Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newer versions of Sync

The Latman

Hey folks,

Wee question for you.   I have a 66 plate 2017 car, Im toyign with yousing Cyan labe and updatign to the newest version of SYNC 3.x.  Is there any benefit to it, are there extra voice commands or functionality, or is it simply cosmetic?

My brother has a 20 plate Kuga and is on Sync 3.2 or 3 I think it was, it looks a little nicer, but wasnt sure if it did anything extra.

Cosmetic, and perhaps a bit snappier. I went the Cyanlabs route and I think the updated UI looks a lot nicer. It doesn't add new functionality though (except map updates if you do them at the same time). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, erictcleric said:

Cosmetic, and perhaps a bit snappier. I went the Cyanlabs route and I think the updated UI looks a lot nicer. It doesn't add new functionality though (except map updates if you do them at the same time). 

Cool, thats what I thought.  I do the map updates from the Ford site, so far havent had any problems. , well, other than the length of time you have to idle whilst running the engine to do them (not really travelling much these days 🙂

I've contemplated the Cyanlabs route, but am quite nervous that if something goes wrong then thats the thing gubbed.  Kinda keeps me wary enough to just use the Ford maps update, especially if its purely cosmetic changes too.

Other than the length of time it takes to do the full upgrade I've had no issues with the Cyanlabs updates. If you do bite the bullet then plan for at least an hour, so either go for a bit of a drive or have the ignition on/engine off and the battery connected to a charger. 

10 hours ago, erictcleric said:

Other than the length of time it takes to do the full upgrade I've had no issues with the Cyanlabs updates. If you do bite the bullet then plan for at least an hour, so either go for a bit of a drive or have the ignition on/engine off and the battery connected to a charger. 

Cool - thanks pal 🙂

• Like 1

I have used Cyanlabs to upgrade my Sync 3.0 to Sync 3.4 with the latest maps and, apart from the appearance, which I think is far better, I gained radio logos on DAB and FM and also, when using Android Auto with Google Maps or Waze, the directions are echoed to my dashboard. It was easy to do, just factor in a drive of about 1 hour to complete the process.

On 6/24/2022 at 9:36 AM, Paulius55 said:

I have used Cyanlabs to upgrade my Sync 3.0 to Sync 3.4 with the latest maps and, apart from the appearance, which I think is far better, I gained radio logos on DAB and FM and also, when using Android Auto with Google Maps or Waze, the directions are echoed to my dashboard. It was easy to do, just factor in a drive of about 1 hour to complete the process.

Thats good to know that there is some new functionality (DAB logos & the navi data from the smart phone appearing on the dash).   I think I will take the plunge.

Though, what if for some reason the upgrade craps out, is that the whole thing bricked, or is it a case of using the reformat option again?

• Like 1

It will be fine, and if it does turn in to a brick have you seen the cost of houses ?  you'll get a good price for it 🤣

• Haha 2

OK, another question I should have asked.  Android auto navigation appears in the dash screen, does the same happen with Apple CarPlay?

I don't know is the short answer, I hate anything to do with Apple so not something I've ever looked in to. There will be iPhone uses on here who should be able to advise.

Had another thought, my car has the self parking feature.  Will that still work after upgrading to 3.4?  

Might sound like a daft question, but the instructions etc appear on the screen.

Yes, should all work after the upgrade. I didn't lose any functionality: reverse camera, self park, climate, steering wheel controls, etc., all work fine. 

3 hours ago, erictcleric said:

Yes, should all work after the upgrade. I didn't lose any functionality: reverse camera, self park, climate, steering wheel controls, etc., all work fine. 

OK, cool.  I'm quite an unlucky guy and have to do everything the hard way, so thought I'd ask the silly question.  Wherabouts are all these functions programmed?

• Like 1

Your car has over 20 different modules, each is programmed for the task they control.

PCM - Parking Control Module

BCM - Body Control Module

DDM - Drivers Door Module

PDM - Passenger Door Module

ECM - Engine Control Module

APIM - Accessory Protocol Interface Module

You get the general idea the list goes on and on. The Sync screen is just a means of viewing

• Like 2

Great, thanks Unofix for explaining.  I guess I really need to better understand my car for a start too...... OK, so, now I know that the existing functions wont be affected, I think I'll go ahead and upgrade to 3.4.....just need to drive about for an hour..... 🙂

Whether you get it from Ford or cyanlabs the software will be the same, however Ford will only ever offer you the 'official' version for your VIN, cyanlabs allows to to put 3.4 on cars it wasn't intended for. If you go to 3.4 from an earlier version with maps the reformat route is the quickest, take note of the warning for MY20 units.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hearsepilot said:

Whether you get it from Ford or cyanlabs the software will be the same, however Ford will only ever offer you the 'official' version for your VIN, cyanlabs allows to to put 3.4 on cars it wasn't intended for. If you go to 3.4 from an earlier version with maps the reformat route is the quickest, take note of the warning for MY20 units.

Yeah I figured that, I just wasn’t sure about all the other functionality, i had the thought that the sync might have had some hand in the auto park feature…..Unofix explained that though. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so, decided to just update to the latest maps for now.   Downloaded them and started the installation.  It took about 25 minutes of stating ‘updating software’ on the top of the screen before telling me it was going to do a software update, did I accept etc.

I said yes, and almost immediately it returned an error which I can’t remember at the moment.   Looking it up seems to relate to a missing file.

Switched car off, left it for 20 minutes then tried again, with the same result.

I then redownloaded the file, did a master reset and tried again with the same result.   Haven’t reattempted for a few days, but every now and then when I get in the car, it tells me it’s doing a software update and dont unplug the usb (that isn’t connected, if it is, it errors out) and let’s me close the prompt.  

Everything seems to work ok with the exception of if I try and issue any voice commands pertaining to navigation, it displays the commands I can use, but when I use them, it just returns to the Home Screen or radio screen (basically whatever it was on).

im starting to suspect it’s an issue with the usb thumb drive, it’s formatted correctly, but I’ve never used it before (brand new 64gb drive I was given by a family member).  

The one I normally use for these map updates (32gb), has the cyan labs sync updater for 3.4 on it.

So, if I run the cyan labs updater with this issue in the background, could it cause any major problems, or as it’s gonna format the file system anyway, should I just  ‘fire when ready’ and go for a 90 minute drive? (Bonus points for the film quote 🙂 )

Or

should I clear the thumb drive I normally use (32 gb) and reinstall the map update to that, and retry?

I would suspect if you use the Cyanlabs updater it wouldn't care as it'll reformat anyway. 

64gb drives should work ok - that's what I use for updates. Just make sure it is formatted as exFAT and it's a decent brand. 

It’s a sandisk and correctly formatted so not sure why I’m getting errors.

im probably gonna go ahead and go with the cyanlabs software, what’s the worst that can happen…..I have to take it to a Ford Dealer to reset it?

• Like 1

Ok. Wee update.   I reformatted the Sandisk drive, re downloaded the map software (f10) from Ford and tried again.   

After about 5 minutes it promoted me as usual that it would do a software update etc.   as soon as I clicked on the proceed button, I got the error PKG 03 error.  

I got back out of the car, did my thing, back into the car and off I went.   The ‘updating software’ banner appeared and stated that way for roughly 40 minutes.   It then errored out, however checking the ‘About Sync’ button now shows the F10 maps as being installed, it was still F9 the other day.  

What I think might be happening, is the first time I tried it, it must have thought it got interrupted, that would explain why it keeps randomly telling me it’s installing software, but, for whatever reason, when I reinsert the usb, it also tries to start from the beginning, as well as continuing the original installation.

the audio commands for “Find an Address” & “Find a POI” still don’t work, I suspect if I give it a king enough drive with the usb in, this may all sort itself out.

to be honest, I’ll probably just go with CyanLabs, though given the howling mess the official software has caused, I’m now pretty hesitant to try!

Although Cyanlabs uses Ford software packages, the installation process seems to be a lot better. I was hesitant at first, but I do recommend it. The only real issues are 1) don't interrupt the update process (although it doesn't take much longer than the Ford official one) and 2) pay attention to the release notes for the software versions. Latest isn't always best. 

Plus I now have F11 maps... 

• Like 1

I tried fords own a few times and each time it errored, went down the Cyan route and straight in first time full update and maps as well, alot better 

• Thanks 1

Ok, thought I posted this message already, got into the car this morning, the wee arrow was in the top right, clicked it and got the ‘update successful’ message.

the audio commands pertaining to navigation still don’t work, they show up in the list of commands, but don’t work.

what I thinks happened is whatever conflict the system has had seems to have been resolved.   So now I’m considering reusing the Ford map update, though given all the feedback regarding cyanlabs, I think I’ll go for a wee drive through to Edinburgh, loop back to Glasgow then on to home again.   That should give the upgrade plenty of time……..

Watch this space for the next thrilling update from The Latman 😂….

11 hours ago, The Latman said:

I think I’ll go for a wee drive through to Edinburgh, loop back to Glasgow then on to home again.  

Always good to know that the Ford Sync system is doing it's bit for the environment 🤣

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club