Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

EE turning off my mobile signal, don't you just love big companies...

StephenFord

I live in a rural area, mobile signal is pretty non existent. However, I have used with massive success my EE 3G box which plugs into my router to give me a 5 bar strength bubble in my house.

EE just sent me an email to tell me that it will stop working in 4 weeks (really short notice!). So, is there another generic box I can get to provide a secure signal bubble in my house? My mum recently had a stroke and my phone has been a lifeline to ensure all her current care is contactable.

I can't afford to spend more money, I have no disposable income and haven't even turned my heating on in 3 months, so is there a cheap option considering my phone is not WiFi compatible, so basically I'm scr*wed - thanks EE

789471804_signalboxEE.thumb.jpg.c52a7de8be405e065a190b556f5b233e.jpg

• Sad 1

Have you checked the other main mobile providers to see if any now offer better coverage in your area without the need for that device?

I know it's difficult to find cheap PAYG SIMs now but that might be the only option.  (I'm still on O2 Classic - 4p per minute, 2p per text, 1p per MB, no monthly needed.)

im on carphone warehouse ID mobile 6 quid a month 6 gig, 1000 minutes, unlimited texts. I think most are moving to monthly, just depends on what masts are near you.

can you not upgrade your phone then piggyback off it data or line wise generally called tethering bit of a faff but could reseolve your issue.

11 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Have you checked the other main mobile providers to see if any now offer better coverage in your area without the need for that device?

I know it's difficult to find cheap PAYG SIMs now but that might be the only option.  (I'm still on O2 Classic - 4p per minute, 2p per text, 1p per MB, no monthly needed.)

Tom, I pay £6/month for unlimited calls & texts, and 2Gb data (I've never used more than 0.5Gb LOL) The plan suits me perfectly. The few neighbours I've asked all use WiFi calling as the signal is so poor. A couple of weeks back a visiting friend on Vodafone asked for my WiFi password so he could call work! I'd love to keep the status quo,  but EE have other ideas...

I had to Google to see what this was all about as I've not heard of the technology before! 🙄

On the EE page regarding the closure they have a Q+A type thing and it looks like they 'could' help with a phone upgrade 🤞 worth a try.

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/general/signal-box/improve-your-signal-at-home-using-signal-box

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Turvey said:

On the EE page regarding the closure they have a Q+A type thing and it looks like they 'could' help with a phone upgrade 🤞 worth a try.

Thanks for that, actually hadn't seen that page. I did phone EE earlier today, and yes, they simply tried to sell me a new phone (no loyalty discount, or help for them removing my service) LOL 🤣 Well, what did I expect...

Have you tried to set your phone to 2g only to see if performs better for calls when it is not constantly looking for 3 and 4g. Might help or I might be wrong.

The only other thing is I believe EE and to a lesser extent Vodafone invested their resources heavily into 4g at the expense of 2 and 3g, whereas some of the cheaper providers have a better 2 and 3g coverage at the expense of 4g. 

2 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Tom, I pay £6/month for unlimited calls & texts, and 2Gb data (I've never used more than 0.5Gb LOL) The plan suits me perfectly. The few neighbours I've asked all use WiFi calling as the signal is so poor. A couple of weeks back a visiting friend on Vodafone asked for my WiFi password so he could call work! I'd love to keep the status quo,  but EE have other ideas...

£6 a month!!  I don't use that much in a year... :laugh:  

Does sound like the best option would be a phone that supports WiFi if that's what the neighbours do.  Don't suppose any of them have an 'old' phone they no longer need after upgrading lol? :whistling:

Just checked my phone's settings and I can't find anything about WiFi calling so assume that doesn't support it either.

11 minutes ago, Tizer said:

Have you tried to set your phone to 2g only to see if performs better for calls when it is not constantly looking for 3 and 4g. Might help or I might be wrong.

I only have the option of 3G & 4G...

10 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Does sound like the best option would be a phone that supports WiFi if that's what the neighbours do. 

Could be my only option, but ironically, I just bought a like for like replacement phone 2 months ago as current one was acting up (though now working fine!)

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

£6 a month!!  I don't use that much in a year... :laugh:  

Does sound like the best option would be a phone that supports Wi-Fi if that's what the neighbours do.  Don't suppose any of them have an 'old' phone they no longer need after upgrading lol? :whistling:

Just checked my phone's settings and I can't find anything about Wi-Fi calling so assume that doesn't support it either.

To get Wi-Fi and 4g calling it also needs to be provisioned by your provider as well as having a compatible phone and often the phone needs to have been bought from them so that it has their customised firmware on it unless it is an iPhone.

Most providers only give Wi-Fi calling to monthly contract customers.

• Thanks 1

buy an open phone - unlocked to any network

1 minute ago, Jimpster said:

buy an open phone - unlocked to any network

It is an open phone - totally unlocked. Who buys a locked phone these days? LOL

• Haha 1

I found WiFi calling hit or miss. When I enabled it every call dropped after exactly 30 minutes, so I turned it off. Your mileage may vary.

Have you checked the coverage from other providers? At my mum's house I can only get a decent signal on Vodafone; maybe there's another provider you can switch to that is better at coverage.

i also use messenger and whatttsapp to call freinds

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

i also use messenger and whatttsapp to call freinds

I despise FaceBook with a passion, and they also own whatsapp, so won't go near any 'social media' as I consider them all to be nothing more than data mining operations LOL

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, erictcleric said:

I found WiFi calling hit or miss. When I enabled it every call dropped after exactly 30 minutes, so I turned it off. Your mileage may vary.

Have you checked the coverage from other providers? At my mum's house I can only get a decent signal on Vodafone; maybe there's another provider you can switch to that is better at coverage.

Bet you are with Vodafone, they have a problem with certain phones that are 4g/Wi-Fi enabled. It took me months to get them to fix that problem on my phone (it was 29 minutes 50 Seconds exactly on mine) and they can't or can't be bothered to fix it on others. 

1 hour ago, Tizer said:

Bet you are with Vodafone

Yep. Even changed phone and still get the same issue. On the plus side it does mean I don't spend ages chatting/provides an excuse when I have better things to do.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I despise FaceBook with a passion, and they also own whatsapp, so won't go near any 'social media' as I consider them all to be nothing more than data mining operations LOL

You may loathe them with a passion but if only used as networking tools, they work, I have 8 friends i interact with, a couple of  mk2 focus groups and a sleep apnea group and that about it, lond as the apps are locked down security wise they may serve your purpose, the VOIP protocol works well and 99% of my call use this medium.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

... I have 8 friends i interact with..

My young nephew thinks he has 100s of friends LOL I have 2, the kind that if phoned at 3am will come out and help you no questions asked. TBH, this forum is my only major 'social media' I interact with...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

My young nephew thinks he has 100s of friends LOL I have 2, the kind that if phoned at 3am will come out and help you no questions asked. TBH, this forum is my only major 'social media' I interact with...

And I guess you've probably known those 2 for 40+ years? 

Trouble is, some of us never find those, and have to make do with the ones we vaguely know through Facebook or Instagram.  I don't know anyone that would help in a crisis and it is genuinely a constant thought in the back of my mind.  Of course, it works both ways though, I'm unlikely to be able to help anyone else in an emergency nowadays.

This forum is also really the only social interaction I get, it's just a shame members are spread so far across the country!

• Like 2

2 of my 8 i have never actuall met, but have been friends for 15-20 years from the early days of torrent sites, if anyone remembers or has heard of Phoenix. We can talk to each other openly with no subject taboo were that close we know everything about each other. One in south wales the other in scotland, we were talking about actually getting together then lockdown happened. I suppose true friends is an age thing.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

And I guess you've probably known those 2 for 40+ years?

Yes LOL one is a lifelong friend (our parents were friends) and the other was gained from school. You'd be surprised who would help out in a genuine crisis. A few years back when I was admitted unexpectedly to hospital, my major worry was my cat, who would feed/look out for her. A neighbour who I was on, 'hello' terms stepped up and totally put me at ease.

Once I was discharged, they got in the habit of leaving me in a plate of food regularly till I was back on my feet, many people are just genuinely kind, and I don't think they're that rare.

I guess that's why I'm so cynical against FB friends, if there was another name for them, I'd probably be more accepting, but a 'friend' to me has a very old fashioned meaning.

I'm sure that if the chips were truly down, you'd find people that would help you out.

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club