Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0 Ecoboost timing belt survey

cx7117

Invest in you car. You will not regret it. Change that belt and don't try to break a good car. The next owner doesn't need to get scammed because you don't wan to pay 1000€. Also go around and ask other dealers to find a better price

• Confused 1

Really surprised at the attitude of some people here. I thought this was supposed to be a community where people help each other and share knowledge and offer advice. Now someone is accusing people of trying to “scam” someone because a question was asked about whether it was value for money on a cost v price of car basis. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Revatron said:

thought this was supposed to be a community where people help each other and share knowledge and offer advice.

I'd not take it personally. 99% of the people here will offer help and advice and mean well even if some suggestions seem a bit .........well lets just say odd.

There is always the odd one or two that has perhaps failed their diplomacy test 🤣

• Like 2

12 hours ago, unofix said:

I'd not take it personally.

There's only one post on the thread that mentions "scam" as far as I can see. The way I interpreted it the poster was suggesting that getting the belt done would prevent subsequent purchasers being sold a car further down the line where an unscrupulous seller claimed the belt had been changed, but in fact had not. I didn't see it as accusing anyone on here of a scam.

Just my interpretation of course, but I note the poster is non-UK and possibly something was lost in translation?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2023 at 11:10 AM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

There's only one post on the thread that mentions "scam" as far as I can see. The way I interpreted it the poster was suggesting that getting the belt done would prevent subsequent purchasers being sold a car further down the line where an unscrupulous seller claimed the belt had been changed, but in fact had not. I didn't see it as accusing anyone on here of a scam.

Just my interpretation of course, but I note the poster is non-UK and possibly something was lost in translation?

Exactly as said here. The OP should just change the belt and drive the car for some years until the time comes to sell it and get another one. This is better as the alternative was to not do anything and drive past the recommended km/miles for the belt to be changed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Both wet belts finally booked in to be changed on my 13 plate 1.0 ecoboost. £1100 at Cedar garage in Worthing for both can and oil belt. They've said to have all the tools including locking and vct tools so sounds to me like a similar business to what others have quoted elsewhere, indie garage becoming experience and able to offer competitive prices.

Did call up a few months ago and quote was £1600, now £1100 exc any extra parts (didn't ask about vat), so must be getting good business.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mburdett555 said:

Both wet belts finally booked in to be changed on my 13 plate 1.0 ecoboost. £1100 at Cedar garage in Worthing for both can and oil belt.

That's a far better price than many have been forced to pay in recent months. I hope all goes well and you get a good job for the money.

Report back when everything is finished an let others know how it all went 👍

Is it worth getting any other jobs done at the same time? Thinking along the lines of coolant replacement, water pump etc?

2 hours ago, Revatron said:

Is it worth getting any other jobs done at the same time? Thinking along the lines of coolant replacement, water pump etc?

It is really about 'Cost verses benefit' How long do you plan on keeping the car after you get the wet timing belt replaced ?

Here is a list of what you might get done at the same time:

• oil pump wet belt.
  • Replace oil pump
  • Inspect and/or replace oil pick-up strainer (adds another 2 hours to the job)
  • Replace water pump
  • Replace de-gas hoses and fittings (probably not required, but worth inspecting)
  • New oil filter
  • New oil to the correct specification - WSS-M2C948-B  5W20

Of course getting all of that done will probably add another £500 or so to an already large bill.

Just getting what unofix has just said done. All except the hose which shouldn't need replacing. They will be doing the oil pump belt too.

My usual service is in June along with MOT, guess I can tell them not to bother with the oil change etc and just do cabin filter etc 

48 minutes ago, mburdett555 said:

Just getting what unofix has just said done. All except the hose which shouldn't need replacing. They will be doing the oil pump belt too.

My usual service is in June along with MOT, guess I can tell them not to bother with the oil change etc and just do cabin filter etc 

The oil change is the main part of a service.  Don't really need to have that done at all this year.  Can change the cabin filter yourself if you like.

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The oil change is the main part of a service.  Don't really need to have that done at all this year.  Can change the cabin filter yourself if you like.

Okay cheers 

On 4/8/2023 at 11:07 AM, unofix said:

It is really about 'Cost verses benefit' How long do you plan on keeping the car after you get the wet timing belt replaced ?

Here is a list of what you might get done at the same time:

• Oil pump wet belt.
  • Replace Oil pump
  • Inspect and/or replace oil pick-up strainer (adds another 2 hours to the job)
  • Replace water pump
  • Replace de-gas hoses and fittings (probably not required, but worth inspecting)
  • New oil filter
  • New oil to the correct specification - WSS-M2C948-B  5W20

Of course getting all of that done will probably add another £500 or so to an already large bill.

If I’m spending £1500-2000 I’ll be keeping the car as long as possible lol.

My thinking was if they’re opening it all up then they may dump the oil/coolant so why not get it changed. Coolant is 10 year replacement anyway right? 

I’m leaning towards getting it done but if I’m getting it done I’ll get other major things done at the same time. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Revatron said:

If I’m spending £1500-2000 I’ll be keeping the car as long as possible lol.

If the bill to have the engine serviced reaches £2000 I would seriously STOP.

A brand new engine can be bought from PumaSpeed for £2050.99

https://pumaspeed.co.uk/product-Brand-New-Ford-Service-10-EcoBoost-Engine_18898.jsp

This is why I keep flip flopping on getting the belts done. It’s gonna be a minimum of £1200 (captive market, only one dealer, no indies with the right tools). Sure, the cost of that engine does not include re-fitting but it does make me wonder why I should bother. 

If I owned an Ecoboom I would just run it till destruction and then fit a new engine. True it might fail at an inconvenient moment but that is true of any breakdown. 

Buy an engine now and keep it under the bed ready. (might need a big bed). 

The cost of a replacement has already gone up £51 this week. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, unofix said:

If I owned an Ecoboom I would just run it till destruction and then fit a new engine. True it might fail at an inconvenient moment but that is true of any breakdown. 

Buy an engine now and keep it under the bed ready. (might need a big bed). 

The cost of a replacement has already gone up £51 this week. 

I think you’re right. I just can’t see the point on the cost v price of replacement basis. I’m gonna switch to twice yearly oil changes just to help the oil stay in tip-top condition and roll the dice on the belt. Thanks for all the advice. 

• Like 1

So the car is in today for the belt change. In addition to the £1200 quote for the timing belt, oil belt and water pump, they've also quoted the below as "required jobs":

- Replace thermostat housing due to leakage (or something along those lines) £100

- The trailing arm bushes have debonded, £500

An optional job of the below was suggested but I left ignored:

- the rear shock absorbers are weeping £200 iirc, can't remember as closed the page.

Do bushes usually cost £500+?

They can't get the bushes done today so I'll get it done another time.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mburdett555 said:

Sounds a bit unusual to me, perhaps trying to get as much money as possible?

The rear axle bushes are a known weak point on these.  Only takes a couple of seconds to check them while up on a ramp, can almost do it inadvertently.  I don't think it's that unusual to suggest extra work for future.  You could always ask if they're bad enough to fail an MOT...

6 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The rear axle bushes are a known weak point on these.  Only takes a couple of seconds to check them while up on a ramp, can almost do it inadvertently.  I don't think it's that unusual to suggest extra work for future.  You could always ask if they're bad enough to fail an MOT...

They will fail the MOT, is what they advised, so bushes usually cost £500? Doesn't look like a big job, or is it? That's assuming the car is still alive in a few months lol, these belt jobs don't always go to plan 

Just now, mburdett555 said:

They will fail the MOT, is what they advised, so bushes usually cost £500? Doesn't look like a big job, or is it?

The bushes only cost a few quid each.  It's a huge task to change them though, several hours labour for both sides.

Just now, TomsFocus said:

The bushes only cost a few quid each.  It's a huge task to change them though, several hours labour for both sides.

Ok cheers, I guess at 10 years old, now is the time it starts falling to bits 

• Sad 1

Oh dear cars still not ready lol - blown mega fuse. Taken a courtesy car until fixed. Timing belt job went ok though, let's see how it runs 

15 minutes ago, mburdett555 said:

Oh dear cars still not ready lol - blown mega fuse. Taken a courtesy car until fixed. Timing belt job went ok though, let's see how it runs 

You've blown a fuse or the car has?  Fuses aren't exactly hard to source or difficult to change! :unsure:

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

You've blown a fuse or the car has?  Fuses aren't exactly hard to source or difficult to change! :unsure:

Went to pick up the car assuming it would be done (as was told it would be yesterday morning), got there and was advised one of the mega fuses near the battery had blown. They've got a replacement coming in today, but had to take out a courtesy car as got commitments. Wonder what theyve been hooking up to the car to blow it lol

• Confused 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club