Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake squealing

Maximus59

I have a 2017 Ford Focus and after putting new brake pads on and driving between 20/30 miles they have started squealing, looking for remedies to the problem 

do I need to apply copper past if yes what area of the pads do I apply the past ? On all 4 pads ?

I have always put copper grease on every area of the metal backing where it touches    anything else, that’s on the back of the pads and the edges of the metal backing.  Sparingly though. 

That’s very kind of you to answer 

do you mean that you copper grease the metal clips that go into the piston caliper ? As well as the surrounding metal areas? 

As Issetta says. DO NOT get the grease on the linings! If theres a shim between the back of the pad and the piston, just smear a thin film of grease over both sides of the shim. Make sure all surfaces a clean and dust-free first of course.

Hi yes I understand that you wouldn’t put grease on the linings only the rear metal parts of the pads 

my question is what about the metal clips that go into the piston caliper?

Thanks for answering 👍

23 hours ago, Maximus59 said:

Hi yes I understand that you wouldn’t put grease on the linings only the rear metal parts of the pads 

my question is what about the metal clips that go into the piston caliper?

Thanks for answering 👍

No they don't need greased. Also a good idea to pull out the pistons and grease them with some red rubber grease so they don't stick.

Thanks that’s great advice, will let everyone know how I get on 

🤞🤙

What brand and type of brake pads did you use?

Brake pads should have a chamfered edge to prevent squealing.

Brake-Pad.jpg

Apec1-760x500.jpg

When installing brake pads that do not come with a chamfered edge you should apply the chamfered edge yourself (for example by sanding/grinding).

Copper grease is a thing from the past. I have not seen copper grease been prescribed for brakes in workshop manuals within the last 20 Years. There are much better products recommended/prescribed by brake manufacturers for this purpose. Most dedicated brake lubricants are ceramic or silicone based. I always use the Brembo B-Quiet for brake pads. It is pretty inexpensive and will serve you many Years.

Brake_Lubricant%20Edit.png

When the brake pads do still squeal after you made sure that the pads have a chamfered edges and are properly lubricated there is not much you can do. Some brake pads that are made from hard friction material have the nasty ability to squeal. For example Bosch brake pads and Motorcraft brake pads (also made by Bosch) are well known for squealing. 

• Like 2

That's what I used last time and have had no problems with squeal.

• Like 1

Ok guys I have ordered the MINTEX CeraTec Ceramic Brake Grease Anti Squeal as recommended should be arriving next Tuesday so will let you all know how it’s working out 

cross fingers it works 

thanks again for all the good advice 

Hello 

well I have fitted my Brembo front pads , I have used the mintex cera tec ceramic brake grease anti squeal as recommended and I have applied in all the recommended areas and I have done 30 miles and I still have some brake squealing? So I am at a loss as to what to do next?

any suggestions? 
thanks 

try another make in the pads, Brembo are not all there cracked up to be., i`ve never had problems with mintex or pagid brands

Thanks Andy I had a feeling that might be the case or just put up with the squealing 😞 

• 1 month later...

well I have done 300 miles on these Brembo pads, squealing starts 

used copper past no change used  mintex  past  still no better loud squealing so I have given up and I have fitted new Ford front pads and I have done 100 miles with no paste and no squealing result.

So I guess always fit Ford replacement parts 

13 minutes ago, Maximus59 said:

well I have done 300 miles on these Brembo pads, squealing starts 

used copper past no change used  mintex  past  still no better loud squealing so I have given up and I have fitted new Ford front pads and I have done 100 miles with no paste and no squealing result.

So I guess always fit Ford replacement parts 

Sometimes that's absolutely right... though not always.  But you only find out which parts should be Ford and which can be non-Ford, by experience or getting advice from a forum like this.

• Like 1

Did you break them in correctly? Try a few high speed, high brake force runs to get some heat into them and see if that helps. I've come across instances where people have been really light on the brakes and the pads have glazed, either that or you may have a master cylinder issue and reduced brake force being applied.

• 1 year later...
On 8/4/2022 at 6:43 PM, Maximus59 said:

I have a 2017 Ford Focus and after putting new brake pads on and driving between 20/30 miles they have started squealing, looking for remedies to the problem 

do I need to apply copper past if yes what area of the pads do I apply the past ? On all 4 pads ?

Hi Maximus59,

I know this is an old post but it is a subject that never seems to completely go away.

I am chasing just such a problem now. When you say you used Ford pads were they actually Ford pads or were they Motorcraft pads. I know they are supposed to be just the same but I would be interested to know, and have they continued to behave.

Regards,

Ken 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club