Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rusting Arches

ford focus edge

Hi guys, just a topic to see how many fellow foci owners are plagued with bloodey rusting rear arches on there focus's my passenger side went a few months ago and now the drivers side had REALLY flared up going to have to get the sander out i think :( .

Do they rust because ford are prats and fitted carpet rear arch lining's rather than conventional plastic or is the paint just poo lol

Mike

Hi guys, just a topic to see how many fellow foci owners are plagued with bloodey rusting rear arches on there focus's my passenger side went a few months ago and now the drivers side had REALLY flared up going to have to get the sander out i think :( .

Do they rust because ford are prats and fitted carpet rear arch lining's rather than conventional plastic or is the paint just poo lol

Mike

How old is it, is it a Mk 1 ...any pics

How old is it, is it a Mk 1 ...any pics

I dont have any pics of the rust its chucking it down atm il have to get out there soon and take a few, its a mk1 yeah 2004 04plate

Mike

I dont have any pics of the rust its chucking it down atm il have to get out there soon and take a few, its a mk1 yeah 2004 04plate

Mike

the problem is the carpet if you look at it it sits right on the inner arch lip so when its wet it just sits and rusts best thing to do is this remove the rear wheel obviously jack it up lol now remove the clips holding the carpet liner to the arch theres 5 i think from memory they simply twist and pull off remove the carpet and clear out all the crud youll find up the back of the lip now paint the front of the arch or wherever the rust is mind and use sume kurust first.

the kurust will kill any rust left and make the area solid paint the arch and leave to dry as you would when thats done get brush on waxoyl and underseal or dinitrol and brush the inside of the arch the whole area top to bottom especially the lip and leave it to dry for a few hours .

take the carpet and on the inside of it the upper part you cant see paint the waxoyl underseal on this as well it will create a barrier preventing the water from penetrating right through

Mike

Our T reg Mk1 1.8 Zetec, developed a rust bubble at the top of the offside wheel arch in 2007. And what I have heard on the forums, I reckon it's just the usual Ford "designed with rust in mind" build philosophy

to be honest i was just going to clean the crap out as good as possible (they get blasted with the hose and i stick my hand up every time it gets washed) sand the rust off and respray. I dont plan on keeping the car forever and a day and if more rust starts appearing on the bootlid and doors etc itl be getting sold very quickley! lol

to be honest i was just going to clean the crap out as good as possible (they get blasted with the hose and i stick my hand up every time it gets washed) sand the rust off and respray. I dont plan on keeping the car forever and a day and if more rust starts appearing on the bootlid and doors etc itl be getting sold very quickley! lol

on a 2004 that's disgusting, mind you look at this on a 55 plate Mk2

VF010.jpg

close up

chips.jpg

how does rust turn up on the top of the frame of the boot opening

just below and in line with the third brake light that sits on the actual boot lid!

remember it's not on the intenals of the boot lid, but the bulkhead of the car.

VF010.jpg

close up

chips.jpg

just below and in line with the third brake light that sits on the actual boot lid!

Ok u win this round thats BAD the only thing i worry about with my focus is rust, when one pannel goes the rest soon follow so if i were u catch id sort that asap lol i didnt think the mk2 would be bad for rust, mk3 mondeo's dont rust also the mk6 fiesta's dont seem TO bad for it but the mk1 focus and mk2 mondeo etc are terrible for it :(

Mike

Ok u win this round thats BAD the only thing i worry about with my focus is rust, when one pannel goes the rest soon follow so if i were u catch id sort that asap lol i didnt think the mk2 would be bad for rust, mk3 mondeo's dont rust also the mk6 fiesta's dont seem TO bad for it but the mk1 focus and mk2 mondeo etc are terrible for it :(

Mike

I've already sorted it out, did it when I sorted out the sills and lower sections of the front wheel arches, prior to fitting front mudflaps. known rust problem

We had a Mondeo 1.8 GLX, M reg if my memory serves me right. Had it 10 years [bought from a Polar Ford at a year old] Searched long and hard for the GLX as the LX [masses of them about] did not have ABS.Actually it was not for sale as the sales manager was using it, but I twisted their arm. Anyway at eleven years old the original clutch went, but as the door skins were parting company with the bottoms of the door frames I just scrapped it. That's how I ended up buying our first Focus T reg back in 2005.

my mums 97-R reg mondey had major rear arch rust that only took a day to sort out just sanded it down little bit of filler and a good spraying session and all is well.

Tonic blue is an absoutle sod to try blend back in though i sprayed my side protectors and that up and they still look slightly off then again they always will but you no what im trying to get at.

Ford make good cars why cant they stop a known problem with something so simple as rust its not like were driving them in the ocean and washing them with brake fluid!!!

my mums 97-R reg mondey had major rear arch rust that only took a day to sort out just sanded it down little bit of filler and a good spraying session and all is well.

Tonic blue is an absoutle sod to try blend back in though i sprayed my side protectors and that up and they still look slightly off then again they always will but you no what im trying to get at.

Ford make good cars why cant they stop a known problem with something so simple as rust its not like were driving them in the ocean and washing them with brake fluid!!!

ford can argue till hell freezes over they are not galvanised my old mk1 punto was galvanised and i never had a spot not even a blemish of rust the fords paint is way too thin as well which doesnt help apart from a tiny bit on a door which was done under warranty from the garage i got the car from i have none even had the wing mirrors off and had a look behind there but all is well seems the newer these fords get the worse they get.

the new ka is plagued with issues from leaks to engine issues the newer focus has more issues than the original mk1 had and is less reliable

the mk4 astra was galvanised and had a 10yr paint gurantee on and my cus's crippled battered and abused gold coupe on an 02 plate it still gleaming and rust free where as my polished and preened 04 plate focus is dying from the inside out haha good times!

When i worked at ford sooo many mk2 focus's were sent back due to paint issues one came in from the factory and no jokes u cud peel the paint of like skin and some wernt even smooth felt like sand paper. To be honest its bloodey shocking that one of the biggest manafactures in the world cant get something as petty as the paint sorted out next time jokes aside i really think il try a vauxhall just to see if the griffin is any good if not then il be back to the blue oval once more.

As for fixing the back arch il have to wait until ive finished decorating (really really loving that i can tell you) if the pannel falls of in the mean time il jump n cheer in joy

Mike

the mk4 astra was galvanised and had a 10yr paint gurantee on and my cus's crippled battered and abused gold coupe on an 02 plate it still gleaming and rust free where as my polished and preened 04 plate focus is dying from the inside out haha good times!

When i worked at ford sooo many mk2 focus's were sent back due to paint issues one came in from the factory and no jokes u cud peel the paint of like skin and some wernt even smooth felt like sand paper. To be honest its bloodey shocking that one of the biggest manafactures in the world cant get something as petty as the paint sorted out next time jokes aside i really think il try a vauxhall just to see if the griffin is any good if not then il be back to the blue oval once more.

As for fixing the back arch il have to wait until ive finished decorating (really really loving that i can tell you) if the pannel falls of in the mean time il jump n cheer in joy

Mike

vauxhalls are junk really bad had an astra and it cant corner for toffee my mate is a backstreet mech and i wouldnt touch a vauxhall hes currently replacing a whole rear quarter panel due to the rust, started at the arch and theres a hole in the arch you can put youre hand through on top of that the sills go and the underside usually needs welded at some point.

said it before but if you want a car thats reliable and dont rust and a good car look at hyundai and nissan they may not have the street cred but they are brill cars and super reliable unlike ford when there is an issue you they do theyre utmost to help you vw and vauxhall from experience massive no no

vauxhalls are junk really bad had an astra and it cant corner for toffee my mate is a backstreet mech and i wouldnt touch a vauxhall hes currently replacing a whole rear quarter panel due to the rust, started at the arch and theres a hole in the arch you can put youre hand through on top of that the sills go and the underside usually needs welded at some point.

said it before but if you want a car thats reliable and dont rust and a good car look at hyundai and nissan they may not have the street cred but they are brill cars and super reliable unlike ford when there is an issue you they do theyre utmost to help you vw and vauxhall from experience massive no no

What about the toyota corolla t-sport the proper 1.8super charged one not the ponsey old man versions, the hyundai coupe is nice but just to slow lol unless i opt for the v6 and fork out a fortune in fuel bills and insurance the astra coupe was the best all round bet for a person like me ie drives like an !Removed! and gets screwed by the insurance for being young because there alright price to buy and insurance isnt to bad. Chances are il end up with another focus. On the nissan front theres only 4 i like, the 370z, gtr, navara, pulsar gti-r none of which i can ever afford lol.

Il do the arch and if anything else goes THEN il sell it hand on heart decided!

What about the toyota corolla t-sport the proper 1.8super charged one not the ponsey old man versions, the hyundai coupe is nice but just to slow lol unless i opt for the v6 and fork out a fortune in fuel bills and insurance the astra coupe was the best all round bet for a person like me ie drives like an !Removed! and gets screwed by the insurance for being young because there alright price to buy and insurance isnt to bad. Chances are il end up with another focus. On the nissan front theres only 4 i like, the 370z, gtr, navara, pulsar gti-r none of which i can ever afford lol.

Il do the arch and if anything else goes THEN il sell it hand on heart decided!

ide go for reliability rather than performance pulsar is junk truly bad car and not one of nissans best bets its fast but it eats head gaskets the corolla is nice but finding an unmolested one will be like finding a virgin in a brothel the hyundai isnt fast but a cracker none the less im past the speed thing i look for reliability and dependability hence why i wouldnt have a bmw either if i could right now ide have the hyundai and i wouldnt care if it was slow well built good looking greta to drive

ide go for reliability rather than performance pulsar is junk truly bad car and not one of nissans best bets its fast but it eats head gaskets the corolla is nice but finding an unmolested one will be like finding a virgin in a brothel the hyundai isnt fast but a cracker none the less im past the speed thing i look for reliability and dependability hence why i wouldnt have a bmw either if i could right now ide have the hyundai and i wouldnt care if it was slow well built good looking greta to drive

i only want something fast so i can keep up with my mates thats about it nothing to tear my face off theres more good st170's about that the corolla there also cheaper than thn toybota so sack that one off lol my aunts got a 2002 330i m-sport toruing in black with the tan leather thats SUCH a nice car but its full of problems like a sticking throttle cable, mild rust poping up on the bonnet etc etc

Are there any companys that do paint protection and warrentys etc or can i get covers for the bad areas or do i just re-fit the mud flaps (going to do that last one anyway soon)

i only want something fast so i can keep up with my mates thats about it nothing to tear my face off theres more good st170's about that the corolla there also cheaper than thn toybota so sack that one off lol my aunts got a 2002 330i m-sport toruing in black with the tan leather thats SUCH a nice car but its full of problems like a sticking throttle cable, mild rust poping up on the bonnet etc etc

Are there any companys that do paint protection and warrentys etc or can i get covers for the bad areas or do i just re-fit the mud flaps (going to do that last one anyway soon)

the best you can do is fully underseal and waxoyl the car its messy and a horrid job to do but as far as protecting the car thats youre best bet really all cars will suffer rust somewhere the technology is there for the manufacturers tio prevent this but why would they it keeps them in business mines got 2 coats of waxoyl/underseal on it thats the whole underside the inside of the doors behind the cards and right up in all the arches and arch lips thats the best i can do ill still get a bit of rust pop up somewhere but what can you do

• 2 months later...

VF010.jpg

close up

chips.jpg

Jees a Mk2, has it been scratched (and covered with a wet carpet) - im p'd off at my Dec 1995 mk4 fezza for being a 'Rusty Horrorshow', you must be livid. What about the perforation warranty or is it as much of a joke as their underseal (which serves as proof that Germans - especially designers at Ford-Werke Koln - have got a sense of humour.).

Jees a Mk2, has it been scratched (and covered with a wet carpet) - im p'd off at my Dec 1995 mk4 fezza for being a 'Rusty Horrorshow', you must be livid. What about the perforation warranty or is it as much of a joke as their underseal (which serves as proof that Germans - especially designers at Ford-Werke Koln - have got a sense of humour.).

Perforation warranty! well for a start I've never on buying second hand cars seen a service book with a paintwork inspection stamp in it. Possibly because there is a charge for that inspection, and new private buyers or lease company buyers think sod the expense of that. As it will not be our problem as it will be moved on before those possible issues arise. So when you buy second hand say 4 years old your... up sheet creek without a paddle....so to speak. Besides in that photographed instance, it ain't perforated as in eating through the skin of the car from the underside, but attempting to do it the other way round :rolleyes:

At the end of the day there ford's, fords's are known for being just that little bit !Removed! with rust prevention the perforation warranty means nothing because no one can be arsed with it when they buy the car new which i think is stupid then again if you ever go onto the ford site or into the dealer and enquire about it the terms and conditions are bloodey shocking you cant !Removed! on the car with out voiding it - as you can tell i love ford warranty's.