Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sunroof middle glass cracked

Gingerjan

Panoramic sunroof middle glass cracked whilst traveling but no evidence of cracking on top or bottom glass. Sunroof has never been used as we use air con any ideas... manufacturing problem?

1 hour ago, Gingerjan said:

Panoramic sunroof middle glass cracked whilst traveling but no evidence of cracking on top or bottom glass. Sunroof has never been used as we use air con any ideas... manufacturing problem?

Potentially a stress crack it's not common but does happen.

Your glass roof is in 99% of cases covered by your insurance policy under 'Glass breakage' You will have to pay the glass excess (normally less that £75). Claims for glass breakage does not affect NCD but contact your insurance company for confirmation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gingerjan said:

It's stress cracking and is a common problem with the original laminated glass sunroofs fitted to the Edge.

Fords have now replaced it with toughened (tempered) glass which although if broken, breaks into a zillion little pieces that go everywhere it is about 10 times stronger than laminated glass and much less likely to break. You cant tell the difference when fitted.

If you're in the UK and have comprehensive insurance you should be a able to get it replaced without affecting your no-claims bonus with only a nominal excess of about £50-100. 

If not, replacement is very expensive ($2,200 for Edge owners in America! see https://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/26474-cracked-sunroof/?tab=comments#comment-197449).

• Like 1

Hi.

Yes it would be best to check with you insurer as a number of insurers don't cover panoramic roofs under the windscreen glass section.

Regards,

Dan. 

On 5/26/2022 at 8:30 PM, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

Yes it would be best to check with you insurer as a number of insurers don't cover panoramic roofs under the windscreen glass section.

Regards,

Dan. 

Hi All

I have fully comp ins, and my ins co do not cover my cracked laminated fixed glass part of sunfoof under the windscreen part of my policy.

I have an aftermarket glass crack repair kit, and am waiting until summer heat to apply. In meantime I have been monitoring crack, which has remained the same size.

Happy Motoring 

Dave

58 minutes ago, DavesEdge said:

I have an aftermarket glass crack repair kit, and am waiting until summer heat to apply. In meantime I have been monitoring crack, which has remained the same size.

Best to do it now, it might not work well if too much grime gets in the crack.

On 6/2/2022 at 9:28 AM, DavesEdge said:

Hi All

I have fully comp ins, and my ins co do not cover my cracked laminated fixed glass part of sunfoof under the windscreen part of my policy.

Happy Motoring 

Dave

It must depend on the policy then.

I was lucky. When mine cracked it, was covered like the windscreen and all the other glass under my insurance policy. Just a £75 excess to pay and no change to the no claims bonus.

I have definitely seen motor policies that exclude sunroof glass in the windscreen section , although windscreen section covers the back and side windows.   But that does not mean the sunroof is not covered. It is still normally covered but under the same section as crash damage to bodywork, so is subject to the same xs and no claims discount rules as crash damage. Unless they try to use some other exclusion about it being a pre-existing defect

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club