Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0 Ecoboost timing belt survey

cx7117

I have a 63 plate fiesta 1ltr 125 first reg  2014 with approx 41000. When I brought it I did not realise the cost of a new belt  but when I found out , by reading items on here , I contacted my local main dealers who gave me a price of approx £ 1500 . As I have only had the car since Nov of last year , I decided to find a decent small firm to do the job, which I had done last month for £900 including the water pump.( he's ex ford tech who used to do all the belt changes at his local main dealers.) If the car had more miles , I'm sure I would have sold it .

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, aot871 said:

including the water pump

Why the water pump ?

It's the oil pump and oil strainer that should be replaced at the same time as the wet timing belt and the wet oil pump belt.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, unofix said:

Why the water pump ?

It's the oil pump and oil strainer that should be replaced at the same time as the wet timing belt and the wet oil pump belt.

Water pump is external and driven by the aux belt so not necessary to change unless it got signs of leakage. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, iantt said:

Water pump is external and driven by the aux belt so not necessary to change unless it got signs of leakage. 

When the guy removed the pump it was showing signs of starting to leak , he showed me. Regarding the oil strainer  mine was in good condition so he just cleaned it out. He told me half the trouble with the strainers is the wrong oil being used.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

1.4 EcoTSI Seat Leon seems to be a comparable replacement for a Focus 1.0 Ecoboost.

Similar sized car. Same cheap tax to 2017. Slightly better fuel economy. Slightly better performance. Haven't found any servicing or reliability horror stories... yet...

53 minutes ago, cx7117 said:

1.4 EcoTSI Seat Leon seems to be a comparable replacement for a Focus 1.0 Ecoboost.

Similar sized car. Same cheap tax to 2017. Slightly better fuel economy. Slightly better performance. Haven't found any servicing or reliability horror stories... yet...

My son's got a 1.2 tsi seat Leon. I serviced it today and apart from dodgey door locking and rear wiper issue it's a good car. The engine is so quiet compared to ecoboost. And up the road it's supprisingly quiet too. Nice 6speed gearbox.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, iantt said:

My son's got a 1.2 tsi seat Leon. I serviced it today and apart from dodgey door locking and rear wiper issue it's a good car. The engine is so quiet compared to ecoboost. And up the road it's supprisingly quiet too. Nice 6speed gearbox.

Don't suppose you noticed what sort of average MPG he gets from it?  The 1.2 is sub 110bhp iirc...fine in the Ibiza but not really enough for a heavy Leon imo. 🤔

• Like 1

Was quite supprised how well it went really for a low hp. His trip showed 38.5mpg. that will be town driving mostly and work and back( 1.5 miles each way) 

He's only 21 so steered him to the low hp one for insurance cost while building up NCD. He seems happy with it for last 2 years. He not car mad at the moment as I could see from the dirt inside and out. Daughter the same with her car. Not washed from one year to the next. Sure they can't be my kids. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1.2s seemed quite popular when I had my Leon. Quite a few FR look-alike editions were offered so you could have  the sporty looks without the insurance costs.

Even came in an SC 3 door at one point:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/seat/leon-2013-2020/first-drives/seat-leon-sc-12-tsi-first-drive-review

• 3 months later...

2016 eco boost, with 67,000 miles on it , cam belt failed !

ford say. 10 years or 150,000 miles, this is a common fault , so scrap yard it is , do yourself a favour, keep away from these engine, i thought progress was supposed to make things last longer, since when has designing a engine that won't last 70000 miles been progress  ?

Crappy engine, do do your research first , because if you buy one, after about 6 years at average mileage it won't be worth anything.

Would'nt mind if it was a sensible price to have changed, but this engine is not !!! STAYWELL CLEAR

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, steeley man said:

Very disappointing, but on a positive note you are the first ecoboom timing belt failure reported on the forum in nearly 3 weeks. There were normally 3 failures a week reported earlier this year so some progress has been made !

A brand new engine is around £3300 supplied and fitted by PumaSpeed

57 minutes ago, steeley man said:

ford say. 10 years or 150,000 miles, this is a common fault , so scrap yard it is , do yourself a favour, keep away from these engine, i thought progress was supposed to make things last longer, since when has designing a engine that won't last 70000 miles been progress  ?

Crappy engine, do do your research first , because if you buy one, after about 6 years at average mileage it won't be worth anything.

Would'nt mind if it was a sensible price to have changed, but this engine is not !!! STAYWELL CLEAR

That's terrible, sorry to hear that.

It probably hasn't been serviced correctly all it's life or had wrong oil fitted or, worse, someone has used oil flush

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

That's terrible, sorry to hear that.

It probably hasn't been serviced correctly all it's life or had wrong oil fitted or, worse, someone has used oil flush

Or it was rarely used over lockdowns, which allowed moisture build up and oil degradation, starting belt deterioration and a ticking time bomb... :unsure: 

I'm convinced it's the lockdowns that's ruined a lot of these despite appearing to have been serviced correctly.

• Like 1

I bought my car in December last year, with no idea the cost of cambelt. I didn't want to sell so soon so got mine done at 9 years old. I guess it depends on how long you have had the car, how long you want to keep it (if the cambelt wasn't an issue) and if you can afford a new car. It would have to be A or B depending on circumstance. 

• 4 months later...

I might be on the other side of all you who choose option B  😬  I admit i know nothing about cars, but having had our Mk1 Focus for 13 years and 168,000 now on the clock, then a Used Ford Focus was top of my list as a replacement.  Im having to now factor in any Focus thats 6 to 7 years old will need £1,000 spending on it in a few years. Im even more concerned about these belts going snap even before then. Its almost impossible to know what oil has been used, and not many owners probably keep a true record of any services. Its not like used Ford Focuses are cheap here in the UK either right now. 

I asked this question before on another thread. Is there a real big genuine problem with these 2016-2018 Focus, or is just reading a few complaining on the internet (no offence guys),  when hundreds of thousands dont have the issue. 

Do I just look elsewhere like a Hyunda i30 , or Seat Leon for example. 

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to revive but thanks to all above for their opinions. I've got a 2013 125 1.0 Focus Titanium hitting 10 years old in September. 39K miles, serviced by previous owner at dealership and by myself at home for the last 4 years. Always used Ford Spec/branded Castrol oil with Mann filter. 

Very tidy car with many more miles left in it (hopefully) so I'm edging towards eating the cost of a replacement. I wonder how much prices for this job have risen given the current level of general inflation. 

Is there a list of everything included in this job somewhere? I'll be taking it to the local Ford dealer but I know they have a few new mechanics so need to make sure everything is done to spec.

So at ten years old, the car needs about six per cent of its purchase price spent on a major part replacement that was scheduled from the word go.

And you are complaining about it?

One and a half pence per mile and you get an engine that is good for another 100,000 miles in a car that is clearly capable of lasting for another 100,000 miles.

I cannot understand the mentality that makes people try to avoid the scheduled servicing requirements or costs of running a car. It is completely imbecilic and wasteful.

Light aircraft have stringent maintainance requirements. Plenty of them are more than forty years old. They are much less sophisticated than motor cars but the service costs are much greater. People don't scrap them because a big bill is coming up so why is it so with cars?

I shall buy the tools and do the job myself. Don't tell me it isn't an option.  It may not be one of the options available to you but I'll do it, sell on the tools afterwards and expect to be driving mine in 2039 if I last that long.

• Like 1

Dude, chill! Who exactly is your tirade aimed at?

• Like 3

People who buy a car knowing the servicing requirements and then complain when they need to be met. The cost of having the belts done at a hundred thousand miles is in the same ballpark as the cost of a dual mass flywheel and clutch job or a full exhaust system with catalysts and filters. It isn't a lot of money. See what a ten year old car is worth.

Who is complaining? Asking question and gathering information is not complaining. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Revatron said:

Is there a list of everything included in this job somewhere? I'll be taking it to the local Ford dealer but I know they have a few new mechanics so need to make sure everything is done to spec.

I've never seen an official Ford dealerships list of what is included. Currently prices at a main dealer seem to be between £1400 and as high as £1800.

Personally I'd recommend getting the work done sooner rather than later. Remember that 10 years OR 100,000 is the maximum recommended by Ford.

What actually needs replaced and what does get replaced can be two different things. If you ask for the Wet timing belt to be replace you will get that, and possibly also a new water pump. The grey area seems that some garages will also include changing the oil pump wet belt (a very good idea) at the same time, but others class that as extra. What is extra and adds about 2 hours on to the job is if you would like the oil sump pick-up removed, inspected and cleaned. It's probably a good idea to get it checked and or replaced but will cost a few hundred more.

• Like 3

Thanks, will go have a chat with them next week when I'm off work.

48 minutes ago, anon said:

People who buy a car knowing the servicing requirements and then complain when they need to be met. The cost of having the belts done at a hundred thousand miles is in the same ballpark as the cost of a dual mass flywheel and clutch job or a full exhaust system with catalysts and filters. It isn't a lot of money. See what a ten year old car is worth.

Most people buying used 1.0EBs at ~8 years old don't know about a looming £1500 bill at 10 years old.  Most of them won't have done anywhere near 100k.  The used buyers aren't likely to keep them for another 10 years either.  They're bought by people doing low mileage because of the need for cheap tax and high fuel efficiency.  But those savings are immediately wiped out by the belt change.  

They could have bought a Suzuki Swift instead...chain driven engine, requiring no £1500 replacement.  Same sort of fuel & tax costs.  Same sort of power.  But people choose the Fiesta because it looks cool...

I've also just checked...a 10 year old Fiesta 1.0EB with around 100k miles is worth about £5k retail.  Spending £1500 on a car that's only worth approx £4k trade/private doesn't make any financial sense at all!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Of course it does. You get another ten years out of it.