Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Puma Hill Start Assist

Frank Cheddle

Hi all...I joined the club a few weeks back. My first post, query! .. I hope doing things correctly. My topic, My new Ford Puma ST Line X 1.0 L Ecoboost 155Ps does not have Hill Start Assist. I have been back and forth to my dealer asking if my Puma should have this, a lot of promises but no facts whatsoever, I assumed all cars are fitted with this. Can anyone advise me on this. Thank you so much. Frank

Afaik all new cars need to have this and that’s been the case since the Puma came out, it was required before the car launched so all Pumas should have it. 

Do you have an auto hold button? That’s largely replaced hill start assist, if that’s turned off you might not get anything. 

You need to firmly press the brake pedal to engage it when you come to a stop. 

• Like 2

Thank You Alex...my Puma doesn't have an auto hold button. But I have followed your advice regarding a firm brake pedal press and wow, it worked. Thanks again, Frank

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Is there not an indicator on the dashboard to say auto hold is active?  I have the auto hold on my Focus Vignale and hope it would be with the new Puma I have ordered.

15 minutes ago, Chris Ross said:

Is there not an indicator on the dashboard to say auto hold is active?  I have the auto hold on my Focus Vignale and hope it would be with the new Puma I have ordered.

Puma has a manual handbrake...  It doesn't have the same EPB & AutoHold setup as the Focus.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Puma has a manual handbrake...  It doesn't have the same EPB & AutoHold setup as the Focus.

Ah yes, thanks for refreshing my memory, it has been 6 months since I had my test drive.  Not sure what the thread is about then?

40 minutes ago, Chris Ross said:

Not sure what the thread is about then?

User error...  The OP replied further down to confirm that HSA works with a firm brake pedal press. :smile: 

There is no dash warning, it only applies on hills of a certain gradient, and it only lasts a few seconds - so you can't rely on it to hold indefinitely or every time in the same way as you can the auto-hold in the Focus.

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

as you can the auto-hold in the Focus.

I 'Love' the auto-hold in my Focus, don't know how I've driven all these years with out it. 👍 😀

• Like 2

Often thought about this, think the lack of AHB and AH is a missed trick by ford on the Puma - gonna be strange for me as my previous car of some 10 years has AHB......

Probably a cost saving / make people by focuses way ?!....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simon401982 said:

Often thought about this, think the lack of AHB and AH is a missed trick by ford on the Puma - gonna be strange for me as my previous car of some 10 years has AHB......

Probably a cost saving / make people by focuses way ?!....

Absolutely agree, it was a poor choice for Ford in all honesty.  The raised ride & seat height makes the Puma ideal for many people with mobility issues...but the manual handbrake often makes them unsuitable and forces those potential customers into alternate brands.  The Focus is often considered too large for people considering the Puma. 

I know it's based on the Fiesta platform but it can't have taken much design alteration to use the Focus rear brake system.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club