Do Not Sell My Personal Information

mk4 focus 2019 relay for horn location

jdw44

I have a horn that has stopped working and all fuses are okay and just need to locate the relay. Possible horn faulty so will need to find out how to replace if its not the relay.

There are very few relays on modern cars, perhaps just on some high power circuits.

I would expect it's just controlled by circuitry.

5 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

There are very few relays on modern cars, perhaps just on some high power circuits.

I would expect it's just controlled by circuitry.

As Alex has said the horn on a 2019 or 2022 model (your profile says both) is controlled by the Body Control Module (BCM). On such a new car it would be unlikely to be a fault with the BCM but it is just possible.

Start by disconnecting the wire from the horn and check this with a voltmeter and see if it has 12V when you press the horn switch. You can test the horn itself just by connecting it to the 12V battery direct with a length of wire.

Do you know where the horn is located and easily removed to check

Would pressing the keys on central locking x2 activate horn, 2019 model eco boost 

The horn "chirp" has not been a feature on UK cars for many years, so the answer would be no.

I think it has two horns, (twin tone) I'd be surprised if both are broken. They hang off the front crash bar afaik.

I'll try and find some pics, but generally anywhere showing the install of a FMIC you can see them,

I managed to find and remove horn, under drivers headlamp. I removed under carriage and used a 10mm socket and removed one horm.

are they any other suppliers to fit this connection or does it have to be the same ford 2019 exoboost focus model.

image.jpg

6 hours ago, jdw44 said:

are they any other suppliers to fit this connection or does it have to be the same ford 2019 exoboost focus model.

I don't quite understand your question.

Have you tested the horn by putting 12 volts directly on it ?

Tested horn and it works from car battery when linking with wires.

back checking fuses and may have to look at switch on steering wheel, all other controls work on the steering wheel.

1 hour ago, unofix said:

And fords wiring diagrams shows it as fuse 37.🤣🤣🤣usual ford wiring. 

Oh and the relay is non serviceable as its part of the bcm. 

• Like 1

Well it's fuse number 15 or 37 or something else 🤣

Ford like to set a challenge 👍

3 hours ago, unofix said:

Well it's fuse number 15 or 37 or something else 🤣

Ford like to set a challenge 👍

Your right there, quite often there's no wiring diagram for various components or complete systems missing And location of components . 

I have not checked fuse number 37, so I will check tonight even though it states moonroof. I check the fuse 15 (horn before) and one fuse at the passenger seat well that stated alarm horn (all good). I will check tonight and provide update as I am not keen on stripping the out steering wheel as this has the air bag printed on it. 

Both fuses working. And horn tested working again before refitting.

So it's most likely a faulty horn push switch OR a fault with the BCM.

If you use the software FORScan you will be able to check the operation of the switch and also the operation of the BCM.

Download FORScan: https://forscan.org/download.html

ELM327 cable: https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/USB_Modified_with_switch_ELM327/p4541936_17045457.aspx

Horn back working. It was easier to remove headlamp(2 screws) to access horn area. I check that 12volts at connection from car and can only think of a bad connection from horn, not sure but I herd a horn noise when connecting fuse back together, very strange as the horn was not connected, are they another horn.

There is a separate horn for the security system. Its tucked up inside the front nearside wing.

Just glad all working as I was quote £60 diagnostic test and horn supplied and fitted £160 by ford Arnold Clark even though horn was replace 14 month ago and warranty was only 2 month out, not pleased by ford but that’s the situation. 

• 3 months later...

My horn isn't working but I think it might be the clock spring.. I do still need to check the fuses but it randomly works so pretty sure not a fuse issue (will check and clean terminals on horn too)

however just had a new remote programmed to the car and that raised an issue with one of the modules (can't remember which one) which apparently occurs if someone previously tried to connect a non genuine remote (the one I had added was direct from ford) and it need to be reset/reflashed apparently (now got a tpms system malfunction error after the remote getting added) told the module itself is ok as if not working the interiors lights would flash

Going to wait for this to be looked at and fixed to see if resolve horn issue as well seeing as there are no relays and controlled by modules (been looking for relay location online for ages with no luck (for obvious reasons highlighted in the thread lol)

• 8 months later...
On 5/30/2022 at 9:39 PM, jdw44 said:

Just glad all working as I was quote £60 diagnostic test and horn supplied and fitted £160 by ford Arnold Clark even though horn was replace 14 month ago and warranty was only 2 month out, not pleased by ford but that’s the situation. 

Legend, My horn was intermittent and then died completely. checked my fuses, fine. Was gonna book an auto-electricial but stumbled across this. Took the headlight out, unplugged and plugged the horn. Back to chirping away. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club