Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight bulb replacement

Coatsyy

Hello folks 

I am currently replacing the dipped beam bulb in my 2011 Focus, however - 1 of the 4 screws was completely seized. I tried the usual methods with WD40 etc but in the end had to drill it out. The head of the screw has come off in the process. The thread is still in the hole. I can now replace the bulbs which is good, however how do I get the thread out? I’ve tried pliers but struggle to get any traction. What can I do in the short term, is it driveable with only 1 screw head on the headlights? It’s the front screw if that matters! 

Also, where can I get a new screw ASAP? Anywhere on the car I can steal one from? 

Thank you 😊 

There's only one screw holding the headlight cluster in.  Where have you found 3 others? :unsure:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

There's only one screw holding the headlight cluster in.  Where have you found 3 others? :unsure:

It’s a MK3, there’s one the side of the headlight and towards the front of the car. Both are Torx. Across both headlights, that makes four 😂 

I’ve got it out with pliers now, just where can I get a replacement ASAP (and cheaply)?

7 minutes ago, Coatsyy said:

It’s a MK3, there’s one the side of the headlight and towards the front of the car. Both are Torx. Across both headlights, that makes four 😂 

I’ve got it out with pliers now, just where can I get a replacement ASAP (and cheaply)?

Use a self tapping screw that is slightly larger

• Thanks 1

Thanks - looks like they are 6MM wide? I’ll get something similar 

14 minutes ago, Coatsyy said:

Thanks - looks like they are 6MM wide? I’ll get something similar 

No scrappy near you? Or ford parts store shouldn't cost very much.

• Like 2

Alternative would be to take one of the original bolts to a hardware store and measure it against the bolts there. 6mm is an M6 bolt

Not that I’m aware of in regards to scrap yard, I’ll have a look. If there is one I’ll ask if I can knick one! 

I think I may have mis measured! Looks to be about 2-3MM from measuring the washer. I believe that means M2/M3. 

• Like 1

Am I the only one still curious where the '4 x screws' are when to take the headlight out, you only need to remove one bolt? 😁

EDIT

Just seen this:

"it’s a MK3, there’s one the side of the headlight and towards the front of the car. Both are Torx. Across both headlights, that makes four 😂 "

That's cheating LOL - both sides of car

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Am I the only one still curious where the '4 x screws' are when to take the headlight out, you only need to remove one bolt? 😁

EDIT

Just seen this:

"it’s a MK3, there’s one the side of the headlight and towards the front of the car. Both are Torx. Across both headlights, that makes four 😂 "

That's cheating LOL - both sides of car

Does help if you read the post. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ford dealer will have one on the shelf and it will fit.

Prepared to be proved wrong, but surely it can't cost more than 50p.  How much cheaper do you want it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, alanfp said:

Ford dealer will have one on the shelf and it will fit.

Prepared to be proved wrong, but surely it can't cost more than 50p.  How much cheaper do you want it?

49p would be better

• Haha 1

Screw cost 30p plus small order handling of £5 plus £4.70 admin to raise an invoice + VAT or should we just say £10 for cash sir ? 🤣

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, unofix said:

Screw cost 30p plus small order handling of £5 plus £4.70 admin to raise an invoice + VAT or should we just say £10 for cash sir ? 🤣

We will give you a call when it arrives in stock, unfortunately due to Covid, Brexit and the ongoing fighting delivery will be sometime next year, 2024 at the latest

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Coatsyy said:

Ah, fair play, may be worth mentioning Mk3 in any future posts as 2011 can be either! :laugh: 

Part number of the screw is 1382031.  6x19.5mm. 

Used on loads of different models so Ford dealer should have them on the shelf as above.  Or very easy to find at breakers yards if you've got one of those closer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers chaps, bulbs successfully fitted (and working) and screw sorted. Used a similar bolt I have at home, for the short term. Will go to a breakers soon. 

• Like 3