Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reverse noise

F0CUE

Why do focus's make a strange sound when reversing? This happened on my MK2 1.6 and also on my current car. It sounds like clutch woop. Does anyone else get this? It sounds like metal scraping together to the point that it gets a high pitched sound 

• Sad 1

Sorry can't help you on this. Mine is an auto and a diesel, makes the same London taxi noise which ever direction I go 🤣

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

Why do focus's make a strange sound when reversing? This happened on my MK2 1.6 and also on my current car. It sounds like clutch woop. Does anyone else get this? It sounds like metal scraping together to the point that it gets a high pitched sound 

If you just mean in general, then it’s because reverse gears are straight cut, not helical like the forward gears. It’s cheaper. 
Straight cut gears teeth clatter together at high frequency and cause the typical reverse gear whine. The forward gears are helical cut so they are quiet. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

If you just mean in general, then it’s because reverse gears are straight cut, not helical like the forward gears. It’s cheaper. 
Straight cut gears teeth clatter together at high frequency and cause the typical reverse gear whine. The forward gears are helical cut so they are quiet. 

Great answer that makes sense 👍