Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK4 Halogen to LED bulbs

Ryanshernut

Hello,

Tried searching threads but couldnt find any recommendations for LED Bulbs to upgrade the standard Halogen H7’s etc. anybody have a tried and tested upgrade to their bulbs

I am aware of standard H7 halogen bulbs such as OSRAM and Philips but would like to see if anybody had success with LED.

much appreciated

Ryan

My friend has a mk4 focus st line, unfortunately his are already factory fitted LED’s, however something I notice about his is that they are a reflector housing. Are yours the same? If so I’d only buy LED Bulbs that say “suitable for a reflector type housing”, or if you buy one that doesn’t say this I’d strongly recommend getting them aligned correctly so they don’t dazzle other drivers. Autobeam sell a HID for a reflector housing.

9 hours ago, Joshmoore02 said:

My friend has a mk4 focus st line, unfortunately his are already factory fitted LED’s, however something I notice about his is that they are a reflector housing. Are yours the same? If so I’d only buy LED bulbs that say “suitable for a reflector type housing”, or if you buy one that doesn’t say this I’d strongly recommend getting them aligned correctly so they don’t dazzle other drivers. Autobeam sell a HID for a reflector housing.

It is no so simple.

There are five type of headlamps for this model. Before end of 2019, basic headlamps were halogens (low "dipped" beam , high beam, turn). Since end of 2019, ford changed basic headlamps replacing low beam bulb with LED, they looks almost identical except the light source for the low beam is LED. The light source is not like bulb, it is in upper part of the reflector. It is not something easy to retrofit. Some people retrofit the whole headlamps swapping old style basic lamps with this modified ones. 

In Germany, OSRAM and PHILIPS certified their special H7 LEDs for FFMK4. This means, that if you mount them, you can be sure you are not dazzling other drivers. But, It does not mean the car has certified headlamps in your country! 

OSRAM H7 requires not only H7 LED, there is a special dedicated adapter, which locates H7 with a proper distance in the socket. There is also an enlarged cap.  PHILIPS may have the same. You can google all details.  Mounting any other LEDs, especially not premium brands, is a lottery, usually beam quality is poor (uneven), they dazzle and its intensity is not as good as expected. 

I have retrofitted the full static LED headlamps, at least it is certified. Maybe it cost a bit but it is really worth it.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 6/11/2022 at 8:36 PM, Ryanshernut said:

Hello,

Tried searching threads but couldnt find any recommendations for LED bulbs to upgrade the standard Halogen H7’s etc. anybody have a tried and tested upgrade to their bulbs. 

I am aware of standard H7 halogen bulbs such as OSRAM and Philips but would like to see if anybody had success with LED.

much appreciated

Ryan

I have tried some cheap LED Bulbs from china. They are really strong and put great light output but, they are way too high. Oncoming drivers are always blinking at me as if i have the high beam on, but it's only low dipped beam.

I am going to try out Philips Ultinon H7 next.