Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cut out whole driving now it won’t fire back up

Lewis burn

Hello, I have a 2012 1.6 duratorq diesel with 140k on the clock, iv recently just had the luk clutch, fly wheel, master cylinder, duel mass cylinder and slave cylinder and everything was working spot on. Roughly 40/50 mile later I was going down the slip road onto the a19 building my speed it and the car just cut out, tried bumping it but nothing. The car cranks but won’t fire up. Iv plugged it into a computer and got the code for a faulty mass airflow sensor, paid £90 for a higher quality one and still won’t fire up, now Il getting the code p0113 for the IAT sensor circuit high input. Please has anyone got any advice to what is wrong with it 

Suspect broken damaged wiring somewhere, investigate all the breakouts and connections to the engine and transmission, they may have got damaged whilst doing all the work you've just had done

On 6/29/2022 at 9:10 AM, DaveT70 said:

Suspect broken damaged wiring somewhere, investigate all the breakouts and connections to the engine and transmission, they may have got damaged whilst doing all the work you've just had done

Iv checked the voltage through the cables to the maf sensor and everything’s coming back fine, it’s got me stumped to where the fault is when it’s telling me it’s there 

A faulty MAF or Inlet Air Temperature sensor should not cause an engine to cut out or not start. A fault code will be logged but the car should work almost perfectly well on the default settings and guesstimates from the other sensors. If you unplug the sensor assuming it is faulty then that will take it out of the equation and the car should start if the sensor is the only fault. The IAT sensor is normally part of the MAF.

As Dave said something may have become damaged when the work was done. It is unusual for a car to just cut out like that without any stuttering or poor running beforehand. 

The two things I would do is to check that the Timing Belt has not broken or lost some teeth and get set up with FORScan, which will read Ford specific codes and allow you to access Live Data.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s cut out like it ran out of diesel and it’s like it hasn’t got any diesel in when I’m trying to start it, it’s got over half a tank 

16 hours ago, Lewis burn said:

Iv checked the voltage through the cables to the maf sensor and everything’s coming back fine, it’s got me stumped to where the fault is when it’s telling me it’s there 

It could be anything, check all the engine harness and connections

• Like 1

Crank sensor is very close to the timing belt on these, I'd definitely be checking that and the wiring to it myself.

Edit - As you say it feels like there's no diesel, have you checked the fuel side?  If the fuel filter wasn't bled properly, that doesn't always show up immediately.  Though I would have expected it to show before 50 miles (around a gallon of fuel used!).

9 hours ago, Lewis burn said:

It’s cut out like it ran out of diesel and it’s like it hasn’t got any diesel in when I’m trying to start it, it’s got over half a tank 

If no Diesel is getting to the Injectors or they are not firing then the problem could be either mechanical or electrical, you need to establish what is causing the fault then try to find the cause.

• Like 1

I would be checking the high pressure fuel pump.

On 7/1/2022 at 10:03 AM, TomsFocus said:

Crank sensor is very close to the timing belt on these, I'd definitely be checking that and the wiring to it myself.

Edit - As you say it feels like there's no diesel, have you checked the fuel side?  If the fuel filter wasn't bled properly, that doesn't always show up immediately.  Though I would have expected it to show before 50 miles (around a gallon of fuel used!).

It’s got me baffled how it keeps going back to the maf sensor with the fault codes. Iv been under the car and in the bay and as far as I can see no wires are damaged and everything is in place 

1 minute ago, Lewis burn said:

It’s got me baffled how it keeps going back to the maf sensor with the fault codes. Iv been under the car and in the bay and as far as I can see no wires are damaged and everything is in place 

What is the exact fault code it's showing?  And is it from Forscan or just a generic reader?

As already mentioned above, faulty MAF sensor won't usually stop it from starting, so that seems like a red herring.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 10:22 AM, TomsFocus said:

What is the exact fault code it's showing?  And is it from Forscan or just a generic reader?

As already mentioned above, faulty MAF sensor won't usually stop it from starting, so that seems like a red herring.

It started showing p0101 until I changed the MAF sensor now it’s showing p0113, they are just off a generic reader, I don’t have a laptop to use forscan 

43 minutes ago, Lewis burn said:

It started showing p0101 until I changed the MAF sensor now it’s showing p0113, they are just off a generic reader, I don’t have a laptop to use forscan 

You can use Forscan with an Android phone/tablet if you have either of those?  Not sure about Apple devices.  

Alternatively, could you borrow a laptop or something?

Honestly, I wouldn't throw any more parts at it until we've got some Ford specific diags.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club