Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone done a turbo on a ecoboost?

Murph1005
聽Share

All the garages seem to want a lot for what it is, one told me they鈥檇 need it for 2 full days but I鈥檝e just watched a fella on YouTube take one off in 15 min馃槀 I might be wrong but it doesn鈥檛 look to complicated, anyone ever done one and can tell me if it鈥檚 worth attempting myself?

• Like 1

You have a 2013 Ecoboost with a faulty turbo. Have you had the wet belts replaced yet ? If not, they are due in less than 12 months at a cost of between 拢1200 and 拢1500 at current prices.

Has the turbo failed due to oil starvation, which seems a common problem ?

I would think long and hard about spending money on a new turbo before finding out the cause of failure. Wet belts starting to disintegrate clogging up the oil strainer and also the special little oil filter for the turbo are quite a common issue.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, unofix said:

You have a 2013 Ecoboost with a faulty turbo. Have you had the wet belts replaced yet ? If not, they are due in less than 12 months at a cost of between 拢1200 and 拢1500 at current prices.

Has the turbo failed due to oil starvation, which seems a common problem ?

I would think long and hard about spending money on a new turbo before finding out the cause of failure. Wet belts starting to disintegrate clogging up the oil strainer and also the special little oil filter for the turbo are quite a common issue.

Had them done a few weeks ago cost me over 1400 with the pulleys

• Like 2

Just now, Murph1005 said:

Had them done a few weeks ago cost me over 1400 with the pulleys

The garage which done it said I had a tiny oil leak on the turbo but not to worry about it then it went 2 weeks later馃ぃ

Well it looks like your going to have to replace the turbo now that you have already spent the money getting the belts done.

Make sure to check/replace the little gauze filter in the turbo oil lubrication line. By all accounts it's a bit difficult but almost sure to be contaminated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You should read this thread you might find it helpful:

On 12/16/2021 at 5:58 PM, RayC333 said:

Update on this issue. I figured out a way of removing the turbo oil feed filter and, after a lot of planning and prep., I've got it out.

The filter gauze was blocked with hard black debris and some very fine fibrous material (see photos). How it gets through the main oil filter I don't know but somehow it has and has accumulated. To get some of it off to show in the photo I used a tiny scraper - it doesn't just wipe off.

Still waiting for the replacement filter from Ford in the UK as they had to order it from the main facility in Germany. Should have it in the next couple of days. Have added a photo of the old filter (cleaned up) just to show how small it is and how fine the steel gauze is (finer than the oil pump gauze).

Contrary to my previous thought that this filter was protecting the piston oil sprayers, it's actually the other way round. Filter is only covering the oil feed to the turbo, the filter bore goes straight through to the sprayers and was not blocked.

Onward and forward.

IMG_20211216_171115435.jpg

IMG_20211216_145811986.jpg

IMG_20211216_172156750.jpg

• Thanks 1

The turbo can be replaced quite easily and does not require special tools apart from a decent metric socket set, pliers, screwdriver, torque wrench.

New gaskets are needed to sandwich the rear turbo heat shield and seal with the engine and between the replacement turbo and cat. flange.

As previously advised by unofix it's essential you check that there's a good oil feed. This can checked by removing the banjo from the top of the existing turbo and directing it into a catch tank (I used a plastic 2l bottle). Do it from cold for safety. A good feed will fill the bottle quickly so get ready to switch the engine off!!

If there is either no or poor flow a replacement turbo won't last 5 minutes.聽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club