Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dpf Is Knackered

hawker

Oh well, it turns out my "Engine Systems Fault" and limp mode experience has transpired into my worst nightmare, and Ford have indeed diagnosed it to be a blocked DPF (as I already knew beforehand having read the code myself).

Now surprising as it may seem, I find £1500 to fit a new one a touch on the extortionate side! Daylight robbery more like.

My questions/options now are:

1. I've been told by a trustworthy mechanic friend of mine (ex Pug mechanic) that many places just pull out the DPF and give it a steam clean/pressure washer blast. Anyone here every tried this

2. A local independent has told me they can possibly get a DPF for around the £350 mark.

If I go for either of the above, will the "Engine Systems Fault" error message automatically go away once a clean/new filter is in place, and will it automatically go out of limp home mode? Or will I still need to take it back to Ford once fitted for them to do this?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• catch

• hawker

• UKTamo

• dyoungone

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

never heard of the steam cleaning method before

The after market items seem ok...i have recently supplied one to a customer as for the code...you will prob find the fluid will need refilling and it is a 'hard' stored code which needs a dealer to clear

Oh well, it turns out my "Engine Systems Fault" and limp mode experience has transpired into my worst nightmare, and Ford have indeed diagnosed it to be a blocked DPF (as I already knew beforehand having read the code myself).

Now surprising as it may seem, I find £1500 to fit a new one a touch on the extortionate side! Daylight robbery more like.

My questions/options now are:

1. I've been told by a trustworthy mechanic friend of mine (ex Pug mechanic) that many places just pull out the DPF and give it a steam clean/pressure washer blast. Anyone here every tried this

2. A local independent has told me they can possibly get a DPF for around the £350 mark.

If I go for either of the above, will the "Engine Systems Fault" error message automatically go away once a clean/new filter is in place, and will it automatically go out of limp home mode? Or will I still need to take it back to Ford once fitted for them to do this?

You cannot really complain as the DPF has done well over 100K if my memory serves me right [what's your clock say] On the Ford maintenance schedule it's due for changing @ 75K. Prices don't seem bad going by this LINK Get one bought, with a Eloy's top up and reset, that will be the motor sorted wont it, as I believe you have already had the clutch and timing belt done. As your only other option is to not have it done and to try and shift it on via a dealer, and they will just mark the valuation way down.

Just out of interest where did you read the fault code, was it using a code reader, if so which one was it you used?

I went to Fords about a month or so back for a Eolys fluid top-up and computer reset, as I wasnt 100% sure that this had been done before, so I did it just in case in an attempt to prolong the DPF. Well that didnt work very well!

So as far as this level is concerned, the computer should be happy, its just the red LED and "engine systems fault" on the LCD that I'm worried about. My gut feeling is that it wont correct itself once the cleaned/new filter is on and it will have to be yet another visit to Ford.

catch:

Its just coming up to 100K. Looking at some of the service history, it had a similar fault on 71000 miles and it was taken back to Fords, and all they did was a DPF regeneration, and did not fit new.

My £25 eBay OBDII (U480 if i remember correctly) recognized the yellow management light being there, but wouldnt return a code. It could reset the EM light, but not red LED and "engine systems fault" on the LCD display. My mate at a garage plugged his £3000 computer in and it got the fault code (P0242F) but like mine, could only clear the engine management light and could not get it out of limp home mode.

I've had enough of this car now to be honest catch. Its been a horror story. I've already forked out over £1200 on repairs on it since November, and now I'm staring down the barrel of a possible £1500 bill on top. All for a car that is now only currently worth around £4000 max! I'm putting in a dispute with the CarShop to formally reject the car and see what happens.

never heard of the steam cleaning method before

The after market items seem ok...i have recently supplied one to a customer as for the code...you will prob find the fluid will need refilling and it is a 'hard' stored code which needs a dealer to clear

You should have a live link to your "parts catalogue" on your posts.

Thanks for that link catch.

I wasnt even aware that it had a cat. I thought the DPF was this diesel's version of a cat. You live and learn

I'm not sure if I would need the DPF only or DPF+Cat?

I went to Fords about a month or so back for a Eolys fluid top-up and computer reset, as I wasnt 100% sure that this had been done before, so I did it just in case in an attempt to prolong the DPF. Well that didnt work very well!

So as far as this level is concerned, the computer should be happy, its just the red LED and "engine systems fault" on the LCD that I'm worried about. My gut feeling is that it wont correct itself once the cleaned/new filter is on and it will have to be yet another visit to Ford.

catch:

My £25 ebay OBDII (U431 if i remember correctly) recognized the yellow management light being there, but wouldnt return a code. It could reset the EM light, but not red LED and "engine systems fault" on the LCD display. My mate at a garage plugged is £3000 computer in and it got the fault code (P0242F) but like mine, could only clear the engine management light.

I've had enough of this car now to be honest catch. Its been a horror story. I've already forked out over £1200 on repairs on it since November, and now I'm staring down the barrel of a possible £1500 bill on top. All for a car that is now only currently worth around £4000! I'm putting in a dispute with the CarShop to formally reject the car and see what happens.

Yes I can fully understand how your feeling right now. Lets hope you get some where with your complaint, you should get Trading Standards involved. If the company get a call from Trading Standards they usually sit up and listen.

Example;

Short story, Tuesday 29 June a guy tips up on my door step miss selling energy services. Said the company he represented had bought out my current energy provider, and he just need a form signing .....I said he was a crook and a conman....he suggested we go for a little walk...what a w@nker. I tell him to take his hook, which he eventually does. Prior to the Spain Portugal game, I Googled Trading Standards, ring number on website, which puts me through to Consumer Direct. They say as I have not signed anything, there is nothing to sort out. I say HELLO, the guy tried to gain entry to my house using deception, to fraudulently solicit a signature from me. Then the penny dropped with the guy at Consumer Direct, he escalates it, I get two call backs from Trading Standards. They contact the energy provider, I phone the company Wednesday, Friday I get a letter from energy provider saying they are investigating. Following Monday, their Regional Manager [based an hour away] tips up on my door step for a statement [i said that's the way to get a signature :)] and apologises profusely saying it was not company practice to miss sell their services. I replied I realised that,otherwise I would have gone to the Media. Like I say Trading Standards makes em sit up

Back on topic, if you have had the Eloys reservoir refilled it will have had the reset done at the time [resetting the dosage clock] What you have is a blocked DPF code which may just need the Management Code clearing to extinguish the warning message after the DPF is replaced.

I say this because I had cause to disconnected the passenger air bag on my Volvo so I could take the dash in bits [another story] then switched the ignition on and drove the car. So I get a "go to dealer, airbag system fault" message. I thought if I reconnect the airbag the warning message should disappear. Not so I had to go to dealer for a code reset [two minute job via a hand held reader, hence no charge]

Thanks for that link catch.

I wasnt even aware that it had a cat. I thought the DPF was this diesel's version of a cat. You live and learn

I'm not sure if I would need the DPF only or DPF+Cat?

I have not got a clue, you should be able to get that info from the parts supplier by giving them your reg or vin number. And to double check, why not look at the one actually on your motor. I realise you have completely lost faith in the car. But its not personal between you and the car, its just that the car has been an ugly duckling due to the maintenance schedule not being followed. And the fitting of a new DPF will turn it into Swan.

Edit: :rolleyes:

Just realised by looking at the link again, the DPF and combined Cat is for the Focus 1.6

DPF is for the Focus 2.0 meaning on the 2.00 the Cat is a separate component.

I have just clicked the "buy" link and as part of the process you have to input your Reg so its a fool proof buying process.

Thanks for everything catch. That link could well prove to be a life saver for me mate.

Oddly enough I really like this car, even tho I've had so much trouble with it. Its only thrown up this fault now because I had a badly split intercooler hose replaced, so now the correct amount air is flowing through the system for the first time in a long while (probably since I bought it) which has now spewed out the problem with the DPF. I've always thought there was something not quite right when driving - seeming slightly sluggish on certain rev ranges etc, and I'm sure once this is sorted it will be pretty much spot on.

since i bought in Nov 2009, it I have had to do the following:

1. Replace disks due to very bad corrosion. Chunks were actually falling off! (pads renewed too as <2mm)

2. water leak in boot coming from tailgate light cluster

3. all door locks freezing in cold weather. Cannot close doors once opened

4. Clutch+DMF renewed due to failure

5. Alternator renewed due to failure

6. Pollen filter renewed. totally blocked - nothing coming through air vents

7. All injector seals replaced due to leak on engine

8. Replaced cambelt and aux belt due to rattle - faulty tensioner/pulley

9. Bottom cranckshaft pulley faulty so replaced

10. Eolys fluid renewed+computer level reset (the one thing I have done out of my own accord!!!)

11. Split intercooler pipe replaced

12. Engine systems fault due to blocked DPF.

All this in the space of 7 months! I think this is a typical Friday afternoon car!

I'm now considering buying a Mazda3 2.0 Sport. Shares a lot with the Focus I know, but like I said, I really like the Focus, but I think my diesel days are over!

Well spotted catch. Yes the DPF only is for the 2.0. I'll be ordering the DPF+Cat. I rang them and lead time is only 24 hours so this seems great. I'll wait and see what the CarShop come back to me with first before I buy....

Thanks for everything catch. That link could well prove to be a life saver for me mate.

No worries mate glad to be of assistance.

Well spotted catch. Yes the DPF only is for the 2.0.

Yes like you, I had a bit of a "cannot see the woods for the trees" moment there :D

I'll wait and see what the CarShop come back to me with first before I buy....

Good idea, hell they owe you big time. But I reckon you will have a fight on your hands.

I'd first put your case to Trading Standards see what they say before approaching CarShop. They [Trading Standards] may say, you having the work done before first approaching the selling company to see what they were prepared to do, may invalidate your case against them. I'm not saying that is the case, just put it to Trading Standards, they are on your side, its their job to see your not being done over. Jeez, having such a strong social outlook I'd just love a job where I got paid to bring Rogue Traders to book. Like I say get their opinion first, they could end up taking the case for you to the seller. It could save you solicitors fees fighting CarShop, if they know to ignore you is to invite the wrath of trading Standards down on their heads.

Anybody with a brain in their head can see [give your listed repairs] that the car in question was not fit for purpose.

Everything that has gone wrong on this car I have first reported back to the CarShop. points (1.) and (2.) were corrected by CarShop FOC under their 3 month warranty, point (4.) they contributed £150 towards, but all else they have washed their hands of and have been paid for by myself apart from (5.) which was the only thing so far that has been covered under the 2 year extended "warranty" that they pressure-sold to me on the day of purchase (the salesman even brought in a colleague into the room to badger+hound me into buying the useless &#33;Removed&#33; policy. after 2 hours stuck in a room with a car salesman i just wanted to go home!)

I'll wait and see what they say about the matter. I have requested my money back (£5500 + £550 "warranty", no chance I know, but worth a try) or even pay me what its worth now (approx £4000). At the very least it would be nice if they offered to replace the DPF in good faith for what I have been through. If they say they will contribute, then they would need to contribute a minimum of £1200 to get it done through Fords, anything less then I'll just get it done myself, as it should cost the following:

DPF+Cat+Delivery (£250)

Fitting (£50-100)

Possible computer reset at Fords to wipe out Engine System Fault+Red LED+Limp mode (£40)

So in theory doing it myself will cost me anywhere between £300 and £390.

Quite a difference from £1500, but still a hell of a lot of money to be forking out on a car that I will most likely end up part-ex'ing imminently.

So The Car Shop is definitely one to avoid in the future folks

hawker they must have known the DPF should have been replaced at the 75K service. And as such should have had it done prior to selling it to you at what mileage ? Again not fit for purpose in my book. Considering the expense you have had putting that car in order on top of being stuffed with a two year warranty which has only covered the alternator. Threaten them with Trading Standards, and you going to the media with your tale of whoa, if they are not willing to have it done at their expense. I reckon they will rather opt for stumping up £300/350 to fix it trade, than all the hassle and bad publicity they will get if they don't. You want them thinking, jeez we need to get this guy off our backs any time soon.

So The Car Shop is definitely one to avoid in the future folks

Slightly off topic, but I bought my Focus from the Car Shop in Northampton and touch wood, I've had no trouble with it other than them not stamping the service schedule (although I did get a service certificate).

I bought it with 92000 miles on the clock, so in 7 months, under 8000 miles motoring has cost me £1200 in repair bills alone, with another £1500 potential bill looming (if i went to Fords). All on a car that is only now worth £4000 at best.

I'll have a word with them tomorrow to see what they have to say so far on the matter.

Sound advice as usual, thanks catch.

Hawker i know a few people that would have torched their car if they had had the half the trouble you had with yours. That list of faults is totally unacceptable. This DPF system on modern diesels is a disgrace and a scandalous way to get more money out of us car drivers. First they say it was global warming now they have changed their minds and called it climate change(which has been going on since the dawn of time).

I digress. Get the DPF sorted at a local garage and make sure they give you a guarantee with that.Hopefully HOPEFULLY that should be the end of your problems.

How do you know if the Eolys fluid needs topping up? Does a warning light come up on the dash? I dont know if my fluid was topped up at the 3 year service last November.

As far as I'm aware you will get a warning on the dash display/LED.

I only did mine to be safe as I wasnt 100% sure it was done previously

Well my ordeal just gets from bad to worse!

I rang buypartsby (catch's link) and they put in my Reg, and they said that the 1.6 is DPF+cat, and the part on the website was incorrect and they are not able to supply and suggested that all I can do is go back to Ford! (who charge £750+VAT)

I'm stuffed basically.

My only option now is to take off the DPF and attempt to clean it through.

God I wish I never bought this tub. Biggest car mistake I have ever made

:(

Edit: And after my telephone conversation with buypartsby, the DPF for the 1.6 has now been taken off their website.

Can anyone on here help me source a DPF+cat for a 2006 1.6 TDCi cheaply??

hawker try getting a price from this firm, it says you have to call for price. Or any Auto Parts supplier for that matter as they should all be able to source the part. I mean it's not from another planet is it, there will be a Chinese factory knocking them out by the thousand somewhere :rolleyes:

Have you contacted Trading Standards ? If not why not it costs you nothing. Look they sold you a car that should have had its DPF replace circa 75K. Did they make you aware that this had not been done and that the cost to do so is just shy of £900. And not covered by the 2 year warranty they stuffed you with. Plus all the other issues this car has had, it must been deemed not fit for purpose. Pick that &#33;Removed&#33; phone up, what is it going to cost you to get Trading Standards input into the fiasco, nothing, zero ....bugger all!!! brickwall.gif

My response from CarShop was totally unacceptable. Basically they just washed their hands of all responsibility for everything that has gone wrong. They even lied to me and stated that they contacted Ford and was told that the DPF lasts the lifetime of the vehicle, which I know for a fact is total bolox as its definitely renewed at 75K.

I have emailed Trading Standards and also a local ITV watchdog programme called "The Ferret" and have informed CarShop that I have done so. I have also obtained the email address of one of the CarShop's heads, and have informed him exactly of the current situation and of their inadequate responses thereto.

Catch, I did ring them, and they said that that they couldn't supply this and to get if from Fords themselves.

In the meantime, I will take the Ford Tub to my local garage and swap it for a can of WD40. :rolleyes: If they decline the offer, then I'll get them to take the DPF out and give it a clean through with a pressure/steam washer, and see if this fixes it. If not, and I get no joy from the other avenues, then I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy a new DPF+Cat, and probably have to end up keeping the car for a few years longer.

I have emailed Trading Standards and also a local ITV watchdog programme called "The Ferret" and have informed CarShop that I have done so. I have also obtained the email address of one of the CarShop's heads, and have informed him exactly of the current situation and of their inadequate responses thereto.

Right I take the head banging smiley back than :)

Stick in there mate, I know it's easy me saying that, but that's what you have to do. I once blocked the entrance to the Silver Cross Pram factory. Because they were ignoring me and my complaint, surprising how their attitude changed after ten minutes of nothing coming in and nothing going out of the factory gates.

Have you thought of getting some big signs made, short but to the point explaining your treatment at the hands of CarShop and parking outside their sales site. With the local press and TV station present even better. Even if the media are not initially interested, I'm sure a few Saturday/Sundays parked up outside their entrance will make your story news worthy. How about popping that into your email to the Management. Stating he can choose to be proactive regards your shoddy treatment by the company, or they can become reactive in regard to the media and trading standards enquries that must surely follow.

Anything's worth a try catch! :D

I'll wait and see what this CarShop big-gun has to say in his response and take it from there.

So Hawker what is the reason for you to have the cat renewed too? I thought you would only need the DPF renewed? I have same car as yours so i am keeping track on your story(nightmare)as it goes along. :o :huh: :huh:

Just a thought, but are there any companies that do a DPF delete kit for the Focus?

I know that there are people out there doing them in VAG circles, so I'm sure there must be a kit out there for the Focus.

So Hawker what is the reason for you to have the cat renewed too? I thought you would only need the DPF renewed? I have same car as yours so i am keeping track on your story(nightmare)as it goes along. :o :huh: :huh:

come on get with the program, if you had clicked the link provided to the component in question you would have seen in the case of the 1.6 engine it appears to be a Cat and DFP combined. Whereas with the 2.0 engine it is obvious you can purchase a DPF only component.......now don't doze of again :D

come on get with the program, if you had clicked the link provided to the component in question you would have seen in the case of the 1.6 engine it appears to be a Cat and DFP combined. Whereas with the 2.0 engine it is obvious you can purchase a DPF only component.......now don't doze of again :D

Why dont you try clicking your link again catch?

More "taking back" required?

:lol:

The 1.6 TDCi requires DPF+Cat combined.

Not sure about the 1.8, but the 2.0 TDCi is DPF only.

The best price I can get now for this DPF+Cat combined elsewhere is £350

Still, better than £750+VAT that Fords are asking, but still, one hell of an expensive filter!

I'm going to give the DPF a jetwash on Monday and see if this works. Not the perfect solution I know, but I'm hoping it will give it another few thousand miles, long enough for me to get shot of it.