1.0 Ecoboost timing belt survey

cx7117

4 minutes ago, mburdett555 said:

Wonder what they've been hooking up to the car to blow it lol

Me too. :unsure:  Doubt they'll tell you the real answer! :rolleyes: 

On 4/4/2023 at 12:11 PM, mburdett555 said:

They've said to have all the tools including locking and vct tools

But apparently not any fuses 🤣

I would hate to think how they blew one of the mega fuses. Standby for the tails of woe when they can't get it started.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, unofix said:

Standby for the tails of woe when they can't get it started.

Are startup problems common after changing a mega fuse or are other problems likely to occur having replaced one? 

It's not the fuse that's the problem, it's what they did to cause it to blow that's the issue.

Best just wait and see, no point in worrying before the event 🤔

• Like 2

The (sizeable) positive cable to the alternator comes all the way across the back of the engine and across the cam cover/engine mounting assembly. It would have been disconnected to remove said cover to replace the belt. I shouldn't guess really, but surmise the battery wasn't disconnected to do the job (risky) and the end of the cable has touched the engine or bodywork at some point. 

Once the fuse has been replaced it should be fine.

5 hours ago, RayC333 said:

The (sizeable) positive cable to the alternator comes all the way across the back of the engine and across the cam cover/engine mounting assembly. It would have been disconnected to remove said cover to replace the belt. I shouldn't guess really, but surmise the battery wasn't disconnected to do the job (risky) and the end of the cable has touched the engine or bodywork at some point. 

Once the fuse has been replaced it should be fine.

Cheers ray, hoping all the sealant, gaskets etc is okay, no leaks or anything those are my main concerns, along with sensor faults etc 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd post over a week on after having it replaced, engine runs fine and no issues. Can see they've changed the crankshaft pulley bolt as it's new do looks like they changed that at least

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Mines coming up in 2 years do I spend a grand and have the car potentially another 10 years till it needs doing again or do I folk out thousands on a new car that could need things replacing 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, Jethro1 said:

Mines coming up in 2 years do I spend a grand

10 years is the maximum recommended age at which to change the wet belt. It's not compulsory to wait until the car has it's tenth birthday, you can change it now or at least get it done next year if you want to limit the potential of an Ecoboom.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jethro1 said:

Mines coming up in 2 years do I spend a grand

Only you can decide, really. Do you like the car enough to keep it another 10 years? Is it in great condition generally? Can you think of anything you'd like better that you could buy for reasonable money? 

If yes, yes, and no - change the belt as Unofix suggests. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club