Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 2017 - Boot Opener/Button Not Working - Advice Required Please

andyb7777

Hi all,

I'm hoping for a bit of guidance/advice please. The boot opening button on my 2017 Ford Focus will now only open by the use of the key fob as the mechanism seems to have collapsed under the rubber cover that is located in between the reversing camera and light, see photo attached.  When you put your finger on the rubber there is no longer a button to push and so the only way to open the boot is using the key fob.

20220505_151246.thumb.jpg.dbc3f6ded1da742e5f5248c790bb451e.jpg

I have looked online but can't find any specific help as to how to replace the said unit, hence my post.  My questions are:-

Does the whole unit have to be replaced or can the button be accessed and repaired ?

If the whole unit has to be replaced then is it a straight forward plug and play type that will automatically sync with the visual unit in the car or will it have to be reprogrammed ?

How easy is it to remove the unit ?  Does it prize out or do you have to remove the plastic moulding inside the boot to access the back of the unit ?

Many thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Andy

Hello Andy,

The handle assembly is one complete unit and will have to be replaced as such. It includes the number plate lights and the button, but I understand on your model the Ford camera can be removed and transferred to the replacment.

The complete assembly can be removed from the outside with the use of a couple of old credit cards to slide under the edge and push back the spring clips. When you have the replacement in front of you it becomes clear how to push the clips back.

There is no programming involved just unplug and replace.

Example of replacement:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284520939256?hash=item423ec4fef8:g:ee4AAOSwxYxhwZe3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi unofix,

Many thanks for your prompt reply. I have ordered the unit suggested and it's due for delivery next week.

In the meantime, I've had a go at removing the original unit and although I am able to prize out the top and side clips, the bottom clip above the number plate won't budge. I've tried a credit card as well as a screwdriver but there's limited space for manoeuvre and despite some force, the unit won't come out. Any ideas of what else could be used to access the bottom clip without the need to remove the boot liner?

Thanks again for your help, it's really appreciated.

Andy

Hi Andy,

The handle normally can be sprung out without to much force, so I'm not sure why it's stuck.

However the removal of the inside panel is very easy and comes out with a problem giving easy access.

Hi unofix,

I've ordered a set of trim tools and so hopefully these will make it easier when the new handle arrives.

Thanks again for all of your help, it is much appreciated.

Kind regards

Andy

• Like 1

Hi Unofix,

The trim tools and boot handle/reverse camera Shell arrived yesterday and so I'm pleased to say I've successfully replaced the old unit. In the end I had to force the old unit out, breaking one of the clips. Straight forward swap after that and so thanks again for all of your help and assistance, it really is appreciated. All the very best.

Andy

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club