Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clunk when braking and turning the car to park

DvxPT

Good afternoon, 

I have been recently noticing that my mk8 Fiesta is doing a clunk when braking and doing a hard turn (when parking the car) I haven't noticed it when I'm not putting my foot on the brake. I don't feel anything in the steering wheel so I don't think that is the steering column. 

Anyone has heard something about this kind of issue? 

Thanks in advance. 

I had something similar with my previous  mk8. It turned out to be the brake pads clunking in the callipers. Some anti binding stuff or something I think the mechanic used to fix it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the dealership today and they fixed the issue. It was the brake pump that needed some lubricant. It was a quick and easy fix and they didn't charge anything. Just leaving this here for anyone that has or will have the same issue. 

• Thanks 1

Well, the solution only lasted 1 day. The brakes are making the clunk noise again,and now it seems that it's worse. Maybe it's the brake pump that needs replacing. Has anyone had a similar issue with their mk8? 

Just to add to the topic, they said that my pads were almost gone, they gave me a 2000 km lifespan on them. Maybe that's the cause of the issue and probably they are the factory ones, so I'm going to have them replaced to see if it solves the problem. 

• 2 weeks later...

New and last post since the problem has been solved once and for all. 

It was the brake pads that were worn out and even when they put some product to keep things in place, they were moving and making the noise. 

Never have I thought that a simple worn out brake pad kit could make a noise so disturbing, I thought the front end was going to break off from the rest of the car 😅

Paid 100 euros for the new pads (labour included) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, 4 days later and the noise is back, but not as much as before, I checked the brakes and noticed that I can move the metal wire around the caliper if I push it closer to the disk and vice versa. Maybe it's moving when I brake and turn? I'm getting really annoyed with this. Even with the brake pads replacement. I'm almost giving up and embracing the noise. 

1657135060620716077033899600450.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys, still no solution to my problem. 

Yesterday I noticed a other noise, when I was turning the wheel on a roundabout, I started hearing a high pitched squealing noise from the front wheels, it stopped when the wheels where straight centered. 

Maybe it haa something to do with the brake clunk? 

• 1 month later...

Well, today I got my car from the shop and they changed the brake calipers. This ones seem different. They have a more shiny metal look, while the stock ones were matte. 

Are they the ones that are equipping the newer models? (face-lift) 

2 hours ago, DvxPT said:

Well, today I got my car from the shop and they changed the brake calipers. This ones seem different. They have a more shiny metal look, while the stock ones were matte. 

Are they the ones that are equipping the newer models? (face-lift) 

Well. I tried the car and it's still the same as before. I give up. Going to contact a lawyer so I can return the car. 1 year and a half and still no solution. 

Wow your having a bad time with those brakes!

The silver spring you are pushing will move, it is brake pad retaining spring, this is normal. 

The high pitch squeal you can hear around the roundabouts is probably one of the brake disc back plates ever so slightly making contact with the disc. This has probably been slightly disturbed from the brakes being replaced.  The reason its happening only on round abouts is because even though these are all fixed solid items the car does flex ever so slightly, we have had this many times at work, i would put your hand through the top of the wheel just above the brake disc and push the metal plate back slightly away from the disc.

The other cause could be if they didnt replace your discs and now the pads are starting to cut into the lip of the disc. We find on most occasions now cars need discs every pad change as are below minimum thicknesses, this is because brake pads are made from much more course stronger materials and last alot longer than they used to.

Your clonk could still be your pads moving and knocking, i can see small amount of grease on the pad itself but non on the brake carrier.

I hope even a tiny bit of this helps as you have had no responses yet.

On 6/12/2022 at 10:02 PM, DvxPT said:

Just to add to the topic, they said that my pads were almost gone, they gave me a 2000 km lifespan on them. Maybe that's the cause of the issue and probably they are the factory ones, so I'm going to have them replaced to see if it solves the problem. 

2000km from pads? That is unnaceptable unless you are racing through mountain passes every day or there is a brake issue which causes premature wear.

1 hour ago, Ecosport2019 said:

Im assume they meant thats what was left on them

Yeah that's correct. 

I've already started talking to a lawyer from a public organization that deals exclusively with automotive companies. 

I bought the car used from a certified Ford dealer.

They took a month to deliver the car when the seller said it would be delivered in a week.

When I got the car and went to wash it, it had a LOT of mud stuck in the wheel sockets, near the suspension. I had to spent 3 euros just to wash the wheel sockets, that were full of mud.

Even the goddamn receipt was delivered with the wrong price (1000 euros less), and only after 3 months they "corrected" it. They sent me a 1000 receipt instead of giving me one for the whole value of the car. Basically the seller has put the 1000 euros in his pocket, without passing through taxes.

The car had its grill loose. It had a noise every time I turned, but wasn't the brakes, it was a metal plate that needed soldering.

Then while they were trying to fing the issue mentioned above, they found the clunking brakes problem. Still nothing.

A year and a half after buying the car and still no solution.

My parents have bought every car they have had in that same dealership since the late 80's. And they fricked the customer fidelity that could have been passed to a new generation, as a former salesman, this is an embarrassment for the business.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there. I just noticed that this ball joint appears to have some gunk and oil. That's from the front right side. The left one is completely clean. Maybe this is causing the noise? I am going to get the car checked at a mechanic that specializes in rally cars, just to see if he can find the issue. Drastic measures 😂

IMG_20221009_131827.jpg

• 10 months later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club