Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Latest recall 2022 fhev/phev

davekuga

Just been informed by email of a fire risk and to book car in for remedial work apparently a con rod is defective  damaging engine block causing oil to pool and catch fire. Looks like the remedy is drill holes in the area oil will pool??? What about thd defective mechanics that are causing this.  is the engine on this 37k car not durable . I  am awaiting ford's response on this as I'm not happy. fix the problem so that oil doesn't leave the engine. We will wait and see. Car booked in for 10th august apparently takes 1 hour.....

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, davekuga said:

a con rod is defective  damaging engine block causing oil to pool and catch fire. Looks like the remedy is drill holes in the area oil will pool

I would love to know more about this. Please keep us all updated with developments 👍

REPAIR REQUIRED ON YOUR KUGA PHEV / FHEV 
Dear Kuga Customer,  

I want to inform you about an upcoming recall that will affect your Kuga Plug-in-Hybrid (PHEV) or Full Hybrid (FHEV) vehicle before you receive an official notification in the post. 

The safety of our customers is a top priority and we take all potential issues very seriously, particularly around safety.  As of July 11, we were made aware of three incidents across Europe with Kuga PHEV, where an under bonnet fire began caused by a specific engine failure. In the unlikely event that  a connecting rod fails, it can break through the engine block causing oil to leak from the engine. This oil can become trapped in the engine under shield due to a lack of sufficient air flow through the engine compartment. In some circumstances, this trapped oil can become the catalyst for a fire due to the closeness to the exhaust system. 

We have informed authorities and our dealers in Europe about this potential issue which affects Kuga vehicles with a 2.5L Duratec FHEV/PHEV engine that were built between Aug 2, 2019, and June 13, 2022, in Valencia, Spain.  

The necessary repair instructions have been issued to our dealers. Therefore, I’d ask you to contact your Ford dealer so that the necessary modifications to prevent this scenario can be carried out. Your Ford dealer will make some small changes to the vehicle which will significantly increase the air flow and prevent the accumulation of oil in the under shield in the event of an engine block breakage. These changes will have no impact on your vehicle’s operation or performance, the work will take approximately one hour to complete during a while-you-wait appointment. If your Ford dealer needs your vehicle for a longer period, we want to ensure you remain mobile therefore your dealer can either arrange collection and delivery of your vehicle or provide a replacement vehicle free of charge, subject to availability, and may not be a like for like replacement 

Ford has not issued a Stop Drive instruction, so you can still drive your Kuga PHEV, I would encourage you to schedule an appointment at your Ford dealer at your earliest convenience. 

I apologise for any inconvenience that this causes you. If you have any questions or you would like to talk to us, please give the Customer Relationship Centre a call on 0203 564 4444 (option 4) or contact us via email at UKCRC1@ford.com.
Yours sincerely,
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Ft1.euemail.ford.c
Lisa Brankin
Managing Director
Ford Motor Company Limited
  • Thanks 1

Surely you'd notice if your con rod had exited through the block? That would cause an oil "leak" on any ICE car.... 😕

• Haha 2

Exactly... why should this happen unless using defective parts to start with if it does happen surely it's a new engine required. Not cheap if the 3 Yr warranty has expired

• Like 1

3 hours ago, unofix said:

I would love to know more about this. Please keep us all updated with developments 👍

I wondered how long before this recall was posted on here. You get a free bag of oil absorbent granules and a fire extinguisher. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I’d be more bothered by the engine throwing a rod than where the oil ends up. Why aren’t Ford addressing why the rods are going in the first place?

This sounds so farcical that only chief inspector clouseau could investigate the failure.

Yet another classic case of Ford knowing that there 'is' a real problem and trying to fix it with a sticky plaster. Now would you want to buy a 4 year old kuga with a potential time bomb under the bonnet ?

So not on my shopping list of Ford vehicles to buy:

Any 1.0 Ecoboost Engine

Any Kuga with a 1.5 Ecoboost Engine

Any with a 3 cylinder engine

and now, any Kuga Plug-in-Hybrid (PHEV) or Full Hybrid (FHEV)

Actually I'm at a loss as to what Ford make these days that I might want to buy !!

Old Henry must be turning in his grave.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, unofix said:

This sounds so farcical that only chief inspector clouseau could investigate the failure.

Yet another classic case of Ford knowing that there 'is' a real problem and trying to fix it with a sticky plaster. Now would you want to buy a 4 year old kuga with a potential time bomb under the bonnet ?

Any 1.0 Ecoboost Engine

Actually I'm at a loss as to what Ford make these days that I might want to buy !!

I have just emailed my supplying dealer telling them.that unless Ford agree to solve the mechanical issue then as I  have only had the car less than 3 months I intend to reject the vehicle as Ford have already admitted in writing that a fault was present at point of purchase. Watch this space!!! 

10 hours ago, unofix said:

Any 1.0 Ecoboost Engine

Focus ST it is then 😉

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, alexp999 said:

I’d be more bothered by the engine throwing a rod than where the oil ends up. Why aren’t Ford addressing why the rods are going in the first place?

Sadly, I'm sure you know why as well as I do...  Ford have no interest in providing a reliable car.  However they have a legal obligation to provide a safe car.  Hence all of the daft recalls like adding coolant sensors rather than keeping coolant in the engine, limp mode if the clutch starts slipping rather than fitting a stronger clutch, and now this, which is purely to prevent a fire, rather than preventing a breakdown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

Focus ST it is then 😉

I think you might be on to something 👍

12 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Sadly, I'm sure you know why as well as I do...  Ford have no interest in providing a reliable car.  However they have a legal obligation to provide a safe car.  Hence all of the daft recalls like adding coolant sensors rather than keeping coolant in the engine, limp mode if the clutch starts slipping rather than fitting a stronger clutch, and now this, which is purely to prevent a fire, rather than preventing a breakdown.

It's not a case if preventing a breakdown or a fire its a case of substandard build quality  using defective parts and not being of merchantable quality at point of sale. Despite a promise from Ford customer relations to contact me by 6pm.today they have not bothered.vehicle os being rejected first thing tomorrow. And if they want to take me on.. come get it . I have taken on bigger better companies than Ford and won 🏆

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, davekuga said:

It's not a case if preventing a breakdown or a fire its a case of substandard build quality  using defective parts and not being of merchantable quality at point of sale. Despite a promise from Ford customer relations to contact me by 6pm.today they have not bothered.vehicle os being rejected first thing tomorrow. And if they want to take me on.. come get it . I have taken on bigger better companies than Ford and won 🏆

One customer rejecting a car is small change to Ford.  Much cheaper for them to accept that than to recall thousands of cars to replace inadequate parts.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

One customer rejecting a car is small change to Ford.  Much cheaper for them to accept that than to recall thousands of cars to replace inadequate parts.  

Very sad, but unfortunately very true. Only when 80% of owners who are able to reject their vehicles do so, will Ford actually do something.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2022 at 10:36 PM, unofix said:

Any 1.0 Ecoboost Engine

Is that all the engines to avoid??? I'm coughing as I type, must be COVID.🤣🤣

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, iantt said:

Is that all the engines to avoid??? 

There's more? Not much left apart from the diesels and the Mustang V8?😀

49 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

There's more? Not much left apart from the diesels and the Mustang V8?😀

Yep. 

• Haha 1

There is another choice - I know they haven't been out for long, but the Mustang Mach-E hasn't had any con rod or cambelt failures yet. 

1 hour ago, alanfp said:

There is another choice - I know they haven't been out for long, but the Mustang Mach-E hasn't had any con rod or cambelt failures yet. 

That's right. 

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/07/mustang-mach-e-owners-are-suing-ford-over-a-defect-that-leaves-the-suv-dead-in-its-tracks/

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, iantt said:

Allegedly another "Quality" product from Mick Mouse associates incorporated.

How can a company get it so wrong repeatedly ?

11 hours ago, iantt said:

Is that all the engines to avoid??? I'm coughing as I type, must be COVID.🤣🤣

I was feeling quite smug about my engine until I read that, does this mean my Dragon might start spitting out fire from the wrong end some time soon and end up like all the dead Foxes 🦊 we keep reading about 😬

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tizer said:

I was feeling quite smug about my engine until I read that, does this mean my Dragon might start spitting out fire from the wrong end some time soon and end up like all the dead Foxes 🦊 we keep reading about 😬

Your ok. Sleep well. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2022 at 4:46 PM, unofix said:

Hi unofix. Supplying dealer have accepted car rejection they were fine about it (allenford). Car going back tomorrow. Ford rang me today finally, and said how about some goodwill to keep you in the car ?.... not a chance in hell. This problem I'd not only uk but world wide its badly machined crankshafts that is causing the issue. When oressed as to why they not replacing crankshafts they had no answer. I said cheap badly manufactured parts to save a few quid on manufacturing is not a good idea. Its obvious they hoping car would not go bang till 3 yr warranty is up then the aggro owners will have is going to be immense. Goodbye Ford hello vw.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, davekuga said:

obvious they hoping car would not go bang till 3 yr warranty is up then the aggro owners will have is going to be immense.

Thank you for your update. I'm pleased for you that you have been able to reject the car without problems. This yet another sad chapter in what has become all to common a story in the world of Ford.

I have loved the Ford brand since childhood and have always thought they made some fantastic models. It seems now the fire is going out and before long the once mighty Ford will be confined to the history books of motor manufactures that had it all and then lost the plot !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club