Do Not Sell My Personal Information

best course of action for crack windscreen

froggy8

hi guys,

i have just noticed a crack coming back from the shops. is it best to make a claim or fix it myself?

many thanks guys

Modern screens are bonded in and form part of the cars structure so not really a DIY job.

You can ask a few local windscreen places how much they'd charge for a private replacement job, and then compare that against your insurance excess.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

i have just noticed a crack coming back from the shops. is it best to make a claim or fix it myself?

As Tom said, you can't really 'fix' it yourself, unless you mean paying for it outside your insurance? Most policies have pretty good coverage, and you'll get a replacement screen for £50 to £100 excess payment. On your own, you'll be paying out £500 upwards!

• Like 2

many thanks guys

had a look on internet for a quote lastnight and it was indeed around £500. couldnt believe how expensive it is!

rang my insurance up jut now and they told me to repair it, i would have to pay £20 for excess but i am bit concerned if its not repairable and might need a replacement instead.

3 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

many thanks guys

had a look on internet for a quote lastnight and it was indeed around £500. couldnt believe how expensive it is!

rang my insurance up jut now and they told me to repair it, i would have to pay £20 for excess but i am bit concerned if its not repairable and might need a replacement instead.

Wouldn't worry, the excess should apply for a repair OR a replacement (still much cheaper than you paying for it). Just leave it in the hands of the experts...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Wouldn't worry, the excess should apply for a repair OR a replacement (still much cheaper than you paying for it). Just leave it in the hands of the experts...

so claim it is?

Just now, froggy8 said:

so claim it is?

Unless you're related to Elon Musk LOL

• Like 1

Just now, StephenFord said:

i apologize, i am no good with jokes.

• Haha 1

Just now, StephenFord said:

oh i think i get it, it means if i am rich?

• Like 1

If it's a crack rather than a chip, there's very little chance of it being repairable. 

Would expect around £100 for replacement excess.  It should be listed in your insurance documents if you have them to hand, or accessible via an online account in most cases nowadays.

• Like 3

ring around your local scrappers, they generally have guys that remove screens from write offs etc and will refit to yours, i had it done on my previous mk2 rear quarter light cost me £40 all in.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

If it's a crack rather than a chip, there's very little chance of it being repairable. 

Would expect around £100 for replacement excess.  It should be listed in your insurance documents if you have them to hand, or accessible via an online account in most cases nowadays.

not sure if you see the crack:

20220528-151655.jpg
20220528-151739.jpg
20220528-151748.jpg
20220528-151750.jpg
20220528-151752.jpg

the crack has got longer since last night so will need a replacement, just on the phone to my insurance, they told me i have pay £80.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

the crack has got longer since last night so will need a replacement, just on the phone to my insurance, they told me i have pay £80.

Yep, that's irreparable! £80 is cheap for a nice shiny new one, snatch their hand off before they change their mind 🤣

• Like 2

only problem is they cant come to me till 10th of june. i have now tried clear nail varnish to stop it spreading as i still need to drive.

5 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

... i have now tried clear nail varnish to stop it spreading as i still need to drive.

That'll only work on a pair of tights - don't ask me how I know LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

That'll only work on a pair of tights - don't ask me how I know LOL

im sorry, are you saying this method will not work?

only not using will stop it and possibly not even then direct sunlight and cold nights etc

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

only not using will stop it and possibly not even then direct sunlight and cold nights etc

i cant think of any other way to stop it from spreading, using the nail varnish was my last option. i have put some on about an hour ago so will check later to see if the spread has gone or not.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

im sorry, are you saying this method will not work?

You may as well put a band aid on it! Don't sweat it, it's only a couple of weeks till it's replaced.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

You may as well put a band aid on it! Don't sweat it, it's only a couple of weeks till it's replaced.

im more concern that it is spreading, it has spread nearly 2 inch from last night.

https://www.carshop.co.uk/latest-news/driving-with-a-cracked-windscreen-rules-and-risks-explained/

Can you drive with a cracked windscreen?

You shouldn’t drive with a cracked windscreen. In fact, if you’re caught driving with a crack in the drivers view, you’re looking at a fixed penalty of three points on your licence and a fine.

It can also cause you to fail your MOT.

In fact, if there is damage anywhere on the windscreen which is 40mm in size or bigger, your car will fail its MOT.

If you look at the diagram below, in zone A – the 290mm portion directly in front of the steering wheel – if you have damage more than 10mm in size, you’ll also fail your MOT.  

image.png

It’s not just the legalities that should put you off though – you can’t see properly in the area of a crack in your windscreen, so you’re putting yourself and others at risk if you're driving. Not only that, but the force put onto your windscreen when you’re driving could easily shatter it, which is very dangerous.

10 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

im more concern that it is spreading, it has spread nearly 2 inch from last night.

If it's causing you sleepless nights, nip down to the windscreen place tomorrow and get their advice, they may put some proper glass adhesive on it to tide you over...

The info about the zones / amount of damage.  Only damage in those zones and within sweep of wipers is mot fail.  BUT it also says it should not fail if it only affects the view of the bonnet or the sky so low down damage or high up damage might not be mot failure.  It also says mot tester should not take into account height of driver.  It’s all a bit unclear exactly where you draw the line.  But a 4 ft crack for example that just runs along the bottom is not mot failure. I would be perfectly happy to drive with cracked screen.  A zealous policeman might not be happy but I reckon you would get away with it if you show you have booked it in. If you can see then it’s not dangerous. It’s not going to suddenly shatter or fall out . It was easier in the days when they well held in by a rubber strip eg 1980s and before.   You nipped down the breakers and got a windscreen for less than twenty quid and could fit it yourself in an hour. Would take a fitter 5 minutes but took me a lot longer

Forgot to say , if damage only just within sweep of wipers you could sometimes solve that mot problem by fitting shorter wipers. Not saying this helps the person who started this thread.  Also I am not a fan of changing windscreen until nearer mot time.  It might get another crack by then and then another claim and excess to pay. You’d be gutted so I don’t replace until I really need to.

Also, I got an earlier date once by taking it to their depot and waiting while they did it there.  But you need a newspaper to read as you can’t drive straight off , needs time for glue to dry, one hour?  Can’t remember for sure

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club