Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta TCDI 2016 DPF Regeneration.

Meekin

So I have a Diesel 2016 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TCDI zetec  and I took it into the garage, and they said it had a dpf fault. 

I went to take it for a motorway drive to get the regeneration to kick in. 

Yesterday, I did about an hours drive at 70mph @ 2,200rpm and another hours drive back at just above 60mph @ about 3,200rpm. 
The warning light wasn’t on at this point because it had been reset but I wanted to try get a regen going anyway. 

Today the light has come back on.

I’m going to take it back out for another drive.

Is there anything specific I need to do? I read in the book between 1,500rpm and 3,000rpm but this didn’t work.

I keep reading the figures 40-60mph on various sites and I was wondering if it specifically needs to be within these speeds and 1,500rpm - 3,000rpm at the same time? 

It’s still at the stage it can be cleared because my rpm isn’t limited to 3,000rpm like it has done previously. 

There isn't a sure fire way of triggering a regen unfortunately.  Too many variables.

The best chance you've got is really loading it up and holding 3rd joining the motorway to get the maximum differential pressure measurement across the DPF...as long as the engine is warm by that point and you've got a few gallons of fuel.

Once a regen has kicked in, you don't need to keep the revs up to keep the temperature up, but it does help to blow it right through.  Main thing is to keep the revs fairly steady at 2000rpm or whatever, it's no good if you're having to slow for traffic lights and roundabouts every few minutes.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

There isn't a sure fire way of triggering a regen unfortunately.  Too many variables.

The best chance you've got is really loading it up and holding 3rd joining the motorway to get the maximum differential pressure measurement across the DPF...as long as the engine is warm by that point and you've got a few gallons of fuel.

Once a regen has kicked in, you don't need to keep the revs up to keep the temperature up, but it does help to blow it right through.  Main thing is to keep the revs fairly steady at 2000rpm or whatever, it's no good if you're having to slow for traffic lights and roundabouts every few minutes.

Thank you for the feedback. 

so you think it could just be a case of it didn’t do because there wasn’t anything in particular drawing it to? Like it would come on every so often and this just didn’t happen to be the time? 

I’ll be trying to go 2,000rpm for motorway driving and it should be constant. 

Any idea how I can tell if the regen has kicked in? I know the rpm should go up but idk by how much 

Yeah, regen's don't happen every time you drive on the motorway. 

The ECU needs to see a certain level of soot build up (estimated using the pressure differential) but there are also other factors as well.

The engine note changes when a regen is in progress, more gruff and growly.  The MPG drops a bit on the instant readout.  The radiator fan runs at full speed (but won't be heard over road noise on the motorway).  You can also smell it if you stop or reverse.  Some people seem to notice these things more than others.

• Thanks 1

Just now, TomsFocus said:

Yeah, regen's don't happen every time you drive on the motorway. 

The ECU needs to see a certain level of soot build up (estimated using the pressure differential) but there are also other factors as well.

The engine note changes when a regen is in progress, more gruff and growly.  The MPG drops a bit on the instant readout.  The radiator fan runs at full speed (but won't be heard over road noise on the motorway).  You can also smell it if you stop or reverse.  Some people seem to notice these things more than others.

I’ll make sure to keep my mpg on while I’m driving. 

Thank you for the reassurance, been very stressed over the possibility of another £300 clean out haha 

If you use forscan I think you can force it to do a regen and also it tells you how many miles since last regen happened

I think they removed forced regen in 2016 and later from what I’ve read

Oh ok.  I have 2015 1.5tdci and have never had a problem yet so not needed to try out ways to make it regen. Fingers crossed. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club