Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2001 Mondeo Ghia X (Auto Petrol) NOT MOVED/STARTED FOR 3 YEARS

Rajput

Hi, my first time on this forum and am hoping I will get some form of help and guidance to my query. I am trying to get my dads car restarted, as it's been sitting on my drive for over 3 years since it last had the MOT which passed in  February 2019. My father sadly passed away in September 2016, the car was running perfectly fine all the time he had it. Now as a project I am trying to get it back on the road initially to start so I can get it to have it MOT again. I've replaced the battery with a brand new one, replaced all 4 spark plugs. added a gallon of petrol, checked all the fuses but still unfortunately no luck. I even tried to jump start the car to give it a boost, I didn't need to as it had a new battery but thought I'd give it a try. I thought I'd would ask on this forum for any further investigation/support and guidance to why it's not starting. When I start the engine it's trying to turn over but just needs a little more of a boost, it sounds like it's about to start but doesn't. A friend of mine reckons it could be fuel related a blocking of some kind, another says the fuel line needs to be checked to see if there's any blockages. Any help would be much appreciated before I call a mobile mechanic if all fails. Thanks Pradeep 

Replace alternator. Most of the time, that is at fault when the car refuses to start.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, OilSheikh said:

Replace alternator. Most of the time, that is at fault when the car refuses to start.

Hi, thanks will try that option 👍

How quickly does the engine turn over when you try to start it ?

How much fuel was left in it when you added fresh fuel to try and start it?

It may be contaminated.

Drain fuel completely, change fuel filter, add fresh fuel, clean plugs, ensure you're getting a spark, check air filter is not clogged or damp strangling engine, check throttle body is not stuck, try again

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OilSheikh said:

Not true. The alternator does nothing until the engine has started. It cannot affect whether it starts or not. Obviously it needs a good battery or a jump to get the engine rotating fast enough to fire.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, agraham said:

Not true. The alternator does nothing until the engine has started. It cannot affect whether it starts or not. Obviously it needs a good battery or a jump to get the engine rotating fast enough to fire.

All my last two cars where the car failed to start was down to a faulty alternator. Merely speaking from experience. 😇

59 minutes ago, OilSheikh said:

All my last two cars where the car failed to start was down to a faulty alternator

Probably because the battery was flat and not been charged enough to turn the engine. The original poster has a new fully charged battery and even jumped it as well. The engine turns but doesn't fire so not the the alternator.

• Like 3

Old fuel can go 'off' apparently, how much was in the tank before you added a gallon...? Can you somehow feed fresh petrol directly into the fuel filter and see if it'll fire up that way, sounds like it's just a matter of persevering with it as it's 'nearly' starting

You could always try spraying easy start in to the air intake.

B&Q diy stores £4.32

easy start.JPG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, agraham said:

Thanks for that, I thought the job of an alternator was to keep the battery charged once car starts. 

13 minutes ago, unofix said:

You could always try spraying easy start in to the air intake.

B&Q diy stores £4.32

easy start.JPG

Thanks somebody else told me to try this type of spray, I'm trying everything to get it started, appreciate your feedback 👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, unofix said:

It turns over as if it's just about to start, but doesn't go that little further, I'll follow all the leads on this forum hopefully I'll get some better luck.

24 minutes ago, nicam49 said:

Old fuel can go 'off' apparently, how much was in the tank before you added a gallon...? Can you somehow feed fresh petrol directly into the fuel filter and see if it'll fire up that way, sounds like it's just a matter of persevering with it as it's 'nearly' starting

There was hardly any fuel in the tank, but after a gallon it's showing having the capacity to do 50 miles. What's the easiest way to drain the fuel, is it difficult or a novice like me could do it ? Trying to search online on YouTube to gather info about the fuel line, diagrams etc.

9 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

How much fuel was left in it when you added fresh fuel to try and start it?

It may be contaminated.

Drain fuel completely, change fuel filter, add fresh fuel, clean plugs, ensure you're getting a spark, check air filter is not clogged or damp strangling engine, check throttle body is not stuck, try again

Thanks DaveT70, I'll try all that you advised👍. I think there was barely any in the tank, but now showing the capacity of 50 miles accordingly to the gallon I added.

Just now, Rajput said:

Thanks DaveT70, I'll try all that you advised👍. I think there was barely any in the tank, but now showing the capacity of 50 miles accordingly to the gallon I added.

Is there any links to an easy method of draining the fuel completely ?

I'd not bother draining it. Clearly there wasn't much in to start with. If you're feeling flush then add another gallon of premium unleaded. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, unofix said:

Hi, it turns over immediately, straight away, but reluctant to keep on doing it as it may drain out the new battery.

4.5 litres giving 50 miles on an auto petrol Mondeo?  Must be the most efficient one in the country! :biggrin:   What size is it out of interest?  1.8, 2.0, 2.5 or 3.0 were all available in Ghia X iirc.

I'd pop the fuel lines off as close to the injectors as you can manage, then run the fuel pump (cycle ignition) to flush the fuel lines through with fresh fuel.  Then change the fuel filter, and do the same again to make sure you're only getting fresh fuel up at the injectors.  Then if it still won't start, give it a sniff of something explosive (deodorant and brake cleaner work just as well as easystart!)...

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

4.5 litres giving 50 miles on an auto petrol Mondeo?  Must be the most efficient one in the country! :biggrin:   What size is it out of interest?  1.8, 2.0, 2.5 or 3.0 were all available in Ghia X iirc.

I'd pop the fuel lines off as close to the injectors as you can manage, then run the fuel pump (cycle ignition) to flush the fuel lines through with fresh fuel.  Then change the fuel filter, and do the same again to make sure you're only getting fresh fuel up at the injectors.  Then if it still won't start, give it a sniff of something explosive (deodorant and brake cleaner work just as well as easystart!)...

😂😂 - Lynx Africa - ignites more then just girls!!..😂- l'll have to remember that one!!....

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Thanks TomsFocus, it's a 2.0, there must be some fuel already in the tank hence why it was probably showing 50 miles capability. I did disconnect the fuel line ( you say fuel lines, is there more than 1 ?) and start up ignition, yellow liquid was dripping out very slowly had no fuel smell at all....it was dripping from the right side of the connected fuel line, if there's any diagram to explain exactly which pipes I should be disconnecting would help.👍

1 minute ago, Rajput said:

Thanks TomsFocus, it's a 2.0, there must be some fuel already in the tank hence why it was probably showing 50 miles capability. I did disconnect the fuel line ( you say fuel lines, is there more than 1 ?) and start up ignition, yellow liquid was dripping out very slowly had no fuel smell at all....it was dripping from the right side of the connected fuel line, if there's any diagram to explain exactly which pipes I should be disconnecting would help.👍

The fuel lines run in a circuit, so you have fuel in and fuel return, then those lines can be further separated by other components such as the fuel filter etc.  I'm now off for this morning but will try to sort a diagram this afternoon if no-one else has sorted one.

• Like 1

Thanks Unofix. 

Sadly I can't find a clear top-down view of a 2.0 black top from a quick Google search, let alone one in a Mk3 Mondeo.  Best I could find was this in the Fiesta ST but it's the same engine.  You are right, there is only one fuel pipe for the rail, and that's the best one to disconnect.  I've circled it here but I'm pretty sure that'll be the one you've already removed?  You should absolutely be getting fuel flowing from that pipe with the ignition on.  Can you hear the whine of the fuel pump running from below the rear seats?

1178136205_2.0petrolfuelpipe.thumb.jpg.222cfdc5546864ea11f6fc33a0678b9f.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The fuel lines run in a circuit, so you have fuel in and fuel return, then those lines can be further separated by other components such as the fuel filter etc.  I'm now off for this morning but will try to sort a diagram this afternoon if no-one else has sorted one.

Thanks mate, appreciate that👍

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club