Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Anyone know an App that will trigger a reminder when you set a specific GPS location?

StephenFord
聽Share

I have a few errands which are absolutely not urgent, so not worth a specific visit. However, it would be really useful if I could make a note in my phone that would trigger a reminder if I was 'in the area'. I was near one yesterday, but totally forgot the errand LOL Does such a thing exist? If not, I'd be willing to take 20% of the profits should someone want to develop one 馃ぃ

• Like 1

Blimey, you're really getting into this modern technology lately! :laugh:

I just write things on my to do list until they get done...which is great until I forget to look at the list. :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is one of the things I really miss from Windows Phone - the location-based reminders always worked very well.

One of the assistant apps (Alexa, Google, etc.) can do location-based reminders, although I read somewhere that Google might be removing that from their assistant in the near future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I have a few errands which are absolutely not urgent, so not worth a specific visit. However, it would be really useful if I could make a note in my phone that would trigger a reminder if I was 'in the area'.

Now then, that sounds like a useful idea. I could make use of that, I often get back from somewhere and then think 'why didn't I also remember to do ......'

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Blimey, you're really getting into this modern technology lately! :laugh:

I just write things on my to do list until they get done...which is great until I forget to look at the list. :laughing:

Doesn't work for me due to poor memory! Yes, I have them noted on my phone, and can look at them when I get back home, but never think to refer to it when I'm out LOL

5 minutes ago, erictcleric said:

This is one of the things I really miss from Windows Phone - the location-based reminders always worked very well.

One of the assistant apps (Alexa, Google, etc.) can do location-based reminders, although I read somewhere that Google might be removing that from their assistant in the near future.

Now that sounds exactly what I'm after, I'll have a 'google'!

• Like 2

Well, I just set up a 'test' alarm for my local Boots to get a prescription, if I haven't got it by the end of the week, I'll know it didn't work! LOL Google Assistant opened something called 'google keep', and I had to allow phone to give it a few 'permissions'...

• Like 2

Keep us posted Stephen, if it works then I will give it a go.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

I use Google Keep. It's available in the Play store and very simple to use.聽

Quick video here... https://1drv.ms/v/s!At_ejhZgd5Urgr1wfq_MZegiOZpX8A

Was just about to download that app, when my phone offered to 'open' it, unbeknown to me, my phone had already got it installed LOL Yep, this new tech stuff still bemuses me 馃槀

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Was just about to download that app, when my phone offered to 'open' it, unbeknown to me, my phone had already got it installed LOL Yep, this new tech stuff still bemuses me 馃槀

It's a handy little thing for tasks that can wait until you are already at a location. I used to use NFC tags at work, when I got to my desk I would scan the tag that was stuck to my desk and it the phone would change to silent and stay unlocked and a few other things. Then at the end of the shift you scan it again and it reverted back to how it was. Now you can do all that with geofencing technology.聽

11 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

It's a handy little thing for tasks that can wait until you are already at a location. I used to use NFC tags at work, when I got to my desk I would scan the tag that was stuck to my desk and it the phone would change to silent and stay unlocked and a few other things. Then at the end of the shift you scan it again and it reverted back to how it was. Now you can do all that with geofencing technology.聽

馃ぃ

rachel-green-jennifer-anniston.gif

• Haha 4

Translation: I did things with stuff, but now there's different stuff I can do things with.

NFC tags can be quite handy for automating phone functions. It uses the same technology as the tap-to-pay terminals, but you can program the tags using an app to do things on the phone - like put the phone into silent mode, connect to a specific Wi-Fi network, or bluetooth device.聽

7 minutes ago, erictcleric said:

NFC tags can be quite handy for automating phone functions.

Aahhh... like a 'macro' in PowerPoint - now, why didn't you say that LOL 馃槀

I have NFC turned off, i dont trust it, thats the thing you pay for shopping by tapping your phone instead of your card. I tend to use my calendar for reminders will have a look at playstore keep. Cheers it'll help with the dementia LOL

43 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

like a 'macro' in PowerPoint

Very similar, although because some phone functions are protected by the operating system there's usually less scope for breaking things. Unlike when someone in management finds you can do macros in PowerPoint.

• Haha 1

Am pleased to report back a 100% success!! Was in Asda this morning when my phone got a notification. Reminding me to pop into Boots which is round the corner. Fortuitous as though I entered the 'alarm' just as a test, I actually did need to pick up a prescription which I had totally forgotten.

I'm really chuffed I now have a mechanism to overcome my increasing memory issues!

• Like 5

errrr what was this thread about ????????

18 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

errrr what was this thread about ????????

See title LOL 馃ぃ