?  I can't say I've ever had to fill in any forms on amazon, just automatically goes though.  :unsure: 

7 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Have you asked Amazon directly if they can give you a specific reason as to the failed age verification?  I can't say I've ever had to fill in any forms on Amazon, just automatically goes though.  :unsure: 

No,it was i wanted a garden knife and had to fill the 18+ form and it rejected it.

I will see if i can find anything as my account should state my age etc.

Here it is on the amazon info on age restriction.

Age Restricted Items

Certain items available on amazon.co.uk are age-restricted.

By placing an order for one of these items, you are declaring that you are 18 years of age or over. These items must be used responsibly and appropriately. There are a number of measures in place to confirm that a customer is eligible to purchase an age restricted item. One of these measures is asking customers to provide a name, date of birth and address during checkout for the purchase of age-restricted products.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jace1969 said:

Its not mainly for a credit score as i have not had any credit for things for over 30 years just for the age thing.

This might be a stupid question but how do you normally pay for things when ordering anything online ?

Credit Card, Bank Card, PayPal ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jace1969 said:

Here it is on the Amazon info on age restriction.

Age Restricted Items

Certain items available on Amazon.co.uk are age-restricted.

By placing an order for one of these items, you are declaring that you are 18 years of age or over. These items must be used responsibly and appropriately. There are a number of measures in place to confirm that a customer is eligible to purchase an age restricted item. One of these measures is asking customers to provide a name, date of birth and address during checkout for the purchase of age-restricted products.

Might be a recent thing as I haven't bought anything age related for a while.  Reason being that the delivery driver wouldn't leave it in my safe place as they do with (almost) everything else.

I'd still drop them a message and ask them directly in case they can see specifically why it's failing on your account.  I used the amazon webchat a few weeks ago and it worked well.

11 hours ago, unofix said:

This might be a stupid question but how do you normally pay for things when ordering anything online ?

Credit Card, Bank Card, PayPal ?

amazon payments is through my credit card.

I think i know the problem but aint got a clue to get round it,my house address.

I have only held the tenancy for 12 months from December,although i have lived here for 38years and been on the forms.

Mom and dad passed away,dad was the last just over 2 years ago and i took over the tenancy which is all sorted now but not been 12 months yet.

Aint got a clue how to get around that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, jace1969 said:

Amazon payments is through my credit card.

Then I don't see what amazon has a problem with. In the UK the legal age to be able to obtain a Credit Card is 18 Years.

• Thanks 1

People move house all the time.  I can't imagine amazon would prevent people buying knives, glue & alcohol for the first year they live in the property. :unsure: 

16 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Might be a recent thing as I haven't bought anything age related for a while.

'age related' has been around for over 30 years, I use to do training in the 90s on the topic when it applied to videos, and some computer games. It was the late 80s that it applied to the sale of knives...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

'age related' has been around for over 30 years, I use to do training in the 90s on the topic when it applied to videos, and some computer games. It was the late 80s that it applied to the sale of knives...

I mean Amazons policy to ask for your entire life story, not age related sales in general.  I'm all too familiar with those, after selling alcohol to underage kids more than once at my supermarket job... :unsure:  

In my defence, one of those did have a driving licence in his hand...having just stolen it from someone outside the the shop! :rolleyes:  As if I was meant to refuse him shortly before the end of my shift on a dark winter night anyway. :laugh: 

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

I mean Amazons policy to ask for your entire life story, not age related sales in general.  

It's all a nonsense anyway, as @unofix has already stated, if payment is made by credit card, that is proof you're at least 18 years old!

Just now, StephenFord said:

It's all a nonsense anyway, as @unofix has already stated, if payment is made by credit card, that is proof you're at least 18 years old!

A kid could have nicked a card from their Mum's purse tbf.  That's not an accepted proof of age.  

Best way to verify age for an online store would be to cross reference name & address with a photo ID like driving licence or passport number.   I'm not sure what they're using without those...possibly the electoral register as suggested above.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Best way to verify age for an online store would be to cross reference name & address with a photo ID like driving licence or passport number.   I'm not sure what they're using without those...possibly the electoral register as suggested above.

Seriously Tom, this is amazon we're talking about. You'd think it was a responsible retailer the way you are defending them. The only responsibility they have is to make money to fly their boss to outer space, and collect infinite data from their customer base. (Online & via Alexa recording every conversation) This 'age' thing will be nothing more than a computer c*ck up where someone in HQ has hit the wrong button! 🤣

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Seriously Tom, this is Amazon we're talking about. You'd think it was a responsible retailer the way you are defending them. The only responsibility they have is to make money to fly their boss to outer space, and collect infinite data from their customer base. (Online & via Alexa recording every conversation) This 'age' thing will be nothing more than a computer c*ck up where someone in HQ has hit the wrong button! 🤣

It's nothing to do with them really, it's the ludicrous amount of 'safeguarding' that's legally required nowadays...often at determent to actually providing a service to people that need it.  I'd better not get started on that subject though. :laugh: 

• Like 1

amazon do there checks through Experian as it is stated on the page,i have contacted them just awaiting a reply.

Tried another way,my friend has a amazon account and im the second named Delivery so tried to order it that way.

Rejected on my address but ok on his address so will await the Experian reply,i also spoke to amazon live chat and they cant understand it as its re-directed to Experian for there check so they cant see why.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 1:36 AM, jace1969 said:

Amazon do there checks through Experian as it is stated on the page,i have contacted them just awaiting a reply.

That's encouraging. I dealt with Experian when first launched over 25 years ago in my retail career, their checks are usually pretty accurate and valid, they should be able to determine what your age is!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update off Experian, they check it through Electra roll and current address.

If you have moved recently, they must have that as well,but there is a big problem.

Say if you live in the house but passed on Tenancy (like me ) as i have lived here over 38 years and was passed to me but i have only been the tenace for 6 months as dad passed away 2 years ago and took over 12 months to get the tenancy into my name then i have no chance on the Age Verification,i don't need credit check.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1