Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to open boot manually on 2008 Focus wagon?

BillDz

Hello,

Is there a way to open the boot without using the remote? I do not see a place to insert the key. Tried sliding the logo, as is done in front, but it does not appear to move. It is not opening reliably with the remote key fob so I need to find an alternative.

Thanks for any info,

Bill

20220706_211604.jpg

What's wrong with just pressing the button on the handle? 

2 hours ago, unofix said:

What's wrong with just pressing the button on the handle? 

It is supposed to open by pressing the button on the handle, even if the button on the key fob is not pressed? That does not work in my car, unless pressing the button on the key fob unlocks it. And the key fob is only working intermittently. I fear it will soon stop working completely. I put in a new battery but that did not help.

If you unlock the car by turning the key in the drivers door lock, does that unlock the boot so you can open it using the button on the boot handle. I know that does not fix the buttons on the remote but if it does work that way you still have access to the boot when remote fails

9 hours ago, BillDz said:

I do not see a place to insert the key

From the Mk2 onwards there is no mechanical means to release the boot latch. It relies entirely on electrical release either from the boot button or the keyfob. A big mistake IMO.

• Like 1

I agree.  But if you have a key hole lock, use it now and then. It’s not unknown for the key lock to be stuck with corrosion as no one has tried turning a key in it for years and then when it’s needed, it’s stuck

when i did my tailgate, like a fool i only connecteted the latch and not the handle release, boot locked haha. Ive to climb in the boot and remove the grab rail to wire it up so it will open, luckily i'd not put any of the trim panels back.

@unofix @StephenFord @isetta @mjt @Jimpster Thank you for the replies.

On further investigation, it appears that the electrical components are working as they should. There just seems to be an alignment problem. If I push down with some force on the boot door, it opens by pressing the button on the handle, if the doors are unlocked or if the unlock button on the key fob is pressed. Is there any DIY way of realigning so that pressing down will not be necessary?

Also, the manual says there is a glow-in-the-dark emergency boot release, in case a child gets trapped inside. I do not see anything like that, should it be there? If yes, where exactly?

Thank you,

Bill

• Like 1

the latch and hook are both adjustable, removal of the plastics is needed. The tailgate bit has 2 screws i  the handle holes then it just pulls away. THe Hook has plastoc rivet type fixings. dont drench the latch in oil or cleaner.

• Like 1

I have seen boots with glow in the dark emergency release in them on hire cars I have had in USA.  I wouldn’t think an estate car (wagon) would have it, probably just saloon / sedan

• Like 1

That could be more dangerous in some circumstances!! :unsure: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Before you go adjusting anything check to make sure the boot floor carpet is correctly positioned as this can cause similar problems.

Perhaps this is why some cars have luminous internal boot release 

7C207A69-9C7A-46B8-9A8E-2C9CCC3F7A95.png

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll leave it alone for now, it's not too much trouble to press down to open. Next time I bring in the car for service I'll ask them to check it.