Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk7 Fiesta Fan Running A Lot Anyone Else Got This

Mr Kipling

Hi,

Just picked up my MK 7 1.4 Zetec yesterday, I noticed that the fan runs a lot even when not stuck in traffic, OK it's hot but I've never had this on previous cars.

The 1.25 Style + I had to test drive was the same, is it a charecteristic of the Mk7 and if so why?

Also in the menu for the audio etc I note that you can opt for the instruments to light up when you drive through a tunnel, this suggests that the equipment is in place for the auto lights, is there a way to retro fit these easily as it would appear the sensors are set up.

thanks - Kipling.

Hi,

Just picked up my MK 7 1.4 Zetec yesterday, I noticed that the fan runs a lot even when not stuck in traffic, OK it's hot but I've never had this on previous cars.

The 1.25 Style + I had to test drive was the same, is it a charecteristic of the Mk7 and if so why?

Also in the menu for the audio etc I note that you can opt for the instruments to light up when you drive through a tunnel, this suggests that the equipment is in place for the auto lights, is there a way to retro fit these easily as it would appear the sensors are set up.

thanks - Kipling.

If you are sweltering, like my daughter does in Bristol, I expect you are running the A/C regularly. That system has to dump the heat via a radiator right up the front, and it needs its own cooling fan, to condense the refridgerant. To minimize the hard use of the fan, close the windows, and select "recirc", so you are not trying to chill outside air coming in via the usual fresh air input you would prefer in cooler seasons, and only valve on the heat dial when not using the A/C.

It could also be the internal design of the MK7 too as the radiator is positioned behind the front sub frame which as you can see in the pictures is blocking half of the radiator wouldn’t have been as bad had Ford positioned the cross beam at a 45 degree angle which would force the air that’s hitting it downwards aiding the cooling more,Ford could also have put bigger holes in front support bar,doing a DIY job on it would probably void warrenty and jeopardise safety, I’ve never seen a radiator mounted behind such a large sub frame before although the plus side is theirs less chance of getting your radiator bust, if hit from the front and also the handling is improved due to the radiator being closer to the front axle reducing under steer got these pictures off e-bay some guy has broken down a full brand new 1.6TDI MK7 Fiesta Crazy :o

BS-CEw2kKGrHqQOKnUEvyFrmUBMM3e5Rjg_.jpg

BS-HGwBWkKGrHqQOKnMEvyFryqulBMM3fGh.jpg

if its running at least its doing its job, i would be more worried if it wasnt coming on when i was sat it traffic.

how do you notice the fan when your not stuck in traffic though

Interesting comment about the sub-frame.

The thing I nave noticed is on the Fiesta, the fan does seem to run constantly when the air-con is switched on, whereas on a Volvo S40 I used to have, the fan more or less cycled on and off in conjunction with the compressor clutching in and out.

Stewart.

RE the original question about auto light sensor etc.

That option just means that the display will automatically dim when you switch headlights on.

Whilst the software is probably already in place for auto lights the sensor is not - to fit the combined light/moisture sensor means fitting a new windscreen as well as you will need the "sensor window" on the screen to fit the sensor.

Hi,

thanks - Kipling.

Hi,

My first post.

I have had alot of trouble with the engine fan coming on.It started within a few months of ownership (March 09) just thought new car running in tight engine.Then this winter it started coming on in traffic,told dealer "don't worry it maybe the sensor we will check at first service".This March first service they couldn't find a problem although Car Fan still turning on even when Engine switched off.

Well about 2 weeks ago started Car up Fan comes on................arrived at work 10 minute journey Fan keeps running it will turn off itself off anyway won't it.Returns to Car battery totally flat had to use jump leads.... guess what came on before engine starts up.......The bl**dy Fan.Reported it to Dealer,Ford have now admitted there is a problem with temperature sensor.2 upgrades required from the Ford laptop the first upgrade is stopping a buzzing sound coming from dashboard,clocks speedo area where the sensor is.But regarding the Engine Fan no upgrade has been found yet.

My Car still has Fan coming on but not to the severe cases as mentioned above,i just wonder when the second upgrade will be available.

Regards,

Claret

A very informative first post too, Claret and welcome! :)

Mr Kipling, as your car is new, I'd pester the dealer. It does seem that it could be a sensor problem though I imagine this recent hot weather hasn't helped.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

My first post.

I have had alot of trouble with the engine fan coming on.It started within a few months of ownership (March 09) just thought new car running in tight engine.Then this winter it started coming on in traffic,told dealer "don't worry it maybe the sensor we will check at first service".This March first service they couldn't find a problem although Car Fan still turning on even when Engine switched off.

Well about 2 weeks ago started Car up Fan comes on................arrived at work 10 minute journey Fan keeps running it will turn off itself off anyway won't it.Returns to Car Battery totally flat had to use jump leads.... guess what came on before engine starts up.......The bl**dy Fan.Reported it to Dealer,Ford have now admitted there is a problem with temperature sensor.2 upgrades required from the Ford laptop the first upgrade is stopping a buzzing sound coming from dashboard,clocks speedo area where the sensor is.But regarding the Engine Fan no upgrade has been found yet.

My Car still has Fan coming on but not to the severe cases as mentioned above,i just wonder when the second upgrade will be available.

Regards,

Claret

Did you ever get anywhere with the fan problem on your fiesta? I have an 10 plate fiesta 1.6 econetic and today after a 15minute journey i switched the engine off, the fan kicked in and it sounded like a street sweeper scared the s*^t out of me lol stayed on a long time too

Is this a problem which will happen alot?

Thanks

I drive quite gently - 3 miles home from work (10 mins)

I would say the fan comes on about 30% of the time.... it does seem excessive.

But, just like the interior air flow, you need the fan going to get anything through the system.

I guess it is just too aerodynamic.

• 3 months later...

I now have a wee update to this story. As I indicated earlier, my cooling fan seemed to be on all the time when the air-con was on and I wasn't the only one who noted that.

Just before Christmas my fan motor burned out. Long story, but it tried to start when there was a big chunk of frozen snow round it. Was strange that the motor burned out before the fuse blew. Anyway, the dealer replaced the fan assembly under warranty without me even having to ask. As I was prepared to write it off as a freak of weather that was a pleasant surprise.

Anyway, the point of this post is to say that the new fan is more or less cycling on and off in time with the compressor clutching in and out, the way my Volvo S40 did it.

Makes me wonder if there has perhaps been a known problem or two with the fan which they were trying to keep quiet about.

Stewart.

Did you ever get anywhere with the fan problem on your fiesta? I have an 10 plate fiesta 1.6 econetic and today after a 15minute journey i switched the engine off, the fan kicked in and it sounded like a street sweeper scared the s*^t out of me lol stayed on a long time too

Is this a problem which will happen alot?

Thanks

I usually only do 10 minute trips at less than 40mph, and noticed the fan sometimes staying on after switchoff, even in the snow.

On the mpg thread, it was mentioned that every 500 miles or so, it does some extra phase that gets the DPF very hot to blast out the particulates.. and the fan often runs for a few minutes after switchoff when in this phase.

• 3 weeks later...

My first post

My Econetic seems to have a mind of it's own with regards the cooling fan. 4:30am on the way to work this morning after a gentle 4ml drive the fan cut in as I was parking outside my lift-share's house. I've spent 25 years in the trade 10 of those as a Ford technician and the only time I've seen cooling fans behave like this is when there is an overheat problem. Maybe I'm out of touch (Left motor trade 1996) but this car gives me no confidence. It's been in the dealers twice now and they say there's no fault with it. I'm going to ring the service manager again in the morning, it's got a few warenty jobs outstanding so I'll get him to have another look.

Realy impressed with the photos posted by Lenny on the 9th July, that explains a lot.

hmmm I have noticed recently that fan in my mk7 kicks in after about 3-4 minutes while not event moving my car. Then it is on for about 20s and goes off. After that 1-2 minutes and starts again. Should I be worried? thanks for any help.

You sure it's not your DPF regenerating? The fan will run for a while when that happens (every ~500miles) as the regeneration causes a lot of heat (manual says not to park over leaves as they will set on fire!)

You sure it's not your DPF regenerating? The fan will run for a while when that happens (every ~500miles) as the regeneration causes a lot of heat (manual says not to park over leaves as they will set on fire!)

Thats very possible if his car is a diesel....

Ken

Thats very possible if his car is a diesel....

Ken

stephenrhys1955 has the Econetic which is the 1.6TDCi 95PS DPF Stage V, 5-Speed Manual

• 3 years later...

I've noticed the fan staying on for quite a while twice now, (Mk 7 '13 econetic ) I was wondering if it was a diesel engine problem ?

Air con on? It does that if you are using air con.