Do Not Sell My Personal Information

IDS to activate USB.

Nihthrafn

Ok, so finally I have all the bits and installed them(8M5t 19c112 AP  BT with USB module), ford usb cable and the fascia.

Have applied the update to the stereo but pressing AUX I only get line in.

Does anyone nearby to Chesterfield/Mansfield have the IDS setup to be able to hook me up and activate USB so I can play music via a stick?

Please let me know and how much.

TIA

Dave

bump

Can this not be activated using FORScan, in the same way that DAB can be turned on ?

Didn't think that this would only be doable with IDS

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 2:56 PM, unofix said:

Can this not be activated using FORScan, in the same way that DAB can be turned on ?

Didn't think that this would only be doable with IDS

Hiya

I have no idea. If it could be and someone with the module and files that can do it, would be great. For what it would cost me to buy a forscan I would rather pay someone with the nous who knows what they are doing to enable the USB. I have the 9 button stereo, 8m5t 19c112 AP module, usb cable is fitted, just needs turning on.

Just had an email back from a local auto-electrician, webpage touting all the stuff they can do, sent a query and all I got back is 'we don't do car audio'.

Wasn't asking them to do anything with the audio except to access the part of the onboard computer to turn on something that is embedded in it's coding. 

• Like 1

Just for your information FORScan is free, unless you want the extended licence for coding keys etc. Even the licence only costs £12.32 for one year.

The connection lead that you would need is an ELM327 (modified), which can be bought from TunnelRat Electronics for £19.95

FORScan : https://forscan.org/download.html

ELM327 (modified) : https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/USB_Modified_with_switch_ELM327/p4541936_17045457.aspx

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 8:44 PM, unofix said:

Just for your information FORScan is free, unless you want the extended licence for coding keys etc. Even the licence only costs £12.32 for one year.

The connection lead that you would need is an ELM327 (modified), which can be bought from TunnelRat Electronics for £19.95

FORScan : https://forscan.org/download.html

ELM327 (modified) : https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/USB_Modified_with_switch_ELM327/p4541936_17045457.aspx

Hi

thanks for that, have emailed tunnelrat and they are now suggesting the vlinker as the ELM327 sometimes throws up errors and the vlinker is more stable and reliable, but that is more than double the price so if I go down the route it will be the ELM327.

But, I have found something else here and they are saying there is actual differences in the screens and fitting an AA6T-18B955 BL screen then brings up the required USB setting, as if the screen has a different firmware or something. My screen(having just taken it out to look is a 8A6T-18B955-BJ from 10/3/09 so an early version of the unit.

Where the ones they have suggested I see are from the back end of 09 and later.

I might go the route of the screen first and see how that goes. There is one on eBay that is from 24/03/11 so I'm going to take a punt on that before the ELM

It's a ***** minefiled. Glad I wasn't bothered about the full upgrade to the GPS unit, lol.

I have the modified ELM cable and have had NO issues with

• Like 1

The vLinker FS cable is a better cable BUT, it is out of stock with most suppliers, and those who still have a few left are charging £50 plus.

I have both cables and find that with the exception of 2021/2022 vehicles the ELM327 works without bringing up any warnings.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jimpster said:

I have the modified ELM cable and have had NO issues with

Still tempted but am going to see if this screen makes a difference. 

If not then I might make the jump to one. 

2 hours ago, unofix said:

The vLinker FS cable is a better cable BUT, it is out of stock with most suppliers, and those who still have a few left are charging £50 plus.

I have both cables and find that with the exception of 2021/2022 vehicles the ELM327 works without bringing up any warnings.

I wouldn't even contemplate, for myself getting a vlinker as it would be dead money just for what could be one little job.

£20 for an ELM isn't so bad but I'd pay someone that much to do the job and activate it.

• Like 1

sadly i'm nowhere near or i'd do it for free

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimpster said:

sadly i'm nowhere near or i'd do it for free

Prob over a 2hr or more run from where I am, used to see someone nr bolton, made the trek over every week.

Bet she aint got an ELM...

someone local to you may appear, and offer, i have FORscan and ELMconfig, i like playing haha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimpster said:

someone local to you may appear, and offer, i have FORscan and ELMconfig, i like playing haha

Would be nice if there was.

Just don't want to buy something that I know I wouldn't use again. Or use it once and lose everything and brick the car. lol

theres plenty on here to walk you thru, and at 90% of routes it asks if you really want to do that LOL. Once you have it and know what your doing you can offer the service to others

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nihthrafn said:

Or use it once and lose everything and brick the car. lol

That's extremely unlikely if you're only working on the Audio module.  At worst you won't be able to play tunes for a short while... :biggrin: 

You can't really get Forscan wrong anyway.  It'll be worth it in future if the car breaks down as well, save you £60 on Fords diagnostic charge.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

That's extremely unlikely if you're only working on the Audio module.  At worst you won't be able to play tunes for a short while... :biggrin: 

You can't really get Forscan wrong anyway.  It'll be worth it in future if the car breaks down as well, save you £60 on Fords diagnostic charge.

Ohh you underestimate my ability to screw things upLOL

I guess it could be. Had a c5 years ago that always would have intermittent lights that would pop up for a day or so and then go off. Not enough to take it in but would have been interesting to see what was being a *****.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club